Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphone 6 via Parcel motel

• 26-08-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

So it getting near that time if the year again with the new iphone 6 just about to be announced
    As usual we here in ireland will most likely be left waiting the usual 3 to 4 weeks For release dates for ireland....
    Last year I ordered one from apple uk and got it delivered to a uk address, I might not have that option this year so iam considering using parcel motel!

Did anyone have any probs last year using this service for a new expensive item like this???
    I see that there an option on parcel motel to increase liability to 1000e for 10e

Cramp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

For iphone 5, it was released in Ireland exactly one week after the US so it's possible it won't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Hopefully that would be the case this year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    For iphone 5, it was released in Ireland exactly one week after the US so it's possible it won't be worth it.

Yes released one week later with a 3-4 week delivery wait. So getting in there early on UK would have meant no 3-4 week delay.

Also, the 5s was released a month later in Ireland than the UK last year. So...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Yes released one week later with a 3-4 week delivery wait. So getting in there early on UK would have meant no 3-4 week delay.

Also, the 5s was released a month later in Ireland than the UK last year. So...

ok didn't realise that, mine was from my network operator so was delivered on the launch day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

cramp wrote: »
    So it getting near that time if the year again with the new iphone 6 just about to be announced
    As usual we here in ireland will most likely be left waiting the usual 3 to 4 weeks For release dates for ireland....
    Last year I ordered one from apple uk and got it delivered to a uk address, I might not have that option this year so iam considering using parcel motel!

Did anyone have any probs last year using this service for a new expensive item like this???
    I see that there an option on parcel motel to increase liability to 1000e for 10e

Cramp

Hi I emailed Parcel Motel a few weeks ago about the same situation except with a Macbook. They informed me that Apple, as they use couriers, will not allow their products to be sent to Parcel Motel

• Advertisement

Interesting....
    I know from last year a good few guys here used PM.....
    Things must have changed since the !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've had stuff delivered to PM thats need a signature. Usually not an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

godtabh wrote: »
    I've had stuff delivered to PM thats need a signature. Usually not an issue

Yes, PM sign for you in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Used PM for 5s last year with no problems. Will use it for the 6 this year and get the insurance for piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

i can't see it being a problem either, Apple use the standard couriers (i think mostly DHL) and DHL have had no problems delivering to Parcel Motel for me before for other items

• Advertisement

Well that's just what Parcel Motel told me. Maybe they're just being safe or something. If anyone here tries it out let us all know as Apple UK is usually way cheaper than over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Well that's just what Parcel Motel told me. Maybe they're just being safe or something. If anyone here tries it out let us all know as Apple UK is usually way cheaper than over here.

€11 cheaper judging from Google's currency converter + longer delivery + cost of parcel motel.

Not really worth it I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Only worth it if there is Ireland isnt in the first wave of launches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

dmcg90 wrote: »
    €11 cheaper judging from Google's currency converter + longer delivery + cost of parcel motel.

Not really worth it I think.

Worth it for anyone that wants it ASAP but can't afford the time or extra cost to drive all the way up to Belfast. I think I had the 5s last year around 4 or 5 weeks before it was delivered to anyone that ordered from apple.ie.

For example order it on the 19th September, prob get a delivery time of around the 20th of October. It usually comes a few days earlier than it says. Prob not available to order from apple.ie till around the the second or third week in October, then another three to four week wait on top of that meaning mid to late November when you get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Sorry all dumb question.........But I've not used PMotel yet and I've had an account since they started.So if the iPhone is going to UK first,I'm going to use PMotel.Could someone tell me where you put the PM ID in on Apple's delivery address form or how the whole Antrim address should be laid out.Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

bazzz wrote: »
    Sorry all dumb question.........But I've not used PMotel yet and I've had an account since they started.So if the iPhone is going to UK first,I'm going to use PMotel.Could someone tell me where you put the PM ID in on Apple's delivery address form or how the whole Antrim address should be laid out.Thanks

Just include the PM number in the first line of the address and the rest is straight forward.

PM is simple and a very good service from what I have experienced.

Also, look at the help on their website for more details.

Just put your name as

Mr bazzz PM 1234

Thats what I do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Thanks Guys;)....Just wanted to be sure.

So it should look like this

k4jzuf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

so if i do my sums right, its about 30 euro cheaper on the apple UK site? add in the PM cost and its still cheaper?

539 pounds on UK apple store = 671 euro
    V's
    699 euro on Irish apple store

Thanks Guys;)....Just wanted to be sure.

So it should look like this

k4jzuf.jpg

I would say use address line 1 for your PM number

• Advertisement

So this year we are getting iPhones a week after uk release date!
    26th sept
    we can order on apple.ie

64gb 6L is 699gbp apple uk
    Or 899euro on apple.ie

Sterling rate ATM works out at 870euro

Might wait this year
    What u guys thinking !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

So can you pre order this Friday 12th? Can you order it for collection in the Belfast store , or is it only for deliveries ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So can you pre order this Friday 12th? Can you order it for collection in the Belfast store , or is it only for deliveries ?

Pre order for uk delivery. So to a friend in uk or parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

kceire wrote: »
    Pre order for uk delivery. So to a friend in uk or parcel motel.

Wonder will shipping time be 2-3 weeks as it was last year with the irish launch. Hopefully they'll have enough available. I can see the 6+ being the most popular of the two.

cramp wrote: »
    So this year we are getting iPhones a week after uk release date!
    26th sept
    we can order on apple.ie

64gb 6L is 699gbp apple uk
    Or 899euro on apple.ie

Sterling rate ATM works out at 870euro

Might wait this year
    What u guys thinking !!

Yeah I put the uk saving at €25 for the 64gb version based on being up there last week, spending 19.95 in the apple store on my visa and being charged just under €25. So I am multiplying 799 by 1.25 giv or take.

Maybe more beneficial buying from the .ie store this time round.

Wonder will shipping time be 2-3 weeks as it was last year with the irish launch. Hopefully they'll have enough available. I can see the 6+ being the most popular of the two.

If I'm buying, I'll go for the 6.
    I'd say IRL shipping times will be 7 days for the first few orders but very quickly dropping to 3 weeks or so like previous launches.

That's why I usually buy up north. You get the phone in your hand there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I know it's not parcel motel related but I was looking at 6+ 128gb. €1000. Or €760 in canada where my niece lives.
    She is coming home at the end of October so could take it home but don't know if I can wait.
    If I get her to post it would I be hit for much duty or would it be less if she posted it from Canada to Belfast PM???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jarvis wrote: »
    I know it's not parcel motel related but I was looking at 6+ 128gb. €1000. Or €760 in canada where my niece lives.
    She is coming home at the end of October so could take it home but don't know if I can wait.
    If I get her to post it would I be hit for much duty or would it be less if she posted it from Canada to Belfast PM???

Irish VAT 23% on cost plus duty plus shipping, or UK VAT on cost plus duty plus shipping. If you go to revenue.ie there is a link to tell you the amount of Duty payable (if any).

For a €240 saving is wait till end of October where she can carry it safely. I wouldn't risk posting from outside of EU as most times you will be caught for VAT and customs.

• Advertisement

Most of the couriers are collecting revenue on most occasions I find now...
    you would have to insure it in case it got lost , so u would have to declare the value... which is probably most likely for a green lite to squeezed for vat.....

Canada to Belfast (uk) same thing on customs/import/vat

Advertisement