Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Coffee Shop in Clondalkin - Your Thoughts

Options
  • 27-08-2014 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi There, I am currently in the planning phase of opening my own coffee shop in 2015. I am trying to identify the best areas for locating my business and while there are several which appeal to me I keep coming back to the idea of a coffee shop in Clondalkin. I have a few reasons for this idea and I'd like to know if you agree, have a different opinion or can recommend any other areas that I might not have thought of.

I know Clondalkin well having grown up there and I've only moved out of the area in the past couple of years.

Reasons:
    1. Clondalkin is one of the few remaining old villages left in Dublin which is still busy and thriving. It hasn't been killed off by a local mega shopping-centre because Liffey Valley & The Square are just that bit far away. Thankfully.
    2. Clondalkin has a large population.
    3. The village is packed with takeaways and fastfood offerings, but I can only think of 2 cafes, and both of those would have to be classed as the "greasey spoon" style offering.
    4. I can't think of anywhere in the village area that you can actually get a proper espresso based coffee drink & having lived in some other parts of Dublin now, there are loads of coffee shops/cafes in any decently populated area.
    5. There are many businesses and business parks located within a couple of miles of Clondalkin village.

I've obviously mentioned this idea to some friends and family before and some of the negatives I've received back have been.

1. There's no appetite for a "nice" or "fancy" café in Clondalkin, people in Clondalkin just won't appreciate good coffee.
    I don't believe that. Sure there are many who love a brekkie roll and a pot of cheap tea, but I think there's a large enough population that there are many who would also appreciate some high quality coffee, cakes and sandwiches. I'm from the area myself and many a time when I was meeting someone I literally couldn't think of a nice place to meet them so end up meeting in the pub, or a local hotel.
    2. People who want nicer stuff just go to Avoca in Rathcoole.
    I think this is a good point because if people are willing to leave the area and travel for nicer food and drinks then surely those people would appreciate something closer to home.
    3. Is Clondalkin busy enough on weedays?
    This is one point I have to investigate myself as I've never actually worked in the area so have not seen it very often on weekdays. On the odd occasions I have passed through the village on weekdays it seems extremely busy.

Anyway, this is where I'm at, at the moment and I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions you may have, as I'm well aware of people getting blinkered when an idea takes root and I don't want to be that guy who ignores all the advice and ploughs on into a disaster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

First of all, congratulations on asking for advice. Many entrepreneurs do plough straight in and often pay dearly for their "deaf-ears" approach.

The main problem I see is this:

You want to setup a good class cafe.

But, quality coffee / food - will increase your overhead substantially.

This cost might not be sustainable in some demographic areas.

Jontronix wrote: »
    5. There are many businesses and business parks located within a couple of miles of Clondalkin village.

Proximity is key when it comes to the cafe business. People are not prepared to travel for coffee. Some coffee shop entrepreneurs have even found that proximity even trumps the product offering itself.

I suppose the main problem you will have to find out is this: what is the price sensitivity of your average consumer walking down main street Clondalkin at 11am in the morning like? Look at the shops there already - are there any mid-to-high end retailers there? Have a walk into the newsagents there - look at the newspapers which they are selling...All of these can be ad-hoc but useful ways of doing research on an area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

I ran a business for years in a nearby industrial estate, and avoided going into Clondalkin as it is a traffic nightmare. The Mill centre seems to be busy but the rest of the town is dire for parking. If it was close to the Mill with the offices etc across the road, it could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

I suggest you examine very carefully your methodology for opening a coffee shop in clondalkin. Many questions.
    Have you worked in a coffee shop?
    Do you know what the margins are?
    Have you done a three year projection, including every cost and contingencies. For this you need to know your fixed and variable costs.
    Who does the bookkeeping and accounting? Do you plan to take holidays during the year? What if you're sick? How much can you pay staff? Labour intensive business.
    Good location in the village? I don't think there is one.
    Go on the street and do market research, how many people walk down the street Monday to Sunday? How many willing to pay 3.50 for just a nice coffee.
    Seriously you need to really think about it and plan before laying out real money. Probably easier things to do to invest your money. What rate of return are you looking for? Possibly business opportunities in or around Clondalkin but don't invest because you grew up there or think you see a business opportunity. Maybe there is gap in market but is there market in the gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

jetsonx wrote: »
    First of all, congratulations on asking for advice. Many entrepreneurs do plough straight in and often pay dearly for their "deaf-ears" approach.

The main problem I see is this:

You want to setup a good class cafe.

But, quality coffee / food - will increase your overhead substantially.

This cost might not be sustainable in some demographic areas.

Proximity is key when it comes to the cafe business. People are not prepared to travel for coffee. Some coffee shop entrepreneurs have even found that proximity even trumps the product offering itself.

I suppose the main problem you will have to find out is this: what is the price sensitivity of your average consumer walking down main street Clondalkin at 11am in the morning like? Look at the shops there already - are there any mid-to-high end retailers there? Have a walk into the newsagents there - look at the newspapers which they are selling...All of these can be ad-hoc but useful ways of doing research on an area.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm aware that offering better quality means higher costs and that I must factor this into any business plan, but it's definitely the route I want to go down as it's not catered for at the moment, and I also want to run a business that I'm proud of and would like to be a customer in myself.

If I walk down the street in Clondalkin at the moment there aren't many higher end shops at all, and definitely no higher end food offering. That doesn't put me off in this instance because it's not as if there has been previous efforts that have failed, there just hasn't been any efforts at all.

It's always a risk offering something different to what's being done at the moment but it can also be the usp of a successful business.

pedronomix wrote: »
    I ran a business for years in a nearby industrial estate, and avoided going into Clondalkin as it is a traffic nightmare. The Mill centre seems to be busy but the rest of the town is dire for parking. If it was close to the Mill with the offices etc across the road, it could be good.

Yeah I've been through Clondalkin on the odd afternoon when I've had a half day and it has been really busy. I suppose if I worked nearby then this would put me off going into the village to avoid the time waste and parking problems, but I also suppose this means that the village is already really busy with people.

I work near Maynooth at the moment and we all generally avoid the village as it is too busy to negotiate for our lunch hour, but that's only because it's busy and buzzing without us.

Perhaps I might reach out to the local businesses with a delivery service, if it's a problem for local workers to come into the village. This is definitely something I have planned on rolling out once the coffee shop is up and running smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

Yeah I've been through Clondalkin on the odd afternoon when I've had a half day and it has been really busy. I suppose if I worked nearby then this would put me off going into the village to avoid the time waste and parking problems, but I also suppose this means that the village is already really busy with people.

I work near Maynooth at the moment and we all generally avoid the village as it is too busy to negotiate for our lunch hour, but that's only because it's busy and buzzing without us.

Perhaps I might reach out to the local businesses with a delivery service, if it's a problem for local workers to come into the village. This is definitely something I have planned on rolling out once the coffee shop is up and running smoothly.

Being very honest with you most of the people in the village during the week are not workers or people who would stop of for a coffee. There was a coffee shop/bakery beside Domino's which closed down about two years ago. I think another place has opened since in that location. The streat in the mill seemed to be going fairly well for food and a spot for a coffee but closed down recently.

I think location is huge for you but there would be a market for what you propose. Whether that market is large enough to sustain your business would require a lot of research.

When working I usually meet people in Costa in Liffey Valley and even though clondalkin village is a closer option, parking and traffic concerns would make me drive the extra couple of mins to LV.

I suggest you examine very carefully your methodology for opening a coffee shop in clondalkin. Many questions.
    Have you worked in a coffee shop?
    Do you know what the margins are?
    Have you done a three year projection, including every cost and contingencies. For this you need to know your fixed and variable costs.
    Who does the bookkeeping and accounting? Do you plan to take holidays during the year? What if you're sick? How much can you pay staff? Labour intensive business.
    Good location in the village? I don't think there is one.
    Go on the street and do market research, how many people walk down the street Monday to Sunday? How many willing to pay 3.50 for just a nice coffee.
    Seriously you need to really think about it and plan before laying out real money. Probably easier things to do to invest your money. What rate of return are you looking for? Possibly business opportunities in or around Clondalkin but don't invest because you grew up there or think you see a business opportunity. Maybe there is gap in market but is there market in the gap?

Thanks for the points you raised there. Most of them are general points for anyone starting a new business and I've already taken these on board, I've been planning and thinking about this for over 2 years now, and I'm ready to make the leap from bill paying job to risk taking entrepreneur.

I'm not starting this business to become rich, I'm starting this business to do something I love, to work with coffee and food and people. I like to think I've got a sharp business mind so I want it to pay for itself top begin with and hopefully in time give me a good living.

I haven't completed all my research yet but it is the location problem that is mostly affecting me right now, and I want to get a clearer picture of this.

I think you have a point about lack of good locations in Clondalkin. I've been keeping an eye on the commercial property market for 2 years now, and not many come up in Clondalkin at all, and when they do they are usually not the right fit (wrong location/wrong size). I am actually encouraged by this to some extent because there isn't a high turnover of businesses in Clondalkin, a lot of the businesses have been there for a long time, so while this gives me hope that the village is a good place to have a business, it also means I will find it difficult to get a premises.
    Chances are, like with all things of this nature, I will have to compromise somewhere. I will probably end up getting a property that is not quite where I like, or will require more work than I would have liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Might be a bit off track but ill throw it in. In liffey valley a new coffee shop opened about three months ago, cafe frei. Sell teas and coffee from around the world in all combinations.

They recently added in a panini bar, cake stand and mineral fridge. Looks like they spent serious money on the fit out.

might be worth a look to see if they would be competition.

duffman13 wrote:
    When working I usually meet people in Costa in Liffey Valley and even though clondalkin village is a closer option, parking and traffic concerns would make me drive the extra couple of mins to LV.

duffman13 wrote:
    Being very honest with you most of the people in the village during the week are not workers or people who would stop of for a coffee. There was a coffee shop/bakery beside Domino's which closed down about two years ago. I think another place has opened since in that location. The streat in the mill seemed to be going fairly well for food and a spot for a coffee but closed down recently.

duffman13 wrote:
    I think location is huge for you but there would be a market for what you propose. Whether that market is large enough to sustain your business would require a lot of research.

Thanks for the feedback. I know thar location next to Domino's and have seen the last couple of businesses come and go. I feel like the location there is not ideal but I mostly think that there wasn't enough investment to make it look good. They never changed the crappy yellow steel windows and the signage was like something you'd print off yourself a home. I think a slicker operation in that building could do well, but it's not the ideal place for me.

I didn't realise The Streat had closed down. I was only in it once but it struck me as a poor man's coffee chain. I thought The Mill was the right location for it.

interesting that u bring up the parking question, this definitely is a huge consideration for workers and convenience it seems.

BTW being honest who are the type of people in the village during the day? my sister worked in one of the banks there and I know they end up in Centra for lunch a lot of days but she'd tell me there are all sorts during the day. unemployed people, retired people, school kids, housewives/ husbands and a few skobies thrown in :-)

lunch a lot of days but she'd tell me there are all sorts during the day. unemployed people, retired people, school kids, housewives/ husbands and a few skobies thrown in :-)

Unfortunately, some of this demographic are type who would phone up Joe Duffy saying they they were "ripped off" because they paid €8 for a sandwich and a coffee (having no idea of the costs which are incurred in running a small business).

Your product or service positioning must have a target market who are willing and able on a repeated basis to pay a premium for your product.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback. I know thar location next to Domino's and have seen the last couple of businesses come and go. I feel like the location there is not ideal but I mostly think that there wasn't enough investment to make it look good. They never changed the crappy yellow steel windows and the signage was like something you'd print off yourself a home. I think a slicker operation in that building could do well, but it's not the ideal place for me.

I didn't realise The Streat had closed down. I was only in it once but it struck me as a poor man's coffee chain. I thought The Mill was the right location for it.

interesting that u bring up the parking question, this definitely is a huge consideration for workers and convenience it seems.

BTW being honest who are the type of people in the village during the day? my sister worked in one of the banks there and I know they end up in Centra for lunch a lot of days but she'd tell me there are all sorts during the day. unemployed people, retired people, school kids, housewives/ husbands and a few skobies thrown in :-)

Huge generalisations but most of the people in the village during the day are unemployed or retired. These are generally seen stopping off in Boss Hogs or Subway on the one day of the week they go to the village.

Parking and traffic for me are an issue, during the summer I have no problem popping down the village but with schools back the traffic is a lot worse and there is a lot of kids around the village at lunch time. For me personally if the only option was to go grab a coffee in Clondalkin to have a chat with a colleague or a client the only place I would have went was the mill. The food and coffee was muck though but with a better offering you might attract some more people in.

I don't know what the footfall is like on main street in comparison to the mill. If it was my business I would lean towards the Mill due to the fact you have a large base of people in the village who collect money from the post office and would probably stop in for a sambo and a coffee on the way to Dunnes. I don't know if this your target market but IMO it would appeal to people on the go aswell. Moves you a little closer to parkwest and the industrial estates and takes out the fear of getting caught in traffic with free parking thrown in for good measure.

I dont know the clondalkin area well at all, but when I was a student I worked in a cafe in Dunlaoghaire called GTI. This was a high end cafe, nice coffees, sandwiches, and other food and meals. He spent a lot on the decor, and was constantly upgrading the place, expanding the menu, adding an alcohol license etc.
    I think it stayed open for about 5-6 years and just chewed up all the investment and closed down eventually. The owner was a passionate guy with a good background in marketing. He was certainly dedicated.

Now Dunlaoghaire has been a graveyard for many's a business, but he had a location v close to the cinema, and also bloom fields shopping centre. So there was lots of traffic. Despite a decent lunch trade and packed on a saturday afternoon it still wasn't enough. He couldnt get people in the door in the mornings or the evenings and that was his undoing I think.

In fairness Dun Laoghaire is a completely different area. Clondalkin IMO wouldn't be as dependent on a lunch trade and would probably trade very well if the product was right. Looking at Clares Pizzeria which recently reopened. Been doing a roaring trade due to quality and recommendations, they've already had to expand floor space.

There is a lot of reasons to be optimistic opening a new business in Clondalkin

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

I have a business located in a industrial estate on the Neilstown side of Clondalkin. For years it has been a bugbear of mine that there is no decent place to go to for lunch.
    Myself and my colleagues eat mainly in the Waterside. They offer a good selection of food with a great service.

We never go into the village for lunch as parking and general traffic is a nightmare. My accountant walks from the office to the bank to do lodgements as it is quicker than driving!

Maybe, to test the water would it be prudent to run a 'mobile' coffee and snack van around the industrial estates in the morning (pre-10am) and then park up in one spot from 12-2. This would reduce your fixed costs, offer a fantastic mobile marketing platform and limit your exposure should the project not work out.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Dutchie wrote: »
    I have a business located in a industrial estate on the Neilstown side of Clondalkin. For years it has been a bugbear of mine that there is no decent place to go to for lunch.
    Myself and my colleagues eat mainly in the Waterside. They offer a good selection of food with a great service.

We never go into the village for lunch as parking and general traffic is a nightmare. My accountant walks from the office to AIB to do lodgements as it is quicker than driving!

Maybe, to test the water would it be prudent to run a 'mobile' coffee and snack van around the industrial estates in the morning (pre-10am) and then park up in one spot from 12-2. This would reduce your fixed costs, offer a fantastic mobile marketing platform and limit your exposure should the project not work out.

Good luck.

We went to Palmerstown as it was quicker and had an Ulster Bank too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I live near, but not in, Clondalkin, and would be interested in a high end coffee shop, but I wouldn't be your daily customer. If it helps, here's what I'd like:

- Parking. I'd generally be driving into Clondalkin, so want somewhere handy to park.
    - Weekends. I'd be most interested in Saturday/Sunday brunches, with all day breakfasts and fancier options. I want to be able to get breakfast at 2pm on a Sunday when hungover :)
    - I am less likely to use a coffee shop in the village during the week, but if I do, it will most likely be around the 11am, coffee and a bun time.
    - I want quality coffee rather than quantity. I'm not that interested in a giant bucket of coffee. A normal "mug" size of coffee is fine, provided it's nice
    - Comfortable chairs. They don't have to be sofas/armchairs, but they need to be comfortable to sit on for more than 20 minutes.
    - Either table service or self-service. I have an unreasonable dislike of half and half.

If you go ahead and open this, post back here so I can go check it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Any of the cafes that have opened in the village haven't lasted very long.There's been a few given a go in the little shopping centre beside Dominos Pizza over the last few years in particular.Think there's a bakery/coffee shop there now,but it never looks that busy.

Parking in the village is a nightmare too,and there's not much of an office crowd that would be into/willing to pay for fancy coffee either.Most people go to the streat cafe or the Dunnes one in the Mill for tea/coffee if they're doing shopping.Laurels pub do decent food at lunch time,but never that busy.

Village is more of a place people pass through as opposed to wander around and spend time in,as there's feck all really in it besides Tesco,Credit Union and AIB.

The proposed visitor centre at the Round Tower has plans for a cafe too I believe.

Thoie wrote: »
    - I want quality coffee rather than quantity. I'm not that interested in a giant bucket of coffee. A normal "mug" size of coffee is fine, provided it's nice

This is amazingly common in Ireland.

Usually, the bigger the cup - the worse the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 msdoc

I used to work in Park West and Clondalkin would be a bit off putting because of parking. But don't know the area or the demographics.

There is a strip of shops near the Crumlin Children's hospital and I often think that a coffee shop would do well there. There would be hospital employees as well as patients & their parents who want to get out for a couple of hours. If the coffee shop was child friendly (milkshakes, ice cream bar) I think that would be a bonus. The Ronald McDonald house is at the top of the road so maybe some fresh ready meals. It is a busy enough road with a good spread of shops (pharmacy, butchers, centra, greengrocers).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I think this will really come down to your pricing .If you can deliver better quality food and coffee for the same price as the "greasy spoon " cafes you mention , there's a good chance you will be onto a winner.If you cant I don't think it will work as imo the demographic of the daytime visitors to clondalkin village will not pay extra for what you may believe is a better product.

With that said , there does seem to be a growing demand for old style cafe's offering freshly baked cakes , scones, sandwiches etc and a decent cup of tea / coffee at a fair price.This is usually something the greasy spoon place doesn't offer so that may be an option. I wouldn't get too much into barrista style coffee though as the margins on good coffee is very low contrary to what most people seem to think

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Huge generalisations but most of the people in the village during the day are unemployed or retired. These are generally seen stopping off in Boss Hogs or Subway on the one day of the week they go to the village.

Parking and traffic for me are an issue, during the summer I have no problem popping down the village but with schools back the traffic is a lot worse and there is a lot of kids around the village at lunch time. For me personally if the only option was to go grab a coffee in Clondalkin to have a chat with a colleague or a client the only place I would have went was the mill. The food and coffee was muck though but with a better offering you might attract some more people in.

I don't know what the footfall is like on main street in comparison to the mill. If it was my business I would lean towards the Mill due to the fact you have a large base of people in the village who collect money from the post office and would probably stop in for a sambo and a coffee on the way to Dunnes. I don't know if this your target market but IMO it would appeal to people on the go aswell. Moves you a little closer to parkwest and the industrial estates and takes out the fear of getting caught in traffic with free parking thrown in for good measure.

I hadn't really thought of The Mill as a location for a nice cafe, but I'll definitely take your points on board and consider it again. not sure it would suit the style of cafe I have in mind but the number one priority is to have a profitable business.

I dont know the clondalkin area well at all, but when I was a student I worked in a cafe in Dunlaoghaire called GTI. This was a high end cafe, nice coffees, sandwiches, and other food and meals. He spent a lot on the decor, and was constantly upgrading the place, expanding the menu, adding an alcohol license etc.
    I think it stayed open for about 5-6 years and just chewed up all the investment and closed down eventually. The owner was a passionate guy with a good background in marketing. He was certainly dedicated.

Now Dunlaoghaire has been a graveyard for many's a business, but he had a location v close to the cinema, and also bloom fields shopping centre. So there was lots of traffic. Despite a decent lunch trade and packed on a saturday afternoon it still wasn't enough. He couldnt get people in the door in the mornings or the evenings and that was his undoing I think.

Yeah from everything I've researched it seems to be so important to generate trade in the quieter periods of mid-morning and after lunch. Any cafe worth it's salt has to be busy at lunch time or else it's doomed.

I know Dun Laoghaire fairly well as i live near there now, and like Clondalkin I think it contains a wide array of people from different backgrounds, it's just about weighing up the right location with the right offering. The million dollar question.

duffman13 wrote: »
    In fairness Dun Laoghaire is a completely different area. Clondalkin IMO wouldn't be as dependent on a lunch trade and would probably trade very well if the product was right. Looking at Clares Pizzeria which recently reopened. Been doing a roaring trade due to quality and recommendations, they've already had to expand floor space.

There is a lot of reasons to be optimistic opening a new business in Clondalkin

It's good to hear that Claires is doing well, I used to love meals there years ago when it was open originally. Clondalkin sorely misses a couple of restaurants as well and it's no wonder a nice Italian is doing well. there's only so much re-heated food in The Treetop that people can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I hadn't really thought of The Mill as a location for a nice cafe, but I'll definitely take your points on board and consider it again. not sure it would suit the style of cafe I have in mind but the number one priority is to have a profitable business.

I'd prefer somewhere that does "just ok" coffee and a bun (or scone or whatever) to a fancier place in The Mill. I find the place a bit depressing, and not somewhere I want to hang around. Though maybe from your perspective that would be a good thing - get the customers moving through :)

Dutchie wrote: »

We never go into the village for lunch as parking and general traffic is a nightmare. My accountant walks from the office to AIB to do lodgements as it is quicker than driving!

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, a couple of other people have also mentioned a mobile option to me as well. This is a good idea and the Street Food phenomenon has really taken off in other cities around the world where food vans have massive queues every day.

Only problem with this type of operation is the usual red-tape with everything in Ireland. You have to apply for permission to trade in any area, and these requests take time and cost money, but it's the type of business that requires striking while the iron is hot.

I will look into this further though as a mobile unit does offer the appeal of travel and setting up in some nice venues, as well as the lower financial risk.

Thoie wrote: »
    I live near, but not in, Clondalkin, and would be interested in a high end coffee shop, but I wouldn't be your daily customer. If it helps, here's what I'd like:

- Parking. I'd generally be driving into Clondalkin, so want somewhere handy to park.
    - Weekends. I'd be most interested in Saturday/Sunday brunches, with all day breakfasts and fancier options. I want to be able to get breakfast at 2pm on a Sunday when hungover :)
    - I am less likely to use a coffee shop in the village during the week, but if I do, it will most likely be around the 11am, coffee and a bun time.
    - Comfortable chairs. They don't have to be sofas/armchairs, but they need to be comfortable to sit on for more than 20 minutes.
    - Either table service or self-service. I have an unreasonable dislike of half and half.

If you go ahead and open this, post back here so I can go check it out!

ha ha thanks for your input. I like the suggestions. Brunch has to be the best meal of all.
    I agree about the coffee, I like Italian style rather than American.

Any of the cafes that have opened in the village haven't lasted very long.There's been a few given a go in the little shopping centre beside Dominos Pizza over the last few years in particular.Think there's a bakery/coffee shop there now,but it never looks that busy.

Parking in the village is a nightmare too,and there's not much of an office crowd that would be into/willing to pay for fancy coffee either.Most people go to the streat cafe or the Dunnes one in the Mill for tea/coffee if they're doing shopping.Laurels pub do decent food at lunch time,but never that busy.

Village is more of a place people pass through as opposed to wander around and spend time in,as there's feck all really in it besides Tesco,Credit Union and AIB.

The proposed visitor centre at the Round Tower has plans for a cafe too I believe.

Yeah I've actually made some enquiries into the Round Tower project because it could be an amazing tourist site, and a nice cafe there could do great business. The problem is that the details are really sketchy at the moment and no one seems quite sure when exactly the project will definitely go ahead. I also think that a government backed facility are likely to go with a long standing catering business in order to minimise risk, but it will also minimise the chances of creating something new and exciting.

msdoc wrote: »
    I used to work in Park West and Clondalkin would be a bit off putting because of parking. But don't know the area or the demographics.

There is a strip of shops near the Crumlin Children's hospital and I often think that a coffee shop would do well there. There would be hospital employees as well as patients & their parents who want to get out for a couple of hours. If the coffee shop was child friendly (milkshakes, ice cream bar) I think that would be a bonus. The Ronald McDonald house is at the top of the road so maybe some fresh ready meals. It is a busy enough road with a good spread of shops (pharmacy, butchers, centra, greengrocers).

Thanks for the tip, I don't know that area much at all so it hasn't really crossed my mind. My only concern with that location would be the plans for the childrens hospital to move in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Hi, I live in Clondalkin, just on the outskirts of the village & to be honest up to a year ago I would have said there was no where, but in the past 12 months there are 2 places which nobody has mentioned which I would go on a regular basies & you should check out I think. There is Honeycomb in Bawnogue Enterprise Centre, little expensive but very good & has parking or is walking distance for me, and there is now a cafe in Newlands Garden Centre, again has parking, both of these seem to be doing very well. Pandinis at Newlands cross which is also nice

• Advertisement

scwazrh wrote: »
    I think this will really come down to your pricing .If you can deliver better quality food and coffee for the same price as the "greasy spoon " cafes you mention , there's a good chance you will be onto a winner.If you cant I don't think it will work as imo the demographic of the daytime visitors to clondalkin village will not pay extra for what you may believe is a better product.

With that said , there does seem to be a growing demand for old style cafe's offering freshly baked cakes , scones, sandwiches etc and a decent cup of tea / coffee at a fair price.This is usually something the greasy spoon place doesn't offer so that may be an option. I wouldn't get too much into barrista style coffee though as the margins on good coffee is very low contrary to what most people seem to think

I definitely won't be able to offer better quality for the same price, not unless other cafes are overcharging for their food and drinks. I will offer something superior to what's on offer, but not something so cutting edge that it will alienate everyone, I'm not sure 3FE would do well in Clondalkin. I hope that there will be enough of a market that will recognise this superior quality and value, and maybe open some others up to some great food and coffee.

Advertisement