Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

light meter

• 27-08-2014 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am thinking of expanding my kit with a few manual flashes and wondering maybe someone could recommend me decent cheap enough light Meter?
    Ideally wouldn't like to spend more than 150 Euros. Or maybe I should skip that and use the histogram? Not really that familiar with flash photography so any advice welcome.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Anything sekonic is probably your best bet. Make sure to get one with flash metering capability, the one I have has PC socket I can plug a flash into to trigger and meter each one individually if I want, or I can trigger them all at once and check the aggregate.

If you're shooting digitally though using the histogram is probably as useful plus you can iterate toward the best balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Thanks for the reply.
    Yah sekonic seems to be good but even second hand ones tend to go for 300+ so thats a bit over my budget...The thing that bothers me with histograms that I think its going to be useless if for example I will want to blow out the background or under expose it? But again I am open for correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I have a Brand new Sekonic in red that you could have for €200, I got it about 14 months ago and took it out of its leather case once.

I find setting up lights taking a test shot and working from there much more use full, I'm not saying light meters are useless but I don't find it essential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Farmlife wrote: »
    I have a Brand new Sekonic in red that you could have for €200, I got it about 14 months ago and took it out of its leather case once.

I find setting up lights taking a test shot and working from there much more use full, I'm not saying light meters are useless but I don't find it essential

Thanks,
    Pm sent.

Advertisement