Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice areas to live in Castlebar?

Options
  • 27-08-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Preferably the town centre. I was looking on Daft, but I'm not familiar with Castlebar at all. Saw a few on Castle St., Thomas St., Tara Court ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

yop wrote: »

Thanks, already read the first one. Was hoping to get more info on places in the town centre :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

alroley wrote: »
    Preferably the town centre. I was looking on Daft, but I'm not familiar with Castlebar at all. Saw a few on Castle St., Thomas St., Tara Court ?

Avoid this anyway, they are horrible places to live and it is about a 10 minute walk into the town centre from there, what are you looking for and what is your price range?

Xenji wrote: »
    Avoid this anyway, they are horrible places to live and it is about a 10 minute walk into the town centre from there, what are you looking for and what is your price range?

Somewhere in the town centre as I don't have a car now, and I don't want the walk to work to be too long in case the weather is awful :o Price range is max. 450 a month.

Do you know anything about Castle Street or Thomas Street?

I wouldn't mind sharing either, but most places seem to be in estates a bit outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Somewhere in the town centre as I don't have a car now, and I don't want the walk to work to be too long in case the weather is awful :o Price range is max. 450 a month.

Do you know anything about Castle Street or Thomas Street?

I wouldn't mind sharing either, but most places seem to be in estates a bit outside.

The apartments off to the side of Castle Street are nice and modern although half of them are not finished and probably never will be, it is also in the centre of town, not sure about Thomas street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Was in your position 2 months ago looking for a central apartment in town.

Having a quick look on Daft.ie there's a nice place in Spencer Manor. http://www.daft.ie/lettings/5-spencer-manor-castlebar-mayo/1472222/

Wouldn't go with Tara Court either as mentioned above. The one on Castle Street looks to be above the chipper? That place is open very late. It looks nice but that would be my only concern if you are a light sleeper. Wouldn't go to Cormac Estate, Lower Charles Street either as they are old cold places (some got the external insulation added when grants were available during the recession which helps). Can't find the Thomas Street place you've mentioned. Few pubs towards the Rush Street end of Thomas Street but the rest is fairly quiet except it can be hard to get parking in that area.

Dudda wrote: »
    Was in your position 2 months ago looking for a central apartment in town.

Having a quick look on Daft.ie there's a nice place in Spencer Manor. http://www.daft.ie/lettings/5-spencer-manor-castlebar-mayo/1472222/

Wouldn't go with Tara Court either as mentioned above. The one on Castle Street looks to be above the chipper? That place is open very late. It looks nice but that would be my only concern if you are a light sleeper. Wouldn't go to Cormac Estate, Lower Charles Street either as they are old cold places (some got the external insulation added when grants were available during the recession which helps). Can't find the Thomas Street place you've mentioned. Few pubs towards the Rush Street end of Thomas Street but the rest is fairly quiet except it can be hard to get parking in that area.

Saw that place in Spencer Manor, but my budget is very low :(

I was looking at this little house on Thomas Street
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/13-thomas-street-castlebar-mayo/1478922/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Saw that place in Spencer Manor, but my budget is very low :(

I was looking at this little house on Thomas Street
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/13-thomas-street-castlebar-mayo/1478922/

Ya sorry saw your reply about price range after I posted as I was browsing. That place on Thomas Street looks good. It's close to Super Value, very short walk to town and is far enough away from Bar One, Flynns and the other pubs in that area so it's not too loud. It does look unfurnished, ie no beds or couches? If you are going to view bring a tape and know the size of a double bed and couch before you arrive as it looks tight from the photos.

Dudda wrote: »
    Ya sorry saw your reply about price range after I posted as I was browsing. That place on Thomas Street looks good. It's close to Super Value, very short walk to town and is far enough away from Bar One, Flynns and the other pubs in that area so it's not too loud. It does look unfurnished, ie no beds or couches? If you are going to view bring a tape and know the size of a double bed and couch before you arrive as it looks tight from the photos.

yeah, it says furnished, but it looks like the place is pretty bare.

Thanks for your advice :)

Advertisement