Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inventory before moving in

Options
  • 26-08-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello

I'm new in the country and I have a small question: is it mandatory when you move in and just before signing the leasing contract with the real estate agency, to do an inventory?

I mean for checking for damages, stains on carpets, door that can't close correctly, broken window...

It doesn't seem the case apparently for me. I'm suppose to move in soon but I have to sign the contract a day before moving in. The agent didn't mention anything about such inventory, is this normal here?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Hello

I'm new in the country and I have a small question: is it mandatory when you move in and just before signing the leasing contract with the real estate agency, to do an inventory?

I mean for checking for damages, stains on carpets, door that can't close correctly, broken window...

It doesn't seem the case apparently for me. I'm suppose to move in soon but I have to sign the contract a day before moving in. The agent didn't mention anything about such inventory, is this normal here?

Thanks in advance.

Inventories are not mandatory in Ireland and a lot of agents and landlords do not prepare them. When they are done they are often just a list of contents that ignore the more important issue of condition.

There is however nothing to stop you making an inventory and passing a copy to the agent / landlord for them to agree.

It is also worth taking a lot of date stamped digital images and attaching these to the inventory.

If they will not sign the inventory I would suggest sending a copy of it to the agent / landlord with a polite covering note acknowledging that they have chosen not to sign it but you would like a copy kept on record. You may have no issues at all at the end of the tenancy but this action will at least show you took all possible steps to achieve an agreed inventory if you do end up in dispute. It will work in your favour.

On a more simple level it is worth bearing in mind that a lack of inventory works against a landlord since the onus is on them to justify any deposit deduction they may make.

Finally if the agent is only letting the property, not managing the tenancy, they will not usually do an inventory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Gasherbraun has given excellent advice. Ireland has such a cowboy approach to the rental market that it is in your interest to make sure you are covered when ending the tenancy. In any dispute settlement process the winner will be the person with properly maintained records, photographs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 gigatoaster

Excellent advice. Thank you so much.

It is definitely the farwest here.

Advertisement