Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade stand licence/permit/insurance?

Options
  • 27-08-2014 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Hi - think this is the best forum to ask this question in!
    As per my thread in the "motorbikes" forum, we're moving our motorbike business from the UK to Ireland later this year. We're intending to operate trade stands at motocross etc race meetings (where we'll be competing anyway) with the permission of these events' organisers. These events are held on private land, throughout the country.
    Some questions that have sprung to mind from reading other threads on here re pop up shops etc:
    a) Will we need an "official" licence/permit of some sort to do this?
    b) If so, from whom?
    c) I've found 2 organisations - IOMST and MAST - whom you can join and organise PL insurance from...anyone any experience of either of these? Are there any more such organisations? Would we actually even need our own PL insurance or would we be covered by the event's own insurance?
    Thanks in advance for any advice/info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

As I undertstand it you do not need a casual trading licence to conduct this business inside a paid entry location. Some PL insurance cover is vital, but whether you need your own will depend whether the event holders cover also covers you, only they can answer that

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭minibear

MAST were recommended to us by a few market traders and we've been with them a year. They send out a weekly email newsletter with upcoming events and any snippets of news.

For most events you just need to provide a copy of your insurance, but some of the bigger events required us to have the organisers specifically indemnified on our insurance. MAST did this by return email, very efficient! I haven't seen any application for an event that DIDN'T require the trader to have their own cover.

I don't think you need a casual trading licence, but not 100% sure. We don't have one and we trade at a lot of different events. (food business)

Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

You do not need a casual trading licence unless the event is run by a public authority (co. council etc) or if it on private ground. You will need PL insurance, the event operator will have their own but it would not cover traders. You may also need Employers Liability if you have any workers/helpers with you. IOMST have been around for a long time and know their stuff, MAST not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

I contacted both IOMST and MAST for info/PL quotes. Was very impressed that I received a phone call from MAST as soon as I'd sent an enquiry via their website but then IOMST were quick to respond via email too. MAST is a wee bit cheaper per annum but just need to look into the small print etc of both schemes.

Advertisement