Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple and their son evicted from Carpenterstown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Murt10 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/couple-evicted-from-rented-dublin-property-in-their-pyjamas-left-homeless-with-no-clothes-30541264.html

Hard not to have sympathy with them but at the same time should tenants be allowed to stay illegally in a property indefinitely.

Is this the house near the round about in front of the carpenter? I notice one there with the door boarded up.

Murt10 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/couple-evicted-from-rented-dublin-property-in-their-pyjamas-left-homeless-with-no-clothes-30541264.html

Hard not to have sympathy with them but at the same time should tenants be allowed to stay illegally in a property indefinitely.

How is this considered newsworthy? Quel surprise the 37 year old son was still in bed at 7.30, do these people expect to be babysat through life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i can only assume that they were not registered with the PRTB.
    The importance of that is beyond understanding for anyone renting.

Why do landlords get to decide if they accept rent allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

folan wrote: »
    Why do landlords get to decide if they accept rent allowance?

Because its their property.
    Free will & all that.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    How is this considered newsworthy? Quel surprise the 37 year old son was still in bed at 7.30, do these people expect to be babysat through life?

can you give more detail on this, since you appear to know loads about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

It seems they were given notice 12 months ago to leave. I know if I was leaving my rented accomodation I wouldn't be given 12 months notice.

Because its their property.
    Free will & all that.

well, leaving aside the Free will and all that issue, I am more interested in why they do? does it reduce the amount of money they get, frequency or something? does it get paid directly to them or something?

Just dont understand why it is a reason against accepting a tenant in this case. Ill look at the accommodation forum, im sure it will shed some light.

Blingy wrote: »
    It seems they were given notice 12 months ago to leave. I know if I was leaving my rented accomodation I wouldn't be given 12 months notice.

afaik, thats well beyond the part4 agreements. Creates more questions than answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

well, leaving aside the Free will and all that issue, I am more interested in why they do? does it reduce the amount of money they get, frequency or something? does it get paid directly to them or something?

Just dont understand why it is a reason against accepting a tenant in this case. Ill look at the accommodation forum, im sure it will shed some light.

Some people believe its because they are snobs and dont want SW tenants and/or are not declaring their rental income. Other people believe this is an outrageous belief to hold and claim that the reason they dont is because the allowances are capped and tenants can't top up the allowance themselves to make up the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I feel sorry for them but the fact of the matter is it's not their house, they were merely renting. Their rent cheques were being returned to them since December so what was stopping them using that money to tide them over in a more affordable place without rent allowance? They have had 12 months to prepare, and they could easily afford a place outside Dublin until something more affordable comes up closer to their family. It's the risk you run by renting long-term instead of buying, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

12 month's notice, and they still couldn't find the time to get dressed.

Methinks they are looking for sympathy that they ain't going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

It restricts the rent you can charge for your property. So because of that landlords frequently do not want to accept it.

It's hard to make a case that they should have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Your odds of getting a tenant that will look after the property are far greater among the pool of people who have to pay themselves, rather then those who have it handed to them for next to nothing.

It may sound harsh, but it's the reality. I wouldn't accept RA

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Gerlad

Also rightly or wrongly, a lot of people who accepted it and didn't register with PRTB are now getting nailed with back payments and penalties and even more so after 31 August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

If their rent was being returned to them then why didn't they put that money away to find somewhere new to live or, now that they have been evicted, shouldn't they have that money to at least get a hotel room to tide them over so they're not "living on the side of the road with no clothes"?
    They said they have been turned away by 15 landlords, there's more than 15 landlords in Dublin and there's certainly more than 15 landlords in the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

This is not a D15 issue, probably more suited to Accommodation & Property forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement