Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly dog peeing indoors

• 26-08-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭

Need some advice on this.
    My almost 15 year old spaniel has taken to peeing indoors. But it gets more peculiar.
    He does it at almost the same time and in nearly the same place every night. He spends most of the day indoors and one day he was left alone for too long and there was an accident, that's the only thing we can think of that may have brought this on.

Any advice on how to deal with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clean the area with biological washing powder to rid it of the smell.

Also can you take the dog out at that time as habit, to break the existing one?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There's nothing for it op, before contemplating anything else, he needs to go to the vet for blood tests, urinalysis, a musculoskeletal exam, and a general exam.
    In a dog of his age, I can't emphasise enough how important this is.
    Good luck op, the oldies really need that extra bit if tlc :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

DBB wrote: »
    There's nothing for it op, before contemplating anything else, he needs to go to the vet for blood tests, urinalysis, a musculoskeletal exam, and a general exam.
    In a dog of his age, I can't emphasise enough how important this is.
    Good luck op, the oldies really need that extra bit if tlc :o
    Pampered? He's spoilt like a King! He basically does whatever he wants most of the time. When he started showing his age 3 years ago we started letting him sleep indoors at night but he wouldn't settle in any other place than at the end of my parents bed, on the floor!
    We do get him checked at the vets every now and then, he's been on medication for the last 3 years so we bring him in every few months anyway or if he needs his shots etc. he hasn't had bloods done in a while but the last time he did was perfect. And as for urine, no idea how that can be done to a dog.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Pampered? He's spoilt like a King! He basically does whatever he wants most of the time. When he started showing his age 3 years ago we started letting him sleep indoors at night but he wouldn't settle in any other place than at the end of my parents bed, on the floor!
    We do get him checked at the vets every now and then, he's been on medication for the last 3 years so we bring him in every few months anyway or if he needs his shots etc. he hasn't had bloods done in a while but the last time he did was perfect. And as for urine, no idea how that can be done to a dog.

I once adopted a beast from the pound who was supposed to be one breed but turned out to be another and when the rescue at the time discovered this, they disowned him.

He came to be mine via fostering.

Your dog sounds like it used to sleep outdoors, this chap slept indoors and on his first night all 60kg of the beast landed at the end of my bed, doors being no problem to him.

He was old for his x breed and size, and a fortune was spent on keeping him alive, he once allegedly got one tin of food less than he was due and eyed the vet staff until he did.

He died after one too many run ins with lady luck, a rottie/ridgeback cross aged about twelve, fairly unheard of.

TL:DR: Spend the money on taking your faithful friend to the vet, vets know how to get urine samples from dogs and will advise you(as could I) but your post comes across as a bit begrudging towards the dog and it's care.

Lol, lovely to hear he's enjoying life's comforts :)
    Elderly dogs should have annual blood and urine testing, and a good examination of muscles, joints and bones. Indeed, testing twice a year might be more appropriate. The fact that your lad hasn't had either done since his toileting behaviour has changed means that it needs to be done, because a medical issue is the most likely cause.
    The musculoskeletal system needs a good going over in older dogs because creakiness, pain or discomfort can make a dog less able, or less inclined to get to an appropriate toilet area quickly enough.
    Urine is easier to collect from a male... Your vet will give you a kidney dish to capture the dog's urine stream as he pees when you get to the surgery, or you can use a very clean bowl at home, pouring it into a clean bottle for the vet to analyse the same day. Your vet can advise in any case:)

• Advertisement

Yes he used to sleep out in his Kennel at night but would be inside all day once there was someone home, now though he's inside almost all the time.
    We were in the vets about 2 weeks ago for annual shots and she checked him out, listened to his heart and so on and said everything was fine. He has a small growth which will have to be removed soon so will be back in then and will mention this habit to her.
    We got him as a 9 week old pup and he will (hopefully) be 15 just after christmas. Disnt mean to come across as begrudging at all by the way.

Edit: Just saw DBBs comment he has a herniated disc in his spine, that's what his medication is for and you can definately see it taking its toll on him physically. Walks are getting shorter and shorter all the time and just his overall ability to get around is not what it used to be. We know signs when he needs the toilet though so it's usually easy to spot but for about a week now he has been going in this one spot well away from where we can see him.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    We were in the vets about 2 weeks ago for annual shots and she checked him out, listened to his heart and so on and said everything was fine. He has a small growth which will have to be removed soon so will be back in then and will mention this habit to her.

With all due respect, no vet can tell that the kidneys, liver, bladder and other organs etc are fine from an external exam. Your dog is peeing out of the ordinary, so things are not fine now. I wouldn't be leaving this any longer OP, if he needs another procedure carried out I'd be inclined to expedite that and get everything done as soon as you can.
    We know signs when he needs the toilet though so it's usually easy to spot but for about a week now he has been going in this one spot well away from where we can see him.

He's choosing a far-away spot for a reason, it's associated with the whole indoor-peeing thing being so out of character for him. A housetrained dog who is caught short will often try to find a secret place to toilet. Having to pee inside, for a housetrained dog, can be pretty distressing for the dog, so for this reason alone I'd be calling the vet tomorrow to arrange for all tests and the growth to be removed asap.
    Remember OP, a change in toilet habits is a strong indicator of a medical problem, and with an elderly dog, these things need to be taken that bit more seriously and acted upon quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

My elderly dog first started to show signs of age related incontinence, like yours, by an odd accident/pee in the kitchen.

We put up with the accidents quite happily - he was loved, and it was a very small price to pay.

Eventually, the vet thought (though he had regular checks for an ongoing condition) we needed to do bloods etc - found masses of growths in his bladder & his liver was shot. So OP, dont delay, get your dog checked - once there is anything odd/new in the peeing dept, its worth having their bloods alone checked for kidney/bladder/liver issues. The vet can also do a simple pee test - dips a 'stick' in the pee - instant results.

(To get a urine sample (you are lucky you have a dog - much easier than a bitch!!) simply bring your dog to the car park outside the vets surgery. He will pee on the first/every tyre in the place - you slip the kidney dish (from the vet) under his leg mid-pee :p - done it dozens of times - works every time!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a small female dog and often have to get a urine sample (medical issue), she's close to the ground so I follow her around the garden with a ladle and a small Tupperware container (postman caught me once, that was embarrassing).
    Hold ladle under her as she pees, tip into Tupperware container, if you wash them in dishwasher first they will be sterile or near enough.
    Male dog should be much easier, long handle on the ladle saves you getting splashed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

OP, the reason he's peeing in the same spot all the time, is because he smells where the pee was and thinks, oh, that must be where I'm supposed to go then. When you've cleaned it up with whatever you usually use, rub vinegar over the area and that kills the smell.
    Of course though given his age I'd definitely take it as a sign to take him to the vet for a look over.

• Advertisement

Vets tomorrow.
    Its so hard to make them fast for 12 hours before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Let us know how you get on

Advertisement