Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction work-Neighbours both sides

Options
  • 26-08-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Our neighbour to our right began carrying out construction work since July, and we kept fairly quiet about the nuisance (noise, hard to park in our driveway due to trucks blocking, workers going in our backyard to set up scaffolding without permission, lack of privacy given the extensions literally look over our garden and bathroom window, which we usually open given hot days) and didn't want to make a big fuss. What can ya do? Then, a few weeks later, our neighbour to the left decided they wanted to get an extension too! :pac: Now, this one was a doozy, given we share walls (semi-detached) so the drilling, pounding, hammering from around 7.50-8AM, do render our house partly a vibrating, clanging piece of brick. Now, we didn't hear a peep from the neighbours when this started until one day, we complained to one of the main man of crates blocking our driveway. Fine, that's sorted. What I'm wondering now is the accepted time to carry out the construction, isn't 9pm a bit unconscionable to hammer away?? I would've assumed 6 or 7pm is enough for the day, no? Can anyone point me to any information about regular hours of construction allowed, if any? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Not sure of times but longer hours mean they are out of there quicker?? However entering your garden is not on. Ask builder for their insurance to work on your property....,

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

The standard times for construction works in Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown are:
    Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
    Saturdays: 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
    Sundays & Bank Holidays: Works normally not permitted.
    However, please note that these are guideline times only, and in certain circumstances it may be necessary for building works to take place outside of these hours.
    from here most places probally be appox same hours check with local coucil cant post url add the www
    dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/wasteservices/reportit/noisepollution/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

gangsters / its very important to keep close contact with immediate neighbors when carrying out construction work , to tell them what's going on the work been done and time it should take to complete , letter in your door sometimes does to explain and a number to call if you want to discuss absolutely any of your concerns , working on the shared wall without notification and at an agreed time is just lack of respect ( for all they know you could have something expensive on a shelf or hanging on that wall or sleeping baby) putting scaffolding in your yard is the same ( lack of respect ,and the blocking of your driveway) all of these issues and concerns should be brought to the builders attention not the workers although they should know better they only answer to him and not even the owner of the house their working on sometimes 9/10 times their just following orders. so you should just ask them when the boss comes back to drop into you for a chat and I bet you it will all be sorted ;) works better than going to officials ,way better . best of luck now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

8am to 8pm. Otherwise you go afoul of noise pollution laws. 9pm is not acceptable. There are laws about windows overlooking property's regarding distance but I'm pretty sure the time to complain about that is during the planning application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If there was any! The extensions might be permitted development...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If there was any! The extensions might be permitted development...:(

If construction is going on for months with extended construction hours then it must be huge surely.

Op, look for the planning permission online (search for your road) and see what was granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

camz09 wrote: »
    workers going in our backyard to set up scaffolding without permission

I'm angry just reading that :mad:

I hope you ran them out of it. Or at least asked to see their insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

We had something similar back in April. Our immediate neighbor started work without even a courteous word to tell us what they were doing. The jackhammers just started up at 8am one morning. Now I have no problem with work going on but it would have been nice had they just knocked on our door and had a word. To make it worse they moved out for 12 weeks while it was going on so were completely oblivious to the disruption they caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Thanks for the response, guys. Yeah, we asked for our nextdoor neighbour's mobile and got it, just so we can let them know when they're still doing work past 8 as they themselves told us they agreed with the builders regardin time not going beyond that. Same here, both neighbours are out and hardly seen so it can be hard to get a hold of them esp. at the start. Looked at fingal site and saw my right side neighbour's planning permission (also found out the owner on their other side appealed their application but eventually, they were approved) I can't find the neighbour on the left side's (which is causing a bit more nuisance) planning info on the site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

camz09 wrote: »
    I can't find the neighbour on the left side's (which is causing a bit more nuisance) planning info on the site though.

Interesting. Both would have been required to apply for planning permission, regardless of the size of the works. And both would have been required by law to display it clearly on the front of their houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Interesting. Both would have been required to apply for planning permission, regardless of the size of the works. And both would have been required by law to display it clearly on the front of their houses.

Not necessarily, if the extension is to the rear of the house and is under 40m square then no planning permission is required.

I recently completed some construction work in my back garden, I called into all my adjoining neighbours beforehand to give them a heads up and my number in case of any issues. They were very pleased I did so and I hadn't a single issue with them:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Both would have been required to apply for planning permission, regardless of the size of the works. .

Thats factually incorrect. Not all building work requires planning permission.

Its likely the case given the scale of the work the OP describes but to come out with a sweeping statement like that is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

is this a two storey building? If so the second level must be 2m from the site boundary and there are limits on what they can build without planning permission. Check to see if permission has been obtained in relation to the extension being built. Just because it is out back does not mean they can build what they want.

Builders on your property is trespass. As per other posts any builder that wants access must provide insurance documents and have full permission from you once all the required access has ben determined. I'd even consider asking for a bond as even lawn can be churned up and destroyed by builders who don't care one iota for your property. Your not paying them a penny after all.

Advertisement