Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Station Road (Portmarnock)

Options
  • 26-08-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm considering buying an apartment in in one of the developments on the Station Road.

I have done a bit of research and have found:

Annual flooding at the Station Road roundabout when a high tide happens at the same time as some heavy rainfall, roads closed, pain for all concerned.. How does this affect you guys on a day to day basis when it happens? It is every year? Is it one day, then its open again, or several days?

I have also looked at the local development plan for the area (http://www.fingalcoco.ie/planning-and-buildings/development-plans-and-consultations/adopted-local-area-plans/portmarnock-local-area-plan/). It looks like the area between Station Road and Moyne road will be developed into residential / with an eco buffer zone. Anyone here have any opinions on this? Were there objections? Do you think it will negatively impact the area?

The area of Land behind the apartments "Sluice River Marsh", looks to be 100% Eco Buffer, with no development potential. this is the area that floods onto the road at the roundabout, but is this area also going to get flooded? Have the apartments ever flooded? Would a ground floor apartment be risky?

Any other practice advice / info is welcome.

Thanks Guys!

HS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

HotSwap wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm considering buying an apartment in in one of the developments on the Station Road.

I have done a bit of research and have found:

Annual flooding at the Station Road roundabout when a high tide happens at the same time as some heavy rainfall, roads closed, pain for all concerned.. How does this affect you guys on a day to day basis when it happens? It is every year? Is it one day, then its open again, or several days?

I have also looked at the local development plan for the area (http://www.fingalcoco.ie/planning-and-buildings/development-plans-and-consultations/adopted-local-area-plans/portmarnock-local-area-plan/). It looks like the area between Station Road and Moyne road will be developed into residential / with an eco buffer zone. Anyone here have any opinions on this? Were there objections? Do you think it will negatively impact the area?

The area of Land behind the apartments "Sluice River Marsh", looks to be 100% Eco Buffer, with no development potential. this is the area that floods onto the road at the roundabout, but is this area also going to get flooded? Have the apartments ever flooded? Would a ground floor apartment be risky?

Any other practice advice / info is welcome.

Thanks Guys!

HS.

Hi ya!

The area does indeed flood on a high tide / bad rain combo. From my own experience of living in the area all my life, the flooding subsides rather quickly, though could be back the next day during a prolonged wet spell. Recently Fingal Co Co have been sending a truck to suck up all the water.

I was living down in Seabrook Manor (admittedly furthest from the roundabout) during the really bad flooding a few years back, and even though portmarnock was essentially unreachable (I tried a very risky maneuver to get through the coast rd at malahide after finding every avenue impassable) my ground apartment was bone dry when I was able to get down the next day.

Pretty much all the roads onto that stretch will flood in a bad spell (Moyne rd., the roundabout, the road to donaghmeade, the road down past kinsealey driving range, the road under the bridge past portmarnock race course / driving range), so keep in mind there is a chance you could be unable to get in or out if there's a spell like the one we had a few years back.

I don't think that you will have too much trouble with flooding in your apartment, that area behind the apartments seems to be able to hold a lot of water, though I can't confirm if the links or kilns have suffered from flooding in the past.

I think the development is a bit bittersweet. On the one hand, more properties will mean more houses for people to actually live in, and there is a definite shortage in the area, but on the other hand, it will mean less drainage ground for and area that typically gets quite flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Hi ya!

The area does indeed flood on a high tide / bad rain combo. From my own experience of living in the area all my life, the flooding subsides rather quickly, though could be back the next day during a prolonged wet spell. Recently Fingal Co Co have been sending a truck to suck up all the water.

I was living down in Seabrook Manor (admittedly furthest from the roundabout) during the really bad flooding a few years back, and even though portmarnock was essentially unreachable (I tried a very risky maneuver to get through the coast rd at malahide after finding every avenue impassable) my ground apartment was bone dry when I was able to get down the next day.

Pretty much all the roads onto that stretch will flood in a bad spell (Moyne rd., the roundabout, the road to donaghmeade, the road down past kinsealey driving range, the road under the bridge past portmarnock race course / driving range), so keep in mind there is a chance you could be unable to get in or out if there's a spell like the one we had a few years back.

I don't think that you will have too much trouble with flooding in your apartment, that area behind the apartments seems to be able to hold a lot of water, though I can't confirm if the links or kilns have suffered from flooding in the past.

I think the development is a bit bittersweet. On the one hand, more properties will mean more houses for people to actually live in, and there is a definite shortage in the area, but on the other hand, it will mean less drainage ground for and area that typically gets quite flooded.

When the flooding is in full effect, it is still possible to access the apartments from the other direction, at no point would I be "cut off" from getting access to the apartment?

I have been reading the reports, and it really looks like a lot of careful planning has gone into the drainage of this new development. Hopefully no corners would be cut.

Anything else that you can think of that I might be interested to know about the area? I'm currently renting in South Dublin, Dublin 12 and looking for something a little different, I am a first time buyer. I work in Damastown (1 exit North of Blanch), which is ~ 20 min drive from Portmarnock (Perfectly acceptable for me as a daily commute).

Thanks!

HS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

HotSwap wrote: »
    When the flooding is in full effect, it is still possible to access the apartments from the other direction, at no point would I be "cut off" from getting access to the apartment?

I have been reading the reports, and it really looks like a lot of careful planning has gone into the drainage of this new development. Hopefully no corners would be cut.

Anything else that you can think of that I might be interested to know about the area? I'm currently renting in South Dublin, Dublin 12 and looking for something a little different, I am a first time buyer. I work in Damastown (1 exit North of Blanch), which is ~ 20 min drive from Portmarnock (Perfectly acceptable for me as a daily commute).

Thanks!

HS.

In the worst flooding, you could be potentially fully cut-off. Taking the floods a few years back, and I was travelling back from town, and there was no way I could get there. That said, it was a freak occurrence, added to that, the flooding does tend to subside quick enough, given that the streams all drain into the sea, which is nearby. There is always work going on with the drainage there, there's a sluice gate around the roundabout, that actually does it's job at letting the water out quite well, it's just that around autumn with all the leaves it can get a bit blocked. That said, I can't remember any bad flooding recently, which in the past would have certainly flooded the place. I think they did some works on the roundabout recently which seems to have worked.

Portmarnock's a lovely area, can get a bit swarmed on sunny days, but apart from that is generally quiet, Malahide's not far off for a nice pint on the weekend, taxi back from town will cost you about €20 - 25.

I actually work out that direction myself (Cruiserath, just before Damastown), the drive around the back of the airport is handier if you want to skip traffic / the M50, or just want some nice scenery of the airport runways, takes about the same time ;)

Advertisement