Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Altura jacket - no satisfaction from shop

• 27-08-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I bought an Altura rain jacket in June from the Edge in Cork. One of those florescent yellow ones that packs away into its rear pocket. The first time I wore it was Sunday just gone, on the SKT. Throughout the ride, I had trouble with the zips catching on the material. On a climb, I'd open the zip down a few inches, with no issue. But on the descent, I'd zip it back up and it would invariably catch on the material. So I'd have to use 2 hands to free it. As it was windy, this usually meant stopping. The zip on the rear pocket was worse. The second time I used it, it got caught so bad in the material that it wouldn't budge, and I couldn't use it any more. Took my about 6-7 minutes to free it that evening.

I took it back to the Edge shop on Monday. They said they couldn't do anything for me, as it was bought about 10 weeks previously, but they'd get onto Altura. They rang be back yesterday - Altura wont do anything about it. Altura say that the loose material around the zip is necessary to allow the jacket fold away.

This is ridiculous. If the jacket cost 20 euro, I'd say fair enough. But it cost 83 euro. For that money, you'd surely expect that the zips would be hassle free for cycling. Am I expected to stop and use 2 hands every time I want to move the zip or get something from the rear pocket? I had a Polaris rain jacket very similar in design before this, and it never caught once. I have/had clothing from several brands at this stage (Polaris, Enduro, Castelli, Pearl Izumi, BBB, Bicycle Line, Madison, Spin 11, Velo Revolution), and the Altura is the only one I've been disappointed with.

As a bike shop selling bike clothing, I would have expected more from the Edge, especially as I've probably spent the best part of 1000 euros in there at this stage. I hardly ever bring stuff back to a shop.

Has anyone had similar issues with Altura clothing, or rain jacket zips? And does anyone know if this is something I can take further?
    Maybe I'm wrong, and should just leave this slide?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

is it a Pocket Rocket? its a design flaw as mine is the same... you just have to be really careful zipping it up as the flap inside the zip keeps getting caught in the zip. its not a jacket that you would zip up while cycling...you'd have to stop. nice jacket for showers in summertime but i don't use it that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Of course you can take it further!
    You are a consumer and you have rights.
    Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do. It sounds like the jacket does not!
    see
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

It sounds like what you have is more of a rain cape....I'm not sure zipping and unzipping regularly should be a priority on such a jacket...zips are going to get caught on any jacket, not to mind a rain jacket flapping around on a bike. Put your stuff in your jersey pocket underneath and pull your jacket up when fishing out gels or whatever else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

thekooman wrote: »
    is it a Pocket Rocket? its a design flaw as mine is the same... you just have to be really careful zipping it up as the flap inside the zip keeps getting caught in the zip. its not a jacket that you would zip up while cycling...you'd have to stop. nice jacket for showers in summertime but i don't use it that much.

Yes, its a pocket rocket. Do you not use it much because of the zip hassle? Or for some other reason?

ericzeking wrote: »
    It sounds like what you have is more of a rain cape....I'm not sure zipping and unzipping regularly should be a priority on such a jacket...zips are going to get caught on any jacket, not to mind a rain jacket flapping around on a bike. Put your stuff in your jersey pocket underneath and pull your jacket up when fishing out gels or whatever else.

No, it's more of jacket. When using it, I dont actually unzip it all the way. I just like to be able to move the zip up and down maybe 6 inches, depending on whether I'm climbing or descending. I use the zip on the rear pocket to get snacks and the phone when required. I find using the rear pocket easier than trying to lift the jacket up over the jersey pocket, especially when moving.
    I take your point that maybe zipping isn't a priority. But I paid 80 euro to have the option. I could probably have got a cape for 20 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

outfox wrote: »
    Yes, its a pocket rocket. Do you not use it much because of the zip hassle? Or for some other reason?

I don't use it that much because its just a boil in the bag type jacket. its handy if you are out in the spring/summer/autumn and it starts to make a shower. if its all day raining (like the wicklow 200 this year) i just use a gilet and arm warmers. i have a castelli lined jacket for winter.
    most jackets like this have that annoying zip thing but when you get it caught once you won't do it again.

Just an update on this. The Edge came back to me, and said that Altura have offered to take back my jacket and refund me. They inspected the jacket, and say there is nothing actually wrong with it. The flaps that the zips catch on are necessary for the foldaway design. But as a gesture of goodwill, they will refund me. Fair play to Altura, and to the Edge who chased it for me. Both of them deserve a mention here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Yes, now find something else as good / cheap as the pocket rocket that folds down to a similar size and is waterproof.

Let us know when you find something?

Cheap my arse. 83 euro it cost.
    But I'll keep looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Have a Pocket Rocket. Great jacket, but the light weight of the fabric means you have to be careful with the zip. That's the price of the light weight and small size. Used it on this year's Wicklow 200; I reckon I'd have been a lot wetter and colder without it. I think the OP's expectations are unrealistic, but glad to see he got his money back.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Agree. You were very lucky outfox. I'd say Its only cause you spend so much money at the shop that they helped you out.

Glad this had a good outcome. Though maybe next time try the jacket on in the shop before buying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They inspected the jacket, and say there is nothing actually wrong with it.
    what they're saying is 'our jacket is manufactured correctly to our bad design'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I think you're being completely unfair on the design. It is obvious what it is in the shop, a very light jacket that fits in the back of a jersey. You are completely free to get something stiffer (and heavier/bulkier).

I tried it in the shop. At that stage, the inside flap had a sort of inward bias, so it bent away from the zip. But after packing it away, and then taking it out, this inward bias had gone.
    Also, in the shop I made the mistake of trying the zip with 2 hands. Whereas on the bike, I like to be able to move the zip up and down a few inches as required with one hand. The rear zip is even more difficult.
    I take your point guys. I was lucky, and fair play to Altura. It's a good jacket. But at 83 euro, maybe the zip flap issue could be sorted. Or at least a note with the jacket to say you're gonna need 2 hands for the zips. I see that a similar Pearl Izumi jacket has a slightly thicker flap to stop catching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...Pearl Izumi jacket has a slightly thicker flap to stop catching.
    Good design making THAT jacket fit for purpose...;)

Advertisement