Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist friendly coffee shops

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

The Council put a few more bike stands further down Harold's Cross Road outside what used to be Aaran Insurance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3275847,-6.2771383,3a,60y,280.94h,85.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scd7PVHacVTqtQKLUAcrrqQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The Council put a few more bike stands further down Harold's Cross Road outside what used to be Aaran Insurance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3275847,-6.2771383,3a,60y,280.94h,85.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scd7PVHacVTqtQKLUAcrrqQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That's a long way down the road.

I wonder has anyone done a study of how near bike racks need to be before people will use them for your cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'm sitting outside 5 points right now and my bike is chained to one of the council stands!! There are 4 of them literally outside the front door.

Are they new? Is it a policy now to roll out more and more bike stands? How do they choose where to locate them?

Had coffee and a nut bar at the Dome earlier. I honestly could not recommend this place enough.

Bike racks, decent coffee and we were asked if we wanted to use her tap to fill our bottles. I’ve just found my regular coffee stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Rechuchote wrote: »
    That's a long way down the road.

I wonder has anyone done a study of how near bike racks need to be before people will use them for your cafe.

If they have, they need to get out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Are they new? Is it a policy now to roll out more and more bike stands? How do they chose where to locate them?

I don't know the answer to either question to be honest. There are loads of these type of stands around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Big Mig wrote: »
    Try The Dome just outside Roundwood on the Laragh side.
    A much nicer experience than Laragh.
    It's excellent with very friendly service, good coffee, homemade cakes and very bike friendly. There's even blankets and hot water bottles for you if it's a bit cold!
    It only opens weekends from April to end of September and is well worth a visit or two.

Saw the reviews online. Might give it a look the next time I'm down that way. Must be better than standing outside the local Centra quickly slurping down a can of coke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

caff wrote: »
    If the pavement isn't owned by them they'd have to apply to the council for permission like with outside tables and seats....
    It's more than 'permission' - they have to pay a hefty annual charge to put tables/chairs on a public footpath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭positron

The cafe at Oldbridge Estate / Battle of Boyne visitor center outside Drogheda is rather nice.

https://goo.gl/maps/CrwSvGE67s4kotK56

Cafe is in the walled garden of the Oldbridge house, giving it a bit of warmth and shelter from the weather, option to sit indoors or outdoors, looking out to beautifully kept lavender garden, great coffee, cakes and ice cream - perhaps a tad bit expensive but worth it given the amenities. Even has a resident house cat to keep you company. I have seen 20+ bikes heading up there on Saturday mornings, not sure which club it is, but it's on their regular weekend beat already.

positron wrote: »
    The cafe at Oldbridge Estate / Battle of Boyne visitor center outside Drogheda is rather nice.

https://goo.gl/maps/CrwSvGE67s4kotK56

Cafe is in the walled garden of the Oldbridge house, giving it a bit of warmth and shelter from the weather, option to sit indoors or outdoors, looking out to beautifully kept lavender garden, great coffee, cakes and ice cream - perhaps a tad bit expensive but worth it given the amenities. Even has a resident house cat to keep you company. I have seen 20+ bikes heading up there on Saturday mornings, not sure which club it is, but it's on their regular weekend beat already.
    It's a branch of Brambles but we like to call it 'Grumbles' as the staff attitude leaves a lot to be desired much of the time. They also take a notion every so often of insisting the bikes are not brought into the courtyard (where they can be seen).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭positron

Oh really, I didn't know, that's a shame.

I am only there on odd weekend afternoons with my kids and they are yet to ask us to not to bring the bike into the courtyard.. but I will keep this in mind.

Nice facilities, shame they are "grumbles"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

positron wrote: »
    Oh really, I didn't know, that's a shame.

I am only there on odd weekend afternoons with my kids and they are yet to ask us to not to bring the bike into the courtyard.. but I will keep this in mind.

Nice facilities, shame they are "grumbles"

I asked for cream with my scone once and received a death stare

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yet you are still with us. i suspect you've exaggerated it by calling it a 'death stare'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

yet you are still with us. i suspect you've exaggerated it by calling it a 'death stare'.
    Edit that to a “oh god, bloody cyclists” stare then. #grumbles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

more a tuck shop that sells coffee but the mountain biking place at Ballinastoe forest between Roundwood and Enniskerry is nice for a mini stop if you want a few minutes off the road.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Is there a good resource for cycle friendly cafes in Ireland?

I tend to cycle solo and wouldn't ever want to leave my bike outside somewhere.

For example, last week I stopped in Howth Market at the little cafe and was told I had to leave my bike outside, this sucked obviously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

You'd be as well getting a lightweight lock if you are concerned that would cover you for the 1 or 2 mins your bike would be out of sight, then get a seat that gives view of the bike.

That cafe/market (actually all of howth) is very busy - no wonder they wouldn't let a bike in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Agreed, I suppose though there's a lot of cafes that just are focused on Cyclists, would love to find a good resource!

Like for instance, at the bottom of the hill into Laragh, it's got bike racks, water tap, toilet, coffee and homemade cakes. That for me is a 4 star cycling cafes, 1 star off for not having a pump/tubes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

If you look up the Cafe Network Facebook page, they have a map of Ireland and the UK with hundreds of bike friendly cafes, B&B's etc.

The businesses have to register with them , so there's less chance of inadvertently finding a place unfriendly to cyclists.

When I had the Rebike Greenway Cafe going in Co Waterford, we had a stock of locks for customers to use. It wasn't unusual to have 20-30k worth of bikes outside the door on a weekend morning!

Many bike cafes will have locks behind the counter - just ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cheers - Seems like decent resources, but even a cursory glances shows that Ireland is definitely not the focus and there's a fair few places missing.

8valve wrote: »
    Many bike cafes will have locks behind the counter - just ask!

Now if I can only find the Bike cafes in the first place! ;)

Altheus wrote: »
    ...Like for instance, at the bottom of the hill into Laragh, it's got bike racks, water tap, toilet, coffee and homemade cakes. That for me is a 4 star cycling cafes, 1 star off for not having a pump/tubes!
    Their attitude to customers is very strange at times though especially when it's very quiet. I occasionally get the impression that I'm a nuisance when I darken their door..

Curiously, there's a cafe in Co Waterford that is quite welcoming to groups of cyclists, but I've been told by some club riders that cyclists have to sit down and wait for table service - the owners are afraid that cyclists may slip on the tiled floor in cleated shoes and maybe the owners are afraid of being sued!

its a strange little country we live in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Curiously, there's a cafe in Co Waterford that is quite welcoming to groups of cyclists, but I've been told by some club riders that cyclists have to sit down and wait for table service - the owners are afraid that cyclists may slip on the tiled floor in cleated shoes and maybe the owners are afraid of being sued!

Well, the owner of a bike rental business on the Waterford Greenway will be soon out of business thanks to the UK insurance firm, providing his current policy, pulling out of the Irish market because of the high rate of claims here.

Irish firms won't take on any more bike hire businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

To be fair that has the added benefit for other patrons of not having to queue behind a group of lads that absolutely stink.

The claim culture we have here is an absolute disgrace. The worst I've seen is still the girl who sued the luas because she jumped on a moving luas for the craic & fell off & got half a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Altheus wrote: »
    Agreed, I suppose though there's a lot of cafes that just are focused on Cyclists, would love to find a good resource!

Like for instance, at the bottom of the hill into Laragh, it's got bike racks, water tap, toilet, coffee and homemade cakes. That for me is a 4 star cycling cafes, 1 star off for not having a pump/tubes!

Two stars off for the rudest staff in Ireland.
    The distain that particular lady has for customers. I started going around to the petrol station rather than support the cafe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was once doing a tree planting day near laragh, and was wearing a top with the logo of the organisation doing the planting when i called in for a coffee. when she saw my top, she pretty much ordered me not to park outside.

• Advertisement

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Well, the owner of a bike rental business on the Waterford Greenway will be soon out of business thanks to the UK insurance firm, providing his current policy, pulling out of the Irish market because of the high rate of claims here.

Irish firms won't take on any more bike hire businesses.

I know the chap very well; I've even carried out work on some of his fleet. Insurance is getting to be a bit of a joke due to our claim culture. Some people see it as easy money.

Someone said to me over the weekend that they had heard a medical practitioner who claimed that he rarely sees whiplash victims for continuation of treatment, once their claims have been settled!

It would seem the best cure for whiplash is to rub your neck with a hefty cheque from an insurance company!!

Sorry, OP, we've gone ever so slightly off topic!

Advertisement