Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist friendly coffee shops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Brian wrote: »
    Shaggy Dog coffee van in the Cruagh Woods carpark serves great coffee from Upside. Only there at the weekend though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkc3DihnZ7a/

Harrys saved me on manys an occasion...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Brian wrote: »
    Shaggy Dog coffee van in the Cruagh Woods carpark serves great coffee from Upside. Only there at the weekend though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkc3DihnZ7a/

I presume hes dog friendly too?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

The Greenway Café in Abbeyside, Dungarvan is very nice. Run by Paul who's a regular on the cycling forum I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

I’ve yet to encounter a ‘bike-unfriendly’ establishment (unless I’m expecting them to guarantee safe bike storage, which I don’t expect). Not sure what you are actually looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TGD wrote: »
    I’ve yet to encounter a ‘bike-unfriendly’ establishment (unless I’m expecting them to guarantee safe bike storage, which I don’t expect). Not sure what you are actually looking for.
    Some places are a bit anal about where you leave the bike, some ask you not to put helmets on the table, some don't wan't sweaty/wet lycra on their chairs, some won't do individual bills for club groups, some want you to remove cycling shoes before entering etc.

(The most blunt I've experienced was a couple of weeks ago in northern Italy. I called into a cafe on a mountain top which was frequented by motorcyclists. There were a few empty tables so I sat at one. The proprietor marched over, took the menu out of my hands and said the table was 'full'. I presumed he meant 'reserved' so I got up and sat and another table. Again, he stormed over and said that table was 'full' . So I went up to the bar area and he followed me and said 'You no understand, no bicycle people. please go".)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TGD wrote: »
    some coffee shops have pumps, tools, and other cyclist-specific facilities which explicitly show cyclists are welcome; some don't. i think it's straightforward to understand what people mean when they say come cafes are cyclist friendly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

some coffee shops have pumps, tools, and other cyclist-specific facilities which explicitly show cyclists are welcome; some don't. i think it's straightforward to understand what people mean when they say come cafes are cyclist friendly?
    Yes, when they give you mini Bounty Bars as you are leaving, its sign they know you might need an emergency hit to get home :-) Also coffee refills. Yes Coffee Mill in Maynooth Im looking at you :-)

Luxman wrote: »
    Yes, when they give you mini Bounty Bars as you are leaving, its sign they know you might need an emergency hit to get home :-) Also coffee refills. Yes Coffee Mill in Maynooth Im looking at you :-)
    Bounty Bars?...mmmmmm...yum,yum. :)

It's usually Wagon Wheels when I'm there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is the Coffee Mill good? Where can you leave your bike.. I assume not up on the main st?

I normally cyclocross it down the steps as there is seating down there. And a door inside too. Its out of view off the street so safe. Lovely spot, coffee refills, good selection of grub. Looks like a lovely full fry brekky there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Some places are a bit anal about where you leave the bike, some ask you not to put helmets on the table, some don't wan't sweaty/wet lycra on their chairs, some won't do individual bills for club groups, some want you to remove cycling shoes before entering etc.

(The most blunt I've experienced was a couple of weeks ago in northern Italy. I called into a cafe on a mountain top which was frequented by motorcyclists. There were a few empty tables so I sat at one. The proprietor marched over, took the menu out of my hands and said the table was 'full'. I presumed he meant 'reserved' so I got up and sat and another table. Again, he stormed over and said that table was 'full' . So I went up to the bar area and he followed me and said 'You no understand, no bicycle people. please go".)

I think I'd be the same if I owned a cafe! :D. We stopped at that cafe in Hollywood last weekend. Took up a table, drank a coffee each and munched our own jersey-bananas and bars.

The table next was similarly occupied, but by three motorbikers. - They also had three coffees, but were washing down three big fried breakfasts, and no doubt a nice slice of cake after for the road. They were certainly worth a few more dollars to the establishment than we were :o.

Lovely cafe though, and crackin' lookin fry-ups to be fair (were I ever again to allow myself such things....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Fisher's in Newtownmountkennedy - nice covered area outside with heaters; decent coffee & good big fruit scones, friendly service - it's a regular stop for local club spins.

Surprised at that in Italy.
    What a prick tho.

terrydel wrote: »
    Surprised at that in Italy.
    What a prick tho.
    Yes, very surprising and I was taken aback at how blunt he was. It has never happened me anywhere else in Italy. Doesn't really make sense having an establishment at the top of a high mountain pass and then turning away cyclists. It must be very time consuming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Italian nutter aside, is asking cyclists to keep sweaty helmets off a table where people eat not a fair enough request?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The cafe at the top of the Col de Tourmalet requires that you buy something if you want to pee. I presume they get thousands of sweaty cyclists wandering in just to use the loo...

Yes, very surprising and I was taken aback at how blunt he was. It has never happened me anywhere else in Italy. Doesn't really make sense having an establishment at the top of a high mountain pass and then turning away cyclists. It must be very time consuming!

Well they can be a blunt lot but generally they are very pro cyclists given that cycling is such a part of their culture, doubley so in the mountainous areas.
    Might have just got him on a bad day!

Italian nutter aside, is asking cyclists to keep sweaty helmets off a table where people eat not a fair enough request?

Depends what helmet you mean :pac::D

terrydel wrote: »
    Depends what helmet you mean :pac::D

Only realised now that your user name is mickie!! How juvenile am I?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

These cafes would be great for a cycling club coffee stop.

Lemon Thyme cafe (in the Ashbrook Garden Centre on the N2 north of Ashbourne) https://goo.gl/maps/wEhysYPrPUD2

Hugos Farm Shop, Slane https://goo.gl/maps/c9ua963DCtJ2

The Brew, Ballyboughal https://goo.gl/maps/eXaemnwoB1z

Londis, Summerhill https://goo.gl/maps/fGQ7yRNUeTp

All four above are relatively safe for bikes as they'd be within view while you'd be enjoying a cuppa - Lemon and Thyme in particular would get top marks in that respect as the chances of an opportunistic scobie walking by is pretty much zero on account of the location.

Wildflower Cafe, Ratoath Garden Center https://goo.gl/maps/M48m4UoVJV92

Safe enough if you bring your bike through the Garden Centre to the small outdoor area at the back of the cafe. Not sure that little area could lend itself to a number of bikes at the one time, especially on a pleasant day. I've only ever stopped there mid-spin with my wife.

• Advertisement

...Lemon Thyme cafe (in the Ashbrook Garden Centre on the N2 north of Ashbourne)....
    I was just recommending that place to clubmates a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

really? they must have done some work there, the place was always rather bleak in my experience (have not been there in well over a year though)

really? they must have done some work there, the place was always rather bleak in my experience (have not been there in well over a year though)

Was in it a couple of weeks back. And bleak was the word I would use exactly. Coffee was good. Scone was meh. portakabin style surroundings

Was in it a couple of weeks back. And bleak was the word I would use exactly. Coffee was good. Scone was meh. portakabin style surroundings
    Each to their own I suppose but I don't do scones (never can see the attraction of them). I got a great big slice of coffee cake and a great cup of coffee served by a very friendly staff member while my bike was outside in full view. Place was busy so I didn't notice any 'bleakness' but, then again, I'd prefer bleak to all that contrived kitschy clutter many places offer.

That said, I've only visited once so I'm probably not in a good position to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Hugos Farm Shop, Slane https://goo.gl/maps/c9ua963DCtJ2
    Londis, Summerhill https://goo.gl/maps/fGQ7yRNUeTp

Hugo's would be our regular spot in Slane though George's Patisserie around the corner on the N2 sounds good too.

Last time we were in Summerhill half the group went to Londis while the rest of us had the mini-breakfast in Shaw's pub next door. Strongly recommend it and they let us park the bikes in their secure yard.

Ballyboughal and Rathoath are a bit too close to Swords to be of interest (although we did end up in the Seamus Ennis Centre in Naul today).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Marys Cafe, Main St, Ballycastle, Mayo... BEST... CLOSE the THREAD :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

fat bloke wrote: »
    Took up a table, drank a coffee each and munched our own jersey-bananas and bars.

ugh I can't stand when people do this. It's a bit scabby even if you have bought a coffee..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

A friend of mine from Cork told me a funny story about when he was cycling alone in the Alpes Maritimes on the French Italian border a few years ago.

He stopped at a roadside cafe high up in the mountains for coffee and sat outside.

He told me that the worlds grumpiest waiter must have been on duty that day who came outside and slapped a drinks menu on the table with a choice of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.

'Americano s'il vous plaît' said my friend meekly.

'êtes-vous sûr' (are you sure) barked the waiter.

A good while later the waiter brought out an 'Americano' cocktail made from Campari,Soda and Vermouth,it even had a straw and one of those crappy umbrellas in the glass.

Cost him a Tenner :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

He should order long coffee, that would be the closest to Americano. I have more experience of coffees in Italy than France but if someone wants a big watery Americano then they should buy Nescafe in the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Doc07

A friend of mine from Cork told me a funny story about when he was cycling alone in the Alpes Maritimes on the French Italian border a few years ago.

He stopped at a roadside cafe high up in the mountains for coffee and sat outside.

He told me that the worlds grumpiest waiter must have been on duty that day who came outside and slapped a drinks menu on the table with a choice of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.

'Americano s'il vous plaît' said my friend meekly.

'êtes-vous sûr' (are you sure) barked the waiter.

A good while later the waiter brought out an 'Americano' cocktail made from Campari,Soda and Vermouth,it even had a straw and one of those crappy umbrellas in the glass.

Cost him a Tenner :pac::pac:

Haha, that happened to me twice, once in Nice and once in Madeira....lucky the wife was there to drink them both.
    I remember to say cafe americano now but mostly get ‘espresso dopio’

Advertisement