Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v Maribor CL Qualifier 2nd Leg TV3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ah Ambrose!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Both these teams would be easily beaten in the group stages. I'd say Legia Warsaw are kicking themselves for their stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Celtic drawn with Legia in the Europa would be dangerous.

Would be a media dream though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Johansen has been absolute muck tonight. Not sure why he's not been hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Probably better they don't make Champions League at this rate. It's disgraceful stuff from the players and management so far. I feel sorry for the lads who I saw getting the bus to the game at 7 this morning to go and watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Poor fare alright. The game is at a pedestrian pace. Celtic don't look like they have an equaliser in them either. There is no pressure on Maribor and Celtic look like they have given up from the body language.

Check their team sheet lads, we're not out of this yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Scottish football is like a dog with two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Celtic really do look like they're just a tiny step above Airtricity League league. Dundalk would give them a real test.

Been switching between this game and United and it's hard to tell who's worse.

St Pats gave Legia a better game, so you're probably right to be honest

• Advertisement

The Maribor player is holding the wrong foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Dempsey wrote: »
    The Maribor player is holding the wrong foot!

I think van Dijk caught him on his standing foot actually. Maybe it was a dive though.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I think van Dijk caught him on his standing foot actually. Maybe it was a dive though.

I watched for that, minimal contact if any at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Been a decent game since the Maribor goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

PauloMN wrote: »
    This is never a CL side lads. Embarrassing stuff. A few of these players need to be gotten rid of, starting with Ambrose.

I think Maribor deserve to progress.

Maribor are a very poor side and don't deserve to be there any more than Celtic does.

Kevin Kilbane was right there in commentary when he said Celtic's 1st half performance gave them confidence.

I will lay this defeat squarely at the foot of Ronny Deila, more particularly at the board.

He shouldn't be Celtic manager. He was originally earmarked as a number 2. .

Commons should've started tonight for one thing. He should not be Celtic manager right now, not ready for it, and it shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Celtic out and rightfully so

The performance in the 1st half gave Maribor all the hope they needed. Truly hapless performance by the players and management

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Complete and utter tripe.

To think many people turned their noses up at the suggestion of Roy Keane getting the job.

Delia is completely out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

This is gonna cause a **** storm now. Accusations will be thrown around like no business. Something is seriously wrong with Celtic at the minute, from the core out. Heads have to roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Celtic getting exactly what they deserve. They should have been embarrassed taking to the field in this round.

Ultimately, they have been embarrassed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

To think many people turned their noses up at the suggestion of Roy Keane getting the job.

100% out of his depth, with the options out there his appointment was criminal

Despite all I've seen and didnt want to see, I still wouldnt want Roy Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

To be fair looking at the standard of football tonight neither team deserve to be in the draw on Thursday. Over both legs I actually thought Celtic were marginally the better side but such are the breaks.

keith16 wrote: »
    Celtic getting exactly what they deserve. They should have been embarrassed taking to the field in this round.

Ultimately, they have been embarrassed.

Nonsense. Legia broke the rules and were punished by UEFA. It just so happened to reverse the tie. You do understand how rules work, dont you?

This is gonna cause a **** storm now. Accusations will be thrown around like no business. Something is seriously wrong with Celtic at the minute, from the core out. Heads have to roll.

I would have thought this was readily apparent before tonight. Beaten by Legia Warsaw by the same score they beat Pats by.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

Don't think the it can all be blamed on delia they don't have the players, stokes/ambrose are league of ireland level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

MeIsGod wrote: »
    Don't think the it can all be blamed on delia they don't have the players, stokes/ambrose are league of ireland level.

Ha.

MeIsGod wrote: »

It can and should. The setup of the team in the first half was wrong and it all stemmed from that. The core of the squad was there last season and played much better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

How could Keane solve some players not being good enough? In ten weeks? Please stop this Keene nonsense.

Didn't take our chances when we were on top, especially when we dominated the first leg. They were better tonight, grew as the game went on and we suffocated under the pressure. Didn't deserve to be in the CL anyway and hopefully we'll go on a run in the Europa.

Virgil missed the same chance late vs Milan but still a hero.

Nonsense. Legia broke the rules and were punished by UEFA. It just so happened to reverse the tie. You do understand how rules work, dont you?

They made an innocuous administrative error which has a precedent of leniency.

This was severely punitive. In any case I perfectly understand how rules work. I also understand how they are sometimes applied sensibly given the context.

Celtic out anyway. Champions league will be demonstrably better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Soups123 wrote: »
    100% out of his depth, with the options out there his appointment was criminal

What options???

Nobody with a bit of potential wants the job same as no decent players want to join us.

We're playing in a mickey mouse league with no competition and have been dragged down to the level of the rest of the teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

After being given a reprieve by Legia's stupidity and UEFA's stricter than previous application of the rules, Celtic go and show how awful they are all over again. A waste of a second chance at Champion's League football.

keith16 wrote: »
    They made an innocuous administrative error which has a precedent of leniency.

This was severely punitive. In any case I perfectly understand how rules work. I also understand how they are sometimes applied sensibly given the context.

Celtic out anyway. Champions league will be demonstrably better for it.

Again, nonsense. The standard punishment was applied for this rule break. They didnt register a suspended player so they could register another. Innocuous indeed. Everyone knows you have to be registered for a competition to serve a ban.

RoryMac wrote: »
    What options???

Nobody with a bit of potential wants the job same as no decent players want to join us.

We're playing in a mickey mouse league with no competition and have been dragged down to the level of the rest of the teams

There are still plenty of managers who would love the honor of matching Celtic. The club deserve it for letting Lennon go.

I agree some managers wouldn't want it but that's the clubs fault

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

After being given a reprieve by Legia's stupidity and UEFA's stricter than previous application of the rules, Celtic go and show how awful they are all over again. A waste of a second chance at Champion's League football.

Stricter? How?

There are still plenty of managers who would love the honor of matching Celtic. The club deserve it for letting Lennon go.

Lennon left because he wanted to go.

Name one decent manager who would be interested.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Stricter? How?
    Whenever a "major" club is involved UEFA will find a way to moderate their punishment. I should have been more careful with my choice of words. Personally, I think the rules should be applied strictly in all cases as it only ever benefits bigger teams when they don't. Celtic deserved their second chance but were just far too poor to make the most of it.

I'm still not sure after watching that who was supposed to be playing centre midfield for Celtic

• Advertisement

Despite all I've seen and didnt want to see, I still wouldnt want Roy Keane

I would've wanted Keane or someone like him who would take the job.

Keane turned it down, Henrik Larsson turned it down, Neil lennon left for the same reason that they turned it down. Lack of ambition at board level.

I think we would've qualified tonight if Lennon or Keane was in charge. There's 20 million worth straight away.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I would've wanted Keane or someone like him who would take the job.

Keane turned it down, Henrik Larsson turned it down, Neil lennon left for the same reason that they turned it down. Lack of ambition at board level.

Neither Keane nor Larsson were offered the job.

The revision of history in this thread is gas.

Neither Keane nor Larsson were offered the job.

The revision of history in this thread is gas.

They were sounded out. When they heard the sounding out, they declared themselves not interested. Don't split hairs. We ended up with a Number 2 in the hotseat and he fcked it up. He probably wont last in the job now, pushed in to to it before he was ready.

Nice 1 Pedro, pushed the brinkmanship too far this time, you're brinkmanship has cost Celtic big time.

Lack of ambition at board level.
    It's hard to be ambitious when you're playing in a league where there's only one "big" team. Rangers have still been the second "biggest" team in Scotland for most of their journey back towards the top.

Lads, this is the match thread, so management talk is going a little if topic if say

Did anyone hearing booing at half time, was it Celtic fans booing ?

Lennon left because he wanted to go.

He left because he knew what the board wanted to do, lack ambition

• Advertisement

They were sounded out. When they heard the sounding out, they declared themselves not interested. Don't split hairs. We ended up with a Number 2 in the hotseat and he fcked it up. He probably wont last in the job now, pushed in to to it before he was ready.

Nice 1 Pedro, pushed the brinkmanship too far this time, you're brinkmanship has cost Celtic big time.

Several people are sounded out for jobs everytime a club looks for a manager. Its not a job offer and thats not splitting hairs.

It's hard to be ambitious when you're playing in a league where there's only one "big" team. Rangers have still been the second "biggest" team in Scotland for most of their journey back towards the top.

A Rangers team will be in the SPL next season. Celtic needed to punt a bit this summer, to keep Lennon or to get Keane. They didn't punt. They failed.

He left because he knew what the board wanted to do, lack ambition

The havent done anything different in the last 8 years. Lennon got the job because he would work with the transfer policy and left when he achieved all he could. Showing patience with Lennon when he could have been easily sacked and backing him consistently with player investment to UCL group stages etc is lacking ambition. Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

What have either Larsson or Keane done that makes you think they'd have done better.

There's no need to take this thread off topic as Rory sums up our problems (not all of them, but the main ones) perfectly.
    RoryMac wrote: »

It's as simple as that really.

Neither Keane or Larsson have the managerial experience of Delia, both of their managerial careers have more failures than successes. On paper Delia was the better choice.

No doubt the board have made mistakes but throwing millions at Keane to spend would've been far more dangerous long term

• Advertisement
Advertisement