Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a quick question

Options
  • 26-08-2014 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Hi. Not too sure but where to post this, I post this over in the education part of the site before but got no reply.

Anyway I will try keep to a minimum. I am looking to go back to college and get degree in something medical/science related. I didn't really do well in the LC got 160 points mainly down to me thinking I knew it all and did not need to study. Anyway I am 24 now and was recently in hospital and it was fairly serious so I know now I need to get the show on the road.

I have always enjoyed science and found anything medical interesting. I looked up some information on courses etc. The CAO is not available till next year, so I think it would be good for me to do a course between now and then. The college down the road from me has a Pre University Science Course.

Just wanted to know what people might think if this would be a good idea and would I get a good course in university or if I would get a job at the end of my studies !

Or any feedback on the course itself ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

"Medical/Science related" is a very large field. Which science subjects do you prefer? Why? What is it about medicine that interests you, the caring for people? the knowledge? The "prestige"? Are you willing to work shifts or on-call? How important is responsibility and money to you?
    If you want to care for people but don't have a strong interest in science or responsibility or money jobs like porter, health care assistants etc are an option.
    If you want to care for people, have a general interest in medical science and wouldn't mind shift work try nursing.
    If you're really interested in science, want to apply science to help people and wouldn't mind on-call work go for biomed, radiography, medical physicist, pharmacist,
    If you enjoy science, want lots of patient contact, don't mind shift work and on-call and you want the responsibility of being the team leader for all the people above, do medicine.

You probably qualify for consideration as a mature student for which CAO points aren't always important though proving your ability/competence in other ways would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If you're really interested in science, want to apply science to help people and wouldn't mind on-call work go for biomed, radiography, medical physicist, pharmacist,

I would be interested in this field of work, I enjoy reading and finding out about things and constantly learning. I don't mind shift work as I work shift work at the moment. I would be lying if I said money was not important but I would just like a decent wage nothing mental also some responsibility I wouldn't mind at all I can work just as easily on my own or in a team.

As for why medical? Why anything really, I guess I just enjoy science subjects and find them easier to understand as examples can be most of the time around you. As I said I am new too all this and as you also said it is a big field. I would be looking to go into something that would be challenging but achievable but holds a job at the end of it. I would be willing to work hard.

Advertisement