If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music system upgrade

Options
  • 27-08-2014 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

My friend is looking to get a music system which will be primarily used to listen to music from an iPod ,can you quote for the following

1)stereo receiver /amp ,either Cambridge audio or Marantz
    2) compatible iPod dock
    3)inexpensive lead to connect dock to receiver
    4) pair of stand mounds /bookshelf speakers that are not too fussed where placed

Any clearance items available ?if not can you get your calculator out?

Total Max budget including delivery is 700 GBP

BTW I love my 50 Sony w829

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

dublinadil wrote: »
    My friend is looking to get a music system which will be primarily used to listen to music from an iPod ,can you quote for the following

1)stereo receiver either Cambridge audio or Marantz
    2) compatible iPod dock
    3)inexpensive lead to connect dock to receiver
    4) pair of stand mounds /bookshelf speakers that are not too fussed where placed

Any clearance items available ?if not can you get your calculator out?

Total Max budget including delivery is 700 GBP

BTW I love my 50 Sony w829
    Dublinadil,

Great to hear from you and thanks for the opportunity to quote :)

Unfortunately Marantz don't have a single Stereo receiver left in their range and if your friend is looking for stereo its a waste of money to pay for the additional amps included in any of their AV receivers - so I'd recommend the Cambridge Audio SR10 stereo receiver which retails at £249.95 http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-audio/topaz-sr10/camb-sr10-blk and it sounds great!!

If it was me I'd then add the Pure i20 dock at £72 http://www.richersounds.com/product/wireless-docks,-speakers-and-portables/pure/i-20/pure-i20 - this comes with video outputs and also Co-Ax and optical outs ( its a 30 pin connector though so it won't do an iPhone 5!) - if you want to be a bit more flexible I'd recommend a wireless dock or Streamer which would allow you to stream music from most phones and pads - add in a decent Cambridge Audio 100 Interconnect and a pair of the great Monitor Audio BX2 speakers and we are way under budget at under £600 ( approx. £597 including cables & interconnects......

....however if it was me, I would go for something a bit more left-field and I would try to integrate the new Denon Heos 'Link' system that is just about to launch - I would keep the excellent Monitor Audio BX2 speakers and add the Heos link at £299.95 ( have a look at it here: http://www.whathifi.com/news/hands-heos-denon-wireless-multi-room-system-review ) - then finally I would add a Denon PMA720 which is on a stunning clearance deal at the moment at just £159.95 - in total including cables and interconnects this system would come in at about £740 which is a decent discount from normal retail - for you as a good regular I'd reduce it further to just £649.95 - including delivery.

What this would give you is a really good quality amp and speakers - the Heos link will allow you to connect your iPhone either wired or of course wirelessly anywhere in the home network and also play radio via the 'Tune-in Radio' app built into the Heos app - you can also stream music via the USB input from a thumb drive and the link will allow you to control the volume of your PMA720 remotely from anywhere in the wifi network!!!

Of course the best bit is that you can then add on additional HEOS speakers anywhere in the house as budget allows and you can use your amp as the hub - ie whatever the PMA720 is playing can be streamed across your network and listened to and controlled remotely.... its a great system - available on a reasonable budget and best of all - its mega simple to setup and use!

Thanks again for the opp to quote and you know where we are if you would like to chat through the system options or of course if you would like to order,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew  

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dublinadil

John

The first option seems the best 

Cambridge audio ,wireless dock streamer (does it work with an ipod classic?)if not go with pure dock and bx 2 (walnut or rosemuh) ,Cambridge interconnects 

Total price inc delivery?

Dublinadil

John

The first option seems the best 

Cambridge audio ,wireless dock streamer (does it work with an ipod classic?)if not go with pure dock and bx 2 (walnut or rosemuh) ,Cambridge interconnects 

Total price inc delivery?

Dublinadil
    Dublinadil,

Cambridge Audio SR10
    Pure i20 Dock ( not wireless but will work with Classic no problem)
    BX2 Walnut
    Cambridge Audio 100 Phono>Phono
    Cambridge Audio symphony 100 speaker cable * 6 Metres

Retail is £588 - Boardie price including delivery = £519.95 / €659.99

If you did want to add a wireless streaming option them you could add on the Harman Kardon BTA10 which is an excellent wireless Bluetooth receiver - http://www.richersounds.com/product/wireless-streaming-accessories/harman-kardon/bta10/harm-bta10 we can add this at just £49.95 and you can then stream from any Bluetooth enabled phone or pad ( covers most devices :) )

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

John

No need for speaker wire ,will stick with the pure i20

What's the price now ?)

Will keep you posted once I let my friend know

John

No need for speaker wire ,will stick with the pure i20

What's the price now ?)

Will keep you posted once I let my friend know
    DA,

Leave it at £509.95 / €649.99 and thanks again for the opportunity to quote - much appreciated ( and I'll throw in an bit of decent speaker cable anyway if they want to go ahead :) )

ATVB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Dublinadil,

Cambridge Audio SR10
    BX2 Walnut

If you did want to add a wireless streaming option them you could add on the Harman Kardowe can add this at just £49.95 and you can then stream from any Bluetooth enabled phone or pad ( covers most devices :) )

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John or anybody else

Which in your opinion is the better option

The option above Cambridge audio with monitor audio bx 2
    Or

Marantz pm 6005 with dali zensor 3 speakers?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Dublinadil,

Cambridge Audio SR10
    BX2 Walnut

If you did want to add a wireless streaming option them you could add on the Harman Kardowe can add this at just £49.95 and you can then stream from any Bluetooth enabled phone or pad ( covers most devices :) )

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John or anybody else

Which in your opinion is the better option

The option above Cambridge audio with monitor audio bx 2
    Or

Marantz pm 6005 with dali zensor 3 speakers?
    Hi Dublinadil.

If you could pair the PM6005 up with the BX2 speakers you would have a very nice system.
    I like the sound of the Monitor Audio's over the Dali speakers myself.

Don't get me wrong the Dali's are cracking speakers but I just prefer the Monitor Audio range and use their speakers at home.

Hope this helps a little:)

I agree with Kenny - the PM6005 is a better unit than the SR10, but to be fair you lose the tuner function ( and its more expensive) However the PM6005 does have a USB input so it would save you having to purchase a dedicated dock - so it sort of pays for itself..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John and all 

So I believe the pm6500 does not have an USB input ,can you confirm ?
    If not can you provide price for the following including delivery  so ?

1) on UK site pm6500 and monitor audio bx 2 walnut HiFi deal  is 460 gbp
    2) ipure 20 dock
    3) aprropiate lead using the best method to connect dock to amp 

Regards

John and all 

So I believe the pm6500 does not have an USB input ,can you confirm ?
    If not can you provide price for the following including delivery  so ?

1) on UK site pm6500 and monitor audio bx 2 walnut HiFi deal  is 460 gbp
    2) ipure 20 dock
    3) aprropiate lead using the best method to connect dock to amp 

Regards
    Dublinadil,

sorry about that - I'm not sure what planet I was on - the CD6005 does have USB, but the PM6005 does not! ( It does have a D/a convertor and digital inputs but not USB) - if you were to go with the deal on the PM6005 / BX2 ( in any finish) I would add the excellent Cambridge Audio ID100 instead of the i20 as its a vastly better product: http://www.richersounds.com/product/wireless-docks,-speakers-and-portables/cambridge-audio/id100/camb-id100-blk - I use an ID100 myself - its always on my desk for my iPad / iPhone..

so pricing again:

Marantz PM6005
    Pure i20
    Monitor Audio BX2
    £529.95 / €674.99

Marantz PM6005
    Cambridge Audio ID100
    Monitor Audio BX2
    £529.95 / €674.99

Keep us posted!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

John and all 

Does the above price of 530 GBP include shipping?

Anyway can you get one of the guys to call me to arrange payment and delivery

Pm 6500 in black 
    Bx 2 in walnut 
    Ca Id 100 dock

I will also need 
    Lead to connect dock to amp
    4 metres of speaker cable
     Thanks 
     Dublin adil

John and all 

Does the above price of 530 GBP include shipping?

Anyway can you get one of the guys to call me to arrange payment and delivery

Pm 6500 in black 
    Bx 2 in walnut 
    Ca Id 100 dock

I will also need 
    Lead to connect dock to amp
    4 metres of speaker cable
     Thanks 
     Dublin adil
    Dublin Adil,

jeez £530 inc delivery! - that's my arm twisted right up my back... but no problem :)

On the interconnect - the best manner to connect it is via a coaxial cable - ( you could use optical as well if you prefer) I can do a really good quality Philips 1.5 Coax / phono terminated cable for just £9.95 in the bundle and given the amount you have purchased and that you are buying this for a friend we will throw in 4 metres of speaker cable to get them started. ( don't forget that the ID100 also has a video output which they can connect to their TV via composite - the Philips cable is a 3 to 3 phono so it will be really ideal - they can use one of the spare cores for their video!)

Thanks again and I'll get the guys to give you a shout - £539.95 all in??

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John

It won't be used for video ,just sound, if that changes your choice of interconnect ,

But ye 540 or thereabouts is great 

You can get one of the guys to call me )

John

It won't be used for video ,just sound, if that changes your choice of interconnect ,

But ye 540 or thereabouts is great 

You can get one of the guys to call me )
    Hi Adil,

Good speaking to you yesterday :)

Your order will be arriving with you today.

Chris

All

System is up and running and everything brilliant 

BTW does the pm 6500 contents include a remote control?

If it does . the remote wasn't included in the contents 

Dublinadil,

Yep it should sound brill - the ID100 is a really great dock - I'm using my one as we speak at my desk!

The PM6005 should come with a remote - check the packaging (esp the sides of the foam packaging) - if still cant locate us drop me a mail and I'll order up a replacement for you,

Thanks as ever and especially thanks for the business - its much appreciated,

ATVB,

John Mc

John,
    I have been informed that no remote unit could be found ..

Can you arrange a replacement to be forwarded ?

Thanks

John,
    I have been informed that no remote unit could be found ..

Can you arrange a replacement to be forwarded ?

Thanks
    Hi Dublinadil,

Very strange indeed.

We'll look into getting a replacement organised for you.

Apologies for any inconvenience.  

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.