Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daws

Options
  • 26-08-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Good luck to him

Speaking for the final time before embarking on the next chapter of his career with the Tigers, the 30-year-old defender picked out some of his favourite moments in a Spurs shirt and had a special message for our supporters...
    Michael, tell us about the last 24 hours. It must have been quite an emotional day for you...
    Yes, very emotional. I saw the lads at the Training Centre yesterday and everyone at the Club and it was emotional, there’s no hiding it. I’ve been at the Club for nine-and-a-half years and I’ve enjoyed it so much, so many happy times, met so many great people, made many, many friends. But you know, that’s football. I knew my opportunities were going to be limited this season and I’m someone who loves playing football. I had the chance to join Hull City and it’s a club I know very well through the family connection with my brother (Andy Dawson) playing there for so long. I also spoke to Jake (Livermore) and Tom (Huddlestone), they love it and Steve Bruce, someone who played in my position, who I watched when I was a young player. I’m 30 now but I want to go there and continue to improve.
    Do you remember your first day at Spurs back in January, 2005?
    Yes, of course. I was thinking about it today, walking into Spurs Lodge for the first time with Andy Reid. I just hope I can play as well at Hull as I did for Spurs, give as much to the club and try to get the fans to love me as much as the Spurs fans did, they were special to me.
    How would you describe your nine-and-a-half years here?
    In one word – amazing.
    It’s been a rollercoaster ride for you at the Club, hasn’t it?
    There were some ups and downs. All the matches we won, the Champions League, the League Cup we won, the League Cup Final we lost, the semi-final against Arsenal, my slip in the semi-final against Pompey, Manchester City in 2009 – those moments will live with me forever.
    What was the one moment that sticks out as your favourite from your time here?
    It has to be AC Milan, leading the team out at the San Siro in the Champions League. When I left a Championship team at Forest to play in the Premier League, I dreamt about playing with and against world-class players. I’ve achieved that at Spurs.
    What would be your top five Spurs moments?
    I’d go for the League Cup win, AC Milan home and away, the 5-1 win against Arsenal and scoring my first goal in the win against Chelsea. People will probably mention more now but that’s the five off the top of my head – not bad!
    You played 324 times for us. How much does that mean on a personal level?
    I take a lot of pride in that. I was only 21 when I made the move to Spurs and if someone would have said that to me then, I would have bitten their hand off!
    Have you a message for the fans?
    I don’t know where to start. They’ve been incredible to me. I’ve had some tough times in that nine-and-a-half years as well but they’ve always been there for me, so a massive thank-you to all of them.
    Imagine yourself in 30 years’ time – what will you tell your grandchildren about your time at Spurs?
    I would just talk about unbelievable memories, great times, great matches. I’ve made so many great friends along the way as well. I suppose players spending that amount of time at a Club doesn’t happen as often now but I can truly say I’ve loved every minute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Best of luck to Daws at Hull City,he served Spurs well.He was a rock in defence in our CL qualifying season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

One of my favourite players of the last decade, great servant and a great lad aswell. Best of luck Daws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I'll miss those long diagonals to nowhere;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

KingdomYid wrote: »
    One of my favourite players of the last decade, great servant and a great lad aswell. Best of luck Daws.

Couldn;t agree more. Always gave his all and never hid when things went wrong. Good luck to him.

Topspurs piece on Daws that sums his time up very well.
    27th August 2014 - Farewell Michael Dawson

Most of the current Spurs squad are technically more gifted than the majority of their predecessors but few connect with the fans on an instinctive level like Michael Dawson who today left the club for Hull City after 9 years of excellent service during which the club returned to the upper echelons of English football. Better players have come and gone without a word let alone a eulogy on here, but Dawson was special in that in an era of charisma-less journeymen super athletes, he still seemed normal, one of the crowd made good as a footballer, and someone who enjoyed every minute of it.

Dawson signed in 2005, the second billing in a double deal from Forest with Andy Reid, but quickly emerged as the diamond. Spurs were starting to recover from a decade in the doldrums that season when Dawson made his debut in the 'Edman' 2-2 at Anfield in April 2005. He quickly became a fixture at the back with what was to be his long term centre back partner Ledley King (who'd also made his debut at Anfield some years before). Dawson was a key ingredient and one of the few constants of first the Jol and then Redknapp eras which featured Spurs best league finishes in a generation, the memorable Champions League run to the last 8 and a Wembley Final. Unfortunately it was the United game in 2009 where he helped keep a clean sheet for 120 minutes before succumbing on penalties and not the win over Chelsea the year before where he'd helped Spurs to final in the memorable 5-1 semi final win over the Goons.

Even in his early days, fans fretted about Dawson's apparent lack of pace and his old fashioned no-nonsense style in an era where continental sophistication is valued over traditional blood n guts, and where players are assessed by individual statistics and poxy heat maps rather than courage and team achievement. Fears about Dawson shortcomings were more apparent than real and even when he occasionally got done, the supreme class of Ledley was usually there to mop up. Ledley was great and the unquestionably the better player, but you'd probably pick Dawson for a more interesting chat over a pint - which is how they'll be remembered in the collective affections of the fans. In saying that, Dawson was still good enough in his own right to win 4 England caps, the same as fellow Yorkie Spurs defensive legend Cyril Knowles, and a total that would no doubt have been higher had his career not coincided with the similar playing style of John Terry.

Mention of Chelsea brings up the Chelsea 2-1 game in 2006 in which Dawson headed the equalizer which ended a 16 year league period without a win against them. That season was the making of both Dawson and the newly credible Spurs who returned a consecutive 5th place finish while battling on three cup fronts to the semi and quarter final stage, including on the return to Europe after a six year absense. In all that season, Dawson started 58 of the 59 games in all competitions - not quite the legendary 66 of 66 Perryman managed in 81/2 (4th place, semi-final, runners up and a FA Cup win) but nonetheless a fine achievement. Being part of Spurs greatest ever win in Europe, the 1-0 aggregate win over Milan where Dawson marshalled a 120 minute shut out of the Italian giants, was another fine achievement, as was being player of the year in 2010 as Spurs broke back into the top 4 for the first time in 20 years and being club captain in recent seasons.

The standards for the great club servants are set by the likes of Perryman and Mabbutt who graced the shirt for around 16 years but both came from an era where players stayed at clubs longer, and also had the opportunity to drop back through the team from midfield to defence to prolong their career. While not on a par with those two, Dawson still deserves to be added in somewhere in this group given his commitment in this more volatile era.

Dawson ended up with 304 (20) appearances and notched a respectable 10 goals (again pretty similar to his partner for so many of those games Ledley KIng 314 (6) 14 goals) and although now 30 with his powers starting to wane a little in terms of Spurs standards at the very top of the league, hopefully he can enjoy a few more seasons up at Hull in the EPL and we'll get to find out what its like trying to defend his long diagonal passes!

Spurs fans admire all the brilliant skillful players who have represented the club, but there is always a special often longer lasting affection for those who demonstrate courage and determination - Roberts, Mackay etc. There is also affection for Dawson's honesty - he never needed to kiss the badge or do one of these awful cliched gestures to know he was giving 100%. Also as one of the less naturally gifted players, fans knew he had to work that much harder to get and to stay at the top.

Daws we salute you and good luck in the future
    image035.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

gonna miss those puppy dog eyes chasing his tail around and licking the ice cream off the 99er that levy no doubt splayed out for on his last day.
    A gent and at his peak good enough for us.
    good luck to him in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I was at his debut in 2005 - he was MOTM

Enjoyed most of his time at Spurs but selling him now is the right decision

Good luck to the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I was at his debut in 2005 - he was MOTM

Enjoyed most of his time at Spurs but selling him now is the right decision

Good luck to the lad

Now I was at his debut in 2005;)

went to see him play in a spurs side including Keane at st pats ground. keane scored the winner in a 1nil demolition lol.:D
    i cant remember if Reid played at all, been a long time ago that :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

As a Liverpool fan I think spurs are mad to let him go.
    He is a top class defended and is someone liverpool could do with at the moment.
    We can't defend for f*ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

As a Liverpool fan I think spurs are mad to let him go.
    He is a top class defended and is someone liverpool could do with at the moment.
    We can't defend for f*ck

Was, his legs are gone, he doesn't suit the high line as we found out last year. He'd be perfect in a team that just sits there and defends.

Advertisement