Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do on a weekend in Dublin

Options
  • 27-08-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

So, I'm bringing my English Missus to Dublin from London for a weekend next month. Just wondered about some suggestions. I'm thinking Kilmainham Jail and maybe the Guinness Brewery. Pub wise any suggestions for somewhere special?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Personally I'd be going for one of the few "real" Dublin pubs left these days - the likes of The Palace, Kehoes, McDaid's - they're not quite unique but they're original Dublin - but that's the sort of place that's to my taste anyway, may not be suitable for bringing a glamorous lady to :D (you might drag the standards up though).

I hate all the super-sized pubs with blaring music that seem to be everywhere these days, with super-sized prices to match.

I sound like a grouchy 90-year-old aulfella now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

For €30 you can do a hop on/off bus tour, a Pat liddy Walking tour and a dublin bay cruise and entry to The Little Museum. Dublin Bus run this tour every 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Personally I'd be going for one of the few "real" Dublin pubs left these days - the likes of The Palace, Kehoes, McDaid's - they're not quite unique but they're original Dublin - but that's the sort of place that's to my taste anyway, may not be suitable for bringing a glamorous lady to :D (you might drag the standards up though).

I hate all the super-sized pubs with blaring music that seem to be everywhere these days, with super-sized prices to match.

I sound like a grouchy 90-year-old aulfella now!

She's looking for a proper Irish spot with diddley eye music, but how many establishments are good quality with good trad music? I ended up in Templebar last year and it was truly awful, overpriced and gawdy. I'm really trying to avoid the tourist traps. An old haunt of mine was the long hall. Also, would appreciate some good restaurant/cafe suggestions, no chain places please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

The Church on Mary Street is lovely. I brought my English friend there for Lunch on Saturday and she loved it.

MsBubbles wrote: »
    The Church on Mary Street is lovely. I brought my English friend there for Lunch on Saturday and she loved it.

• Advertisement

lufties wrote: »
    She's looking for a proper Irish spot with diddley eye music, but how many establishments are good quality with good trad music? I ended up in Templebar last year and it was truly awful, overpriced and gawdy. I'm really trying to avoid the tourist traps. An old haunt of mine was the long hall. Also, would appreciate some good restaurant/cafe suggestions, no chain places please :)

Nooooooo! Not Temple Bar!!!! :eek:

O'Donoghue's is the very epitome of tourist trap, but I still rate it as a good place to have a pint and the music will be guaranteed! I think Foley's across the road does something similar, but I've never been there so can't answer for that.

Long Hall was another one that should have made my list - but it's a bit early in the morning to be dredging up all my best pub ideas :D

As for the restaurant bit - it's a bit out of town, but O'Brien's on Leeson St is another class place for a pint (you won't find diddly-aye music there though) and The Sussex upstairs is a really, really nice restaurant - mid-priced but great food.

Nooooooo! Not Temple Bar!!!! :eek:

O'Donoghue's is the very epitome of tourist trap, but I still rate it as a good place to have a pint and the music will be guaranteed! I think Foley's across the road does something similar, but I've never been there so can't answer for that.

Long Hall was another one that should have made my list - but it's a bit early in the morning to be dredging up all my best pub ideas :D

As for the restaurant bit - it's a bit out of town, but O'Brien's on Leeson St is another class place for a pint (you won't find diddly-aye music there though) and The Sussex upstairs is a really, really nice restaurant - mid-priced but great food.

Great, thanks.:) I'm not and never will pretend to be into trad music but its nice for the experience. I lived in Dublin for 3 years and Kehoes was a regular haunt of mine, along with whelans(even though I never even liked it), We are staying in a pub called mother reillys in rathmines, which is a nice spot but the only thing that I'd drink there is guinness. Its a shame dublin pubs dont generally have more variety than the usual heineken/carlsberg muck :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

MsBubbles wrote: »

Way overpriced and really not great.

Glasnevin Cemetery/Botanic Gardens and the Gravediggers pub. Sorted.

Birneybau wrote: »

A bit far to be travelling but good suggestion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Birneybau wrote: »

Agreed. Bring her to the gravediggers between 6 and 8.30 for the tapas in the lounge, and then in to the bar for a pint. You won't find a more genuine or unique pub in Dublin, and the food is fantastic.

• Advertisement

Other places I've had good food and a good time.....

Ely wine bars (one on Ely Place, the other down by the Grand Canal Docks)
    Fallon & Byrne (esp downstairs if you can get a table)
    FX Buckley's (esp Parkgate St, again a bit out of town but another great pint waiting for you downstairs in Ryan's)
    Stag's Head
    The Chilli Club (haven't been there for years and years, mind you)
    Talbob 101 used to be great as well, but also haven't been there for yonks (don't even know if it's still open!)

Cafés - one of my favourites is Keoghs just off Dame St - they have the BEST muffins you'll ever taste, and the rest of their grub ain't bad either.
    Cake Cafe on Camden St.

ETA - have just seen that you're staying in Rathmines. Head down to Ranelagh - which can be painfully chi-chi, but you won't be short of a ton of places to eat and drink well!

ETA again - more and more pubs have craft beers and lots outside the usual Bud/Heino/Carlsberg rubbish (which I won't touch with a bargepole!). You often need to ask though, lots may only have bottles, although you'll see taps in some places. O'Brien's Leeson St (my local growing up in case you're wondering why I'm plugging it so much) usually has a selection of bottled craft beers, and FX Buckleys/Bull & Castle at Christchurch is renowned for its selection of beers. Don't assume that the usual suspects are all that's available - make sure to ask!

FX Buckley's (esp Parkgate St, again a bit out of town but another great pint waiting for you downstairs in Ryan's)
    Stag's Head
    Talbob 101 used to be great as well, but also haven't been there for yonks (don't even know if it's still open!)

Cafés - one of my favourites is Keoghs just off Dame St - they have the BEST muffins you'll ever taste, and the rest of their grub ain't bad either.
    Cake Cafe on Camden St.

ETA - have just seen that you're staying in Rathmines. Head down to Ranelagh - which can be painfully chi-chi, but you won't be short of a ton of places to eat and drink well!

ETA again - more and more pubs have craft beers and lots outside the usual Bud/Heino/Carlsberg rubbish (which I won't touch with a bargepole!). You often need to ask though, lots may only have bottles, although you'll see taps in some places. O'Brien's Leeson St (my local growing up in case you're wondering why I'm plugging it so much) usually has a selection of bottled craft beers, and FX Buckleys/Bull & Castle at Christchurch is renowned for its selection of beers. Don't assume that the usual suspects are all that's available - make sure to ask!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind, I'd love a few pints of beamish but I'm sure you'd struggle to find that. Craft beers in bottles I wouldn't be too bothered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

A bit far to be travelling but good suggestion.

I walk it in about 25 mins from the City Centre, much less than that on a bus.

Sorry, just copping that you are in Rathmines. Ok, I get it that it's a bit far out but the 83 would drop you from door-to-door. :)

Ohh, just remembered, a new crowd have taken over the Rathmines Inn and it's now called 'Blackbird' and is a pretty cool craft beer pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Great, thanks.:) I'm not and never will pretend to be into trad music but its nice for the experience. I lived in Dublin for 3 years and Kehoes was a regular haunt of mine, along with whelans(even though I never even liked it), We are staying in a pub called mother reillys in rathmines, which is a nice spot but the only thing that I'd drink there is guinness. Its a shame dublin pubs dont generally have more variety than the usual heineken/carlsberg muck :o

You could try Mulligans in Stoneybatter http://www.lmulligangrocer.com/ for some nice food and a great selection of pints, then head just around the corner to The Cobblestone http://www.cobblestonepub.ie to get your fill of trad in a less touristy setting than Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Hire a car and up into the hills with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

O'Shea's (The Merchant) on Merchant's Quay/Bridge St corner has a nice restaurant, with trad music in the bar.

Close by, Hughes behind the Four Courts (check with them first; it has been a long time since I was there...).

The Cobblestone in Smithfield has a good rep for Irish music, but it can be so crowded as to be uncomfortable.

If going to Kilmainham Gaol, get there early in the day to get tickets, as they sell out fast. You cannot book in advance.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    O'Shea's (The Merchant) on Merchant's Quay/Bridge St corner has a nice restaurant, with trad music in the bar.

Close by, Hughes behind the Four Courts (check with them first; it has been a long time since I was there...).

The Cobblestone in Smithfield has a good rep for Irish music, but it can be so crowded as to be uncomfortable.

If going to Kilmainham Gaol, get there early in the day to get tickets, as they sell out fast. You cannot book in advance.

Thanks for the heads up, can't wait to head over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If you are going to the Guinness Storehouse, why don't you bring her for something to eat around Smithfield/Stoneybatter and then into the Cobblestone for some diddly eye crap.

Lux23 wrote: »
    If you are going to the Guinness Storehouse, why don't you bring her for something to eat around Smithfield/Stoneybatter and then into the Cobblestone for some diddly eye crap.

I've little interest in diddly eye stuff tbh, the gf wants to experience it. might head to smithfield, you know anywhere nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

Stag's Head

Cake Cafe on Camden St.

OMG was lucky enough to stumble upon this place yesterday - thee BEST muffin I have ever had in my life!!!! And the coffee was great and in ample supply, lovely staff - €5.20 for an unreal muffin and great coffee…
    I am glad that I do not live in Dublin though as I would go there too often and I would then not fit into my jeans…
    Who ever makes these muffins though is a talented person

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    OMG was lucky enough to stumble upon this place yesterday - thee BEST muffin I have ever had in my life!!!! And the coffee was great and in ample supply, lovely staff - €5.20 for an unreal muffin and great coffee…
    I am glad that I do not live in Dublin though as I would go there too often and I would then not fit into my jeans…
    Who ever makes these muffins though is a talented person
    Told ya :D

Apple and cinnamon - yummmmmmm!

There's a pear and almond one as well, but it's a bit sweet for my liking.

Haven't managed to get past those two yet - but some day I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

Told ya :D

Apple and cinnamon - yummmmmmm!

There's a pear and almond one as well, but it's a bit sweet for my liking.

Haven't managed to get past those two yet - but some day I will.

oh i had my eye on the banana and walnut, the almond and plum… went with the raspberry and white chocolate.. it was a bit too sweet for me but delish none the less.. sugar coma,.. but worth it..

Advertisement