Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing new puppy

• 27-08-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,
    Any advice would be much appreciated. I tried to talk to my vet today but haven't been able to get through to him yet to ask for advice. I have a 6 month old puppy. He's a complete nutter!! He loves attention, walks and other dogs. He also jumps around a lot. My partner and I work long shifts and because he can be left on his own for long periods of time and we can tell how lonely he is, we decided to get a second dog. The new puppy arrived last night. I introduced them on neutral ground and they got on great. Now, the older dog is a medium sized dog and he's heavy and strong. The new dog is going to be a lot smaller. The were doing a lot of play fighting and the little guy (who is 2 months) seemed to be kicking ass. I didn't want to leave them alone over night, just in case. Today, while I'm watching them play, the older dog seems to be very overbearing and the little fella is running away but the older fella won't leave him alone. The play thats causing me concern is, the older one keeps biting the top of the new puppies head and the back of his neck and ears. He also does a lot of paw slapping and knocking him onto his back. The little one just grabs onto whatever he can. Theres been a couple of yelps and while the older one does let go, he doesn't really give the little guy a chance to catch his breath. The play doesn't seem to be overly aggressive. Theres no growling or anything. I had a dog for 16 years who hated every animal that had 4 legs so I know what a p****d off dog looks like. I am just concerned that this behaviour could escalate and that I won't be able to leave them alone together. And advice or insight would be much appreciated. Its a long time since I've had a puppy, never mind two!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

And that is your problem. One puppy on their own is hard work. Two can be a nightmare.

It is one of many reasons it is not recommended to get 2 puppies at the same time.

Another issue is the size difference. Adult dogs playing with puppies tend to be more careful then puppies playing together. The size difference with 2 puppies means that one of your puppies could end up accidentally injured.

If you plan on keeping both pups then they should not be left alone together for the reasons above. You will have to supervise play sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Why u get another pup if you don't even have time for the one you have?

Getting a second one can be a nightmare and leaving two on their own for long periods of time isn't fair either.

You wont be able to leave these alone now together so your problem of one being on its own isn't solved now, prob just made the situation even worse.

Can you maybe take the new pup back to the breeder and just work on keeping one dog happy? Is there daycare in your area or a dog walker that can come in and walk your dog during the day so its not on its own all day long?

Looks like your situation isn't right for one dog let alone two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

When you say he can be left alone for long periods of time, can you elaborate on how long that is? Maybe the other posters are taking you up wrong.

The way the 2 puppies are acting is normal for their age and is why for now they will need to be supervised when they are together.

Are they in crates when ye are not there?

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HungryFish

I do think people are taking me up wrong.

When we got our first dog, the breeder recommended that we get another dog for him to play with. We hadn't planned on getting another dog so soon but the opportunity presented itself.

An update on their behaviour:
    I have never seen my older dog so happy! He loves his new little friend. Although I am not comfortable to leave them alone together yet, the play has become much more gentle and they're also resting together. I've noticed the bigger one looking to the little one to see what to do. Also, the bigger ones behaviour has improved. I actually can't believe how obedient he's become. Bigger one is going to be neutered next week. We have the new puppy 8 days today and I have to say that I have no regrets about getting him. They are both so happy and playful. And the new puppy is almost house trained. Going in one place all the time.

Thank you to everyone who posted and to the first two replies, I obviously didn't put my concerns across in a concise manner. And, bringing the new puppy back now would not be an option. My other dog is so happy with the company that I think he would be very sad.

My main concern was the way they were playing but now I know that that's just what they do.

Once the new puppy is a bit bigger, they can stay together. They're not crated. The bigger one is an outdoor dog. He hated being inside. The new puppy was living outside when we got him and once he gets bigger, he too will probably go out.

As I said originally, I had a dog for 16 years who lived a very long, healthy and happy life.

So, thanks again everyone for your replies

Ps. They're not a nightmare. One in his own was but now he's much easier to deal with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Thats lovely to hear they both seem happier and more content now. Your new addition may not be too pleased at being put outside as hes used to the house and his human family, even if his doggy friend is out there, but maybe now your older dog might be happier coming indoors to his friend?

• Advertisement

maggiepip wrote: »
    Thats lovely to hear they both seem happier and more content now. Your new addition may not be too pleased at being put outside as hes used to the house and his human family, even if his doggy friend is out there, but maybe now your older dog might be happier coming indoors to his friend?

We're going to wait and see how it goes. At the moment, the new puppy doesn't want to come in and every time I open the door he's gone like a rocket. If the older one settles down enough we'll have them both in but at the moment he just wants to run and jump all over the place but that might change once he's used to the new puppy hopefully. Will just have to wait and see :-)

HungryFish wrote: »
    We're going to wait and see how it goes. At the moment, the new puppy doesn't want to come in and every time I open the door he's gone like a rocket. If the older one settles down enough we'll have them both in but at the moment he just wants to run and jump all over the place but that might change once he's used to the new puppy hopefully. Will just have to wait and see :-)

Have a look at the pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

glad to hear things are getting better and they are enjoying eachothers company!

But personally i wouldnt have them sleeping one inside and one outside... I'm sure they would prefer to live indoors.

I have a medium sized dog and he lives / sleeps indoors... he is far happier. for me I dont see the point in having a dog if they are outdoor dogs - but thats just me. Sure you mentioned to work long shifts which i suspect means they already spend lots of time outside in the garden so in my opinion id have the both inside at night time... especially given how cold the nights can be here.

Cute dogs BTW

Have a look at the pic

your older puppy is only 6 months..he wont really calm down until he is 18months or so.... so your just creating issues for yourself i think. its unfair to leave the older one outside until he calms down - you have a puppy thats what they ALL do... you need to train him to realx - not leave him out the back and hope he relax's in time.... it wont happen i can promise you that much. You need to invest time in him training him to be more realxed....

I do feel sorry for the guy outside while one is inside... hardly fair - IMO you may create jealously issues.

Dont seperate them... they will be fine together...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def not fair to have one in and one out. How do you think the outside dog will feel when his best friend is inside? Seriously, recipe for disaster there and very unfair.

Dogs will settle if they are both together, whether its in or out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

You've enhanced their life hugely by giving them both a doggy playmate/companion, so well done! Could you go that one step further and allow them both in the house?!

The older one was always inside until he started looking to go out. He won't come in at night. My last dog always slept outside and as he got older came in. When I say settle down, I don't mean settle altogether. I know that won't happen for a few years. Ever since he was a small puppy, he runs and plays and suddenly just lies down and goes to sleep. When I say settle, I mean for him to come in to sleep. He doesn't have a getting sleepy period. I want to keep both dogs together, no question. I also think that the new puppy would rather be outside but until I'm 100% sure that the older one won't accidentally hurt him I can't leave them alone. I understand the thinking of having your pets indoors and that there's no point in having them otherwise. I personally believe that the dogs should be where ever they're happier. The older dog is definitely spending more time indoors than he was. It's only been a week. We're working on having them together all the time whether it's inside or out :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He doesn't have a getting sleepy period.

What do you feed him?

tk123 wrote: »
    What do you feed him?

Science plan

Science plan

Ok well that's why he's mad :P - Hills is full of cheap fillers. If you do a search you'll find tons of food threads with suggestions of much better foods which should help calm him a bit ;)

tk123 wrote: »
    Ok well that's why he's mad :P - Hills is full of cheap fillers. If you do a search you'll find tons of food threads with suggestions of much better foods which should help calm him a bit ;)

I fed my last dog husse. It seemed to do him well. Do you think that one would be better?

I fed my last dog husse. It seemed to do him well. Do you think that one would be better?

Husse is a pretty poor quality food also... take a look at taste of the wild puppy food:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/taste_of_the_wild/puppy/409318

cocker5 wrote: »
    Husse is a pretty poor quality food also... take a look at taste of the wild puppy food:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/taste_of_the_wild/puppy/409318

Really? I thought husse was really good. My last dog (don't kill me) always had pedigree chum. I know now that it's not good at all. When I changed him to husse, he became more energetic and his coat became lovely and white. They're on science plan now because that was what breeder was feeding. I don't understand why vets sell food if it's so bad! I'm going to have to do some research…thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I don't understand why vets sell food if it's so bad! I'm going to have to do some research…thanks

Nutrition is often not a vets strong point, it's a whole other world of study for them. I believe they are also paid to sell certain brands as well.

Also there's the whole argument of "no dog has died because of Pedigree chum." :P

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I'm going to have to do some research…thanks

Well apologies in advance because your head will be melted!! :pac::P

• Advertisement

Personally I wouldn’t feed my dog certain food as its sold by the VET, while the may have good medical advice (you hope) they do not weigh heavily on nutrition at all.

Like most vets sell either Royal Canin & Hills (both poor quality) and Burns (ok quality), but remember they get commission / kick back to sell the food and that’s why they do it etc.. DEF stay clear of the like of maxi zoo or supermarkets for dog food, commercial dog food is usually very poor quality

your head will be melted once you start researching certain foods…. just some word of advice… do not even consider food that states “crude” protein, ash … or animals derivatives, or fillers, all really poor quality.

You could also look at feeding your dogs the “raw” diet….

I fed my dog burns for about 6 years (it was ok quality, I thought at the time it was great), with some substitutes Ie salmon oil a teaspoon daily, sardines, boiled chicken a few days a week…
    I then moved on to Taste of the wild (grain free) I found it great but in recent months I’ve moved him onto boiled chicken with carrots, parsnip, broccoli (small amount), peas, cauliflowers etc… or boiled mince beef with the same.
    Again salmon oil mixed in every second day for his joints and coat and he’s never been better. He gets fed twice a day….

I still add taste of the wild in some days if he’s been very active etc., but he’s doing great, he adores his food, in all honesty it does cost me more each week, but he’s happy = Im happy.

zooplus is a great site for all things animal!

I've been reading about on gain puppy food. Does anyone know if it's any good?

Did you look up the ingredients?

first item = crude protein and crude ash.... that says it all really... avoid
    unless you want your dog bouncing off the walls....

http://gainfeeds.com/pet/elite-pet-food/

Nutritional Information

Crude Protein29%Crude Oils & Fats16%Crude Fibre2%Crude Ash7.8%Calcium1.4%Phosphorus1%Omega-3 Fats0.9%Omega-6 Fats3.9%

did you take a look at the link for taste of the wild i posted above? waaaay better quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Really? I thought husse was really good. My last dog (don't kill me) always had pedigree chum. I know now that it's not good at all. When I changed him to husse, he became more energetic and his coat became lovely and white. They're on science plan now because that was what breeder was feeding. I don't understand why vets sell food if it's so bad! I'm going to have to do some research…thanks

The food that vets sell isn't 'so bad', it is nutritionally sufficient for your dog. My vet sells a wide variety of food, including Burns which is a good food. If you have used a food previously, and you were happy with it, then I don't see any reason for you to change. Food is very contentious on here, I asked previously if anyone posting had any animal nutrition training, and nobody replied, so I guess not, so its basically what they prefer, and what they have learnt, usually from the interweb.
    Personally I wouldn’t feed my dog certain food as its sold by the VET, while the may have good medical advice (you hope) they do not weigh heavily on nutrition at all.

Like most vets sell either Royal Canin & Hills (both poor quality) and Burns (ok quality), but remember they get commission / kick back to sell the food and that’s why they do it etc.. DEF stay clear of the like of maxi zoo or supermarkets for dog food, commercial dog food is usually very poor quality

your head will be melted once you start researching certain foods…. just some word of advice… do not even consider food that states “crude” protein, ash … or animals derivatives, or fillers, all really poor quality.

You could also look at feeding your dogs the “raw” diet….

I fed my dog burns for about 6 years (it was ok quality, I thought at the time it was great), with some substitutes Ie salmon oil a teaspoon daily, sardines, boiled chicken a few days a week…
    I then moved on to Taste of the wild (grain free) I found it great but in recent months I’ve moved him onto boiled chicken with carrots, parsnip, broccoli (small amount), peas, cauliflowers etc… or boiled mince beef with the same.
    Again salmon oil mixed in every second day for his joints and coat and he’s never been better. He gets fed twice a day….

I still add taste of the wild in some days if he’s been very active etc., but he’s doing great, he adores his food, in all honesty it does cost me more each week, but he’s happy = Im happy.

zooplus is a great site for all things animal!

Why would you advise somebody not to go to Maxi Zoo, its a pet shop, with a wide variety of dog food :confused: They sell one particular food that is around €90 for 15kg, and is sold basically on the same premise as taste of the wild etc.

Do you know what ash means on a dog food label?

Do you think that pet shops and websites sell food at cost? I can't understand this thing about how bad it is that vets make money on food they sell. Of course they do, just like every single vendor does, otherwise why would they do it? The salmon oil you buy, do you get it cost? Why do you not object to the person selling that making money on it? Surely if a vet can make money on food, pet products etc, it can help to keep the cost of treatment down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did you look up the ingredients?

first item = crude protein and crude ash.... that says it all really... avoid
    unless you want your dog bouncing off the walls....

http://gainfeeds.com/pet/elite-pet-food/

Nutritional Information

Crude Protein29%Crude Oils & Fats16%Crude Fibre2%Crude Ash7.8%Calcium1.4%Phosphorus1%Omega-3 Fats0.9%Omega-6 Fats3.9%

Just FYI, those are NOT the ingredients.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Just FYI, those are NOT the ingredients.

Apologies... nutritional breakdown... from their website

muddypaws wrote: »
    The food that vets sell isn't 'so bad', it is nutritionally sufficient for your dog. My vet sells a wide variety of food, including Burns which is a good food. If you have used a food previously, and you were happy with it, then I don't see any reason for you to change. Food is very contentious on here, I asked previously if anyone posting had any animal nutrition training, and nobody replied, so I guess not, so its basically what they prefer, and what they have learnt, usually from the interweb.

Why would you advise somebody not to go to Maxi Zoo, its a pet shop, with a wide variety of dog food :confused: They sell one particular food that is around €90 for 15kg, and is sold basically on the same premise as taste of the wild etc.

Do you know what ash means on a dog food label?

Do you think that pet shops and websites sell food at cost? I can't understand this thing about how bad it is that vets make money on food they sell. Of course they do, just like every single vendor does, otherwise why would they do it? The salmon oil you buy, do you get it cost? Why do you not object to the person selling that making money on it? Surely if a vet can make money on food, pet products etc, it can help to keep the cost of treatment down?

Not too sure why you’re getting a bee in your bonnet, I’m entitled to my opinion…

I never said vet were not allowed to make money from the food the sell… I said they don’t always sell good nutritional food.

Never in my post did I say I got my salmon oil for cost price?? infact I don’t believe I mention cost price anywhere. I did say I found zooplus very good and I stand by that….

Also I stand by what said about pet shops and maxi zoo… a lot of the food they sell is rubbish…. the staff (99% are students) are not qualified to give advice so the recommend any brand etc… just because its pricey doesn’t mean its good (im sure you already agree with this)
    again my opinion, you are also entitled to your muddy paws democracy and all that.

OP…. research the best brand to suit your dog and your budget…. look up ingredients and nutrituonal value… these should help you decide.

There's no need for everyone to get up in a heap!! :-) it's only dog food!!

Dried Chicken & Turkey (min 30%), Rice (20%), Wholegrain Maize, Dehulled Oats, Poultry Fat, Maize Gluten, Sugar Beet Pulp, Chicken Gravy, Fish Meal, Egg, Linssed, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides (0.3%), TruCal Milk Mineral Complex, Products from processing plants

Any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Taste of the wild puppy
    Acana Junior & Puppy
    Lily's Kitchen
    Nutrivet Growth
    Orijen Puppy food

All grain free which is the main thing to look for (but because they are grain free they are also going to be a tad more expensive).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP, rule of thumb with dry dog food is that the main ingredient should be a meat product. The cheaper foods and supermarket brands are all full of cereal fillers and usually make up the bulk of the food. You'll always see on a bag of pedigree that it says it's "complete" and "with chicken/beef". Read the small print and there's 4% meat and the main ingredient is cereals. When a food is full of fillers such as cereals you have to feed more of it to ensure the dog gets enough of the recommended nutritional requirement so a cheap food will just goes through the dog and you'll be picking up large (probably sloppy) poos. Get a decent, usually more expensive food and the portion sizes will be smaller, and the poos should be better due to better quality ingredients. The bag will last longer too, making it better value in the long run. Although bear in mind that some dogs don't suit certain foods, even the most expensive of foods, so it's wise to try small bags of a few brands before splashing out on a big bag.

I personally feed my dogs raw/fresh food, but look after plenty of dry fed dogs, and have to pick up plenty of poo :D. I know exactly who's done what poo going on consistency and size based on what they're fed, and the cheaper foods don't fare well in the poo stakes:o

Advertisement