Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bats!!

Options
  • 26-08-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Any bat experts on the forum? Ive just been watching them flittering up and down the back gardens of the "wood".4 to 6 inch wing span..what type are they likely to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Most likely Pipistrelles, our most common bat and are often seen about suburban gardens. Probably the next most common is Leisler's bat but quite a bit bigger with an average wingspan of about fifteen inches and they generally like to hunt at a higher altitude but can be seen round street lights , floodlights etc.
    So there you go, the only two bats I know anything much about so in no way an 'expert' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

T'was Batman... Not a bat... ;)

Seriously, it could also be the Brown long-eared bat.

The good news is, these little guys that we have in Ireland are absolutely harmless and so on. If you want to attract them out to see them, go out at dusk into the garden. Throw a tennis ball straight up into the air. Watch as bats come out to try and "attack" the ball (thinking it's prey). I used to do this all the time down the back of Pres Bray when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Familiar with the Pipistrelles but never heard of nor seen the Leisler's bat. According to the attached Ireland is recognised for a significant population. Now that would a sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are Leislers bats in Glendalough, along with Pipistrelles and Daubentons. The Daubentons bats are great to watch, as they skim the lake picking off insects just above the surface of the water. The Lower Lake is a good place to spot them as is the river that runs from the Upper Lake through the trees by the Upper Lake car park.

Advertisement