Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist friendly coffee shops

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭C3PO

Rechuchote wrote: »
    I'm all for coffee and cake at the right time, but it's soup and a sandwich for fuel.

Wouldn't be eating soup on a bike spin ... I can already feel it repeating on the next climb!! Coffee and a flap-jack for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I know some people don't like the service but I had a coffee and really good fresly baked fruit scone in Glendalough Green this morning. The owner, who has taken some stick here, even referred to me as "young man" when handing it to me. What's not to like about that?

Even though I have secumbed to mini-breakfasts in other establishments, you can't beat a good mid-morning scone with jam and cream. Soup and sandwiches are the reward when you make it back home.

Are the coffee shops in Roundwood still recommended? They were five years ago it seems. I’m just planning Saturday’s spin and trying to work out where to stop.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

The Hippy cafe in Laragh are getting even more cyclist unfriendly..no more water tap outside. Someday I'll stop complaining about them and actually go somewhere else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I think they do it, so you'll buy another one.

Do you think the owner would instruct his staff to do this?
    I would think not. It is more to to with bad organization than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

colm18 wrote: »
    The Hippy cafe in Laragh are getting even more cyclist unfriendly..no more water tap outside. Someday I'll stop complaining about them and actually go somewhere else...

From last year they had a sign on the tap to warn people to turn it off after filling water bottles (they pay rates was mentioned) and lads obviously kept leaving the tap running so they followed through on removing it by the looks of things...(I havent been that far across the hills this year!)
    Side note it always had a bit of a twang to it...

Ive had to stop around the Glencullen area and use the several old school taps but they have been on a boil water notice in the area a long time now with the one outside Jonny Foxes the only tap with a notice on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a tap that automatically turns off is not exactly hi-tech. Most pub bathrooms have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's the one at the green? Their cranky reputation is starting to proceed them these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

loyatemu wrote: »
    a tap that automatically turns off is not exactly hi-tech. Most pub bathrooms have them.

Presumably most cyclists are sober adults & could use a bit of common sense though. Don't know if I'm just a cranky old man, but that's the type of thing that would really irk me if I ran the place.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Presumably most cyclists are sober adults & could use a bit of common sense though. Don't know if I'm just a cranky old man, but that's the type of thing that would really irk me if I ran the place.

From their general attitude I would't be surprised if one cyclist left it on once..

• Advertisement

From their general attitude I would't be surprised if one cyclist left it on once..

:D Ah jaysus Colm she must of pissed on your cornflakes...must avoid cornflakes in that shop :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

She tried her rant on me one day when I presented my bottle to her to fill. Was informed there was bottled water in the fridge and I said the coffee shop down the road would probably fill my bottle for free... Was about to add that they'd probably do it with a smile on their face too when she changed tact... Apparently its not her piping it's the county councils so she cant fix it, or won't, they probably think otherwise. Or so she says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If she didnt throw your change back at you on the counter vs handing it back I might have more time for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

First time back in the Forge Field Cafe in Termonfeckin in quite a while. Great food and service and the waitress even offered to delay the coffees until the mini-breakfasts were ready. A lot of other venues seem unable to do this even when specifically asked!
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was in there last week, had a turkey burger, it was delicious.
    I agree about the service.

Was it a pink haired girl that served you ?

I'm surprised the place next to the Glendalough Green hasn't made a play for the cycling customers. Plenty of space to put in a back rack and lots of outdoor seating.

Aegir wrote: »
    I'm surprised the place next to the Glendalough Green hasn't made a play for the cycling customers. Plenty of space to put in a back rack and lots of outdoor seating.

It had a very interesting way how to spell COUNTRY (without the O) until it was corrected sometime later :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

loyatemu wrote: »

Shouldn't need one, how hard is it for people to turn it off after using it? A chimp could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

PaulieC wrote: »

From memory she had black hair. She agreed to take a photo of our group but unfortunately I didn't reciprocate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

PaulieC wrote: »

No, not pink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

Try The Dome just outside Roundwood on the Laragh side.
    A much nicer experience than Laragh.
    It's excellent with very friendly service, good coffee, homemade cakes and very bike friendly. There's even blankets and hot water bottles for you if it's a bit cold!
    It only opens weekends from April to end of September and is well worth a visit or two.

• Advertisement

She tried her rant on me one day when I presented my bottle to her to fill. Was informed there was bottled water in the fridge and I said the coffee shop down the road would probably fill my bottle for free... Was about to add that they'd probably do it with a smile on their face too when she changed tact... Apparently its not her piping it's the county councils so she cant fix it, or won't, they probably think otherwise. Or so she says.

I stop there regularly as its 25km from my house so a perfect mid spin stop.
    I find them all friendly and polite and a number of times theyve charged me less than the marked price for cake or a flapjack or whatever, if I didnt have enough change.
    If you are handing them water to fill for you, they are doing you a favour, so saying 'the shop down the road would do it for free' is simply rude and comes across as entitled. Its highly likely that tap does not belong to them, and in any case, if people cant do a simple task like turning it off when finished, they dont deserve it.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I went looking for the dome the other week, when I found it was only open weekends. Ended up eating in Sugar mountain which was grand but nowhere really to leave a bike unless you're solo as I was

Where is it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I highly recommend the Hazel House in Tibradden, Recently reopened after fire damage. Great peaceful location, near the Scout camp at Larch Hill and good food and coffee too. Often go there after spins in the Dublin/Wicklow hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

LennoxR wrote: »
    I highly recommend the Hazel House in Tibradden, Recently reopened after fire damage. Great peaceful location, near the Scout camp at Larch Hill and good food and coffee too. Often go there after spins in the Dublin/Wicklow hills.

Was there for brekkie last summer, delish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LennoxR wrote: »
    I highly recommend the Hazel House in Tibradden....
    Ok if solo but the owner isn't keen on groups of cyclists (especially mucky MTB'ers). I use it occasionally myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Ok if solo but the owner isn't keen on groups of cyclists (especially mucky MTB'ers). I use it occasionally myself.

The owner a woman I think does not seem keen on anyone. Been there 3 times first time was served by a very nice man, second two times by what appears to be a very unhappy woman, would not go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

One thing I'd regard as a sign of a bikey-friendly caff is bike stands outside. To my surprise, Five Points in Harold's Cross, which has a nice wide pavement outside, hasn't got these, nor has Fallon & Byrne in Castlewood Avenue in Rathmines, which also has huge pavement space outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

One thing I'd regard as a sign of a bikey-friendly caff is bike stands outside. To my surprise, Five Points in Harold's Cross, which has a nice wide pavement outside, hasn't got these, nor has Fallon & Byrne in Castlewood Avenue in Rathmines, which also has huge pavement space outside.

If the pavement isn't owned by them they'd have to apply to the council for permission like with outside tables and seats. They may just not have gone through the hassle of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm sitting outside 5 points right now and my bike is chained to one of the council stands!! There are 4 of them literally outside the front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

caff wrote: »
    If the pavement isn't owned by them they'd have to apply to the council for permission like with outside tables and seats. They may just not have gone through the hassle of it

Exackally.

Advertisement