Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Programs.. I don't know where to apply

Options
  • 26-08-2014 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm just writing this post to find out more about the different graduate programs going as I'm struggling to find information.

I'm a Computer Science student, heading into final year and starting my homework now so I don't miss out on any good opportunities out there. I'm a 1.1 average student, with just over a year's experience working for 2 different IT related multinationals. I've a working vocabulary in French, having previously worked in France if that's of any relevance either..

I'm looking to find out more about IT consulting type programs if I can, rather than programming oriented ones.

If anyone on here has information about different companies out there such as:
      Company Name Location Graduate program type Renumeration (i.e. holidays, free lunch etc.) How to apply Your thoughts experiences there or applying for there..
    and anything else you think might be relevant to someone shopping around the different offerings, if you could post up it would be appreciated.

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

[link to bullying video removed by mod]

Sorry I had to...

Ahh, you didn't. And please don't. Just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

The two IT multinationals would be a great place to start, assuming you made a good impression while there, could you get in touch with them about any opportunities once you graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

Wow a 1.1 average, working French vocabulary and already over a year's experience with 2 multinationals in your field

It's 'remuneration' by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

RomanGod wrote: »
    Wow a 1.1 average, working French vocabulary and already over a year's experience with 2 multinationals in your field

It's 'remuneration' by the way

Thanks, though I enjoyed my previous internships, I'd like to find out what opportunities are out there before I decide where to go..
    Sorry about the typo, for some reason I thought it looked wrong! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Off the top of my head I'd suggest you look at some of the following:

MultiFonds (IT, and finance based in Lux)
    JP Morgan
    CitiBank
    StateStreet
    Deloitte
    Accenture
    KPMG
    PWC
    WebSummit

You get the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Just be careful about being "too" picky , I was when I started looking for a job. I'd also consider london , you sound like a good candidate for the consultancy companies over there. A good "in" there is via your college career service - or at least it used to be :)

InReality wrote: »
    Just be careful about being "too" picky , I was when I started looking for a job. I'd also consider london , you sound like a good candidate for the consultancy companies over there. A good "in" there is via your college career service - or at least it used to be :)

I'm trying not to be, just its hard to find much information about some places. As far as locations go, I'm happy to stay here or venture abroad really. The problem with waiting to ask my college careers service is that we don't start back until late in September and I know milk-rounds, especially for the bigger firms, usually start first thing in October.
    :pac:

Clauric wrote: »
    Off the top of my head I'd suggest you look at some of the following:

MultiFonds (IT, and finance based in Lux)
    JP Morgan
    CitiBank
    StateStreet
    Deloitte
    Accenture
    KPMG
    PWC
    WebSummit

You get the idea.

Thanks for the suggestions Clauric.

Has anyone worked for any of the above and know what their grad program or even the application process is like?

Glassdoor is pretty good to find out about companies.

What sort of stuff do you really want to know ?

I forget how the milkround works but you will probably have to do a very lengthy application form as part of a job application for these crowds.

I don't think you will find much difference between say accenture and KPMG , no matter how much they will tell you otherwise.

The real difference might be the hours they expect you to work , some might be much worse than others.

Also have a think about other companies graduate programs, and other jobs in general . For example P&G , while not being a very trendy place , would probably give you more budget and responsibility , while accenture etc might be just doing powerpoint/excel .

InReality wrote: »
    Glassdoor is pretty good to find out about companies.

What sort of stuff do you really want to know ?

I forget how the milkround works but you will probably have to do a very lengthy application form as part of a job application for these crowds.

I don't think you will find much difference between say accenture and KPMG , no matter how much they will tell you otherwise.

The real difference might be the hours they expect you to work , some might be much worse than others.

Also have a think about other companies graduate programs, and other jobs in general . For example P&G , while not being a very trendy place , would probably give you more budget and responsibility , while accenture etc might be just doing powerpoint/excel .

Well tbh I'd be happy to know whatever anyone's willing to tell me like:
    What kind of training they offer
    What kind of wages, extras, days-off etc. might be included
    Where they were based (i.e. Dublin, London, Cork etc.)
    Typical working day and hours
    Their experience working as a grad for these companies or their application process
    and any other useful info they can think of.. :pac:

As for other programs and companies.. I'm pretty much open to looking at any different companies to find out more about them so if you've any information relating to P&G or similar please feel free to share
    :D

• Advertisement

The P&G stuff I remember from a milkround presentation years ago.

The big differences, esp in pay, will be between a job here vs job in London etc.

Do you want to do programming/software development work ? I know in Accenture here first year can be sometimes a bit of a let down as a lot of it's "IT" Work would be Software Testing .

Advertisement