Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing new puppy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

HungryFish wrote: »
    There's no need for everyone to get up in a heap!! :-) it's only dog food!!

Dried Chicken & Turkey (min 30%), Rice (20%), Wholegrain Maize, Dehulled Oats, Poultry Fat, Maize Gluten, Sugar Beet Pulp, Chicken Gravy, Fish Meal, Egg, Linssed, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Fructooligosaccharides (0.3%), TruCal Milk Mineral Complex, Products from processing plants

Any good?

Exactly :)

That looks alright. Bear in mind that pups generally need a fattier food, as they are growing, and need the energy for that. Dogs get their energy from fat, not the protein as a lot of people think, so check the fat (may be labelled as oils) levels on the food.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Not too sure why you’re getting a bee in your bonnet, I’m entitled to my opinion…

I never said vet were not allowed to make money from the food the sell… I said they don’t always sell good nutritional food.

Never in my post did I say I got my salmon oil for cost price?? infact I don’t believe I mention cost price anywhere. I did say I found zooplus very good and I stand by that….

Also I stand by what said about pet shops and maxi zoo… a lot of the food they sell is rubbish…. the staff (99% are students) are not qualified to give advice so the recommend any brand etc… just because its pricey doesn’t mean its good (im sure you already agree with this)
    again my opinion, you are also entitled to your muddy paws democracy and all that.

OP…. research the best brand to suit your dog and your budget…. look up ingredients and nutrituonal value… these should help you decide.

You said that vets receive commission/kick back, which I think is a dreadful thing to say, as it implies that they are corrupt in some way. They sell products, just like other vendors, why not just see it like that?

I know all of the staff at a few maxi-zoos, and none of them are students. The staff there also do have nutritional training, yes, they may be encouraged to sell certain brands, but they do have training, from different sources. I would guess that training would be more than the people who send out the orders and run the website of zooplus, which is a pet shop, just an online, rather than a bricks and mortar one :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

HungryFish wrote: »
    There's no need for everyone to get up in a heap!! :-) it's only dog food!!
    It's one of the last turf wars around here along with electrical buzz necklaces; on most other topics the regulars are pretty much in agreement (well I guess you could possibly add when/if to neuter males as well but it's not really getting people that emotional).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

muddypaws wrote: »
    You said that vets receive commission/kick back, which I think is a dreadful thing to say, as it implies that they are corrupt in some way. They sell products, just like other vendors, why not just see it like that?

I know all of the staff at a few maxi-zoos, and none of them are students. The staff there also do have nutritional training, yes, they may be encouraged to sell certain brands, but they do have training, from different sources. I would guess that training would be more than the people who send out the orders and run the website of zooplus, which is a pet shop, just an online, rather than a bricks and mortar one :)

what are you talking about a ""dreadful thing to say" they do get comission.... corrupt??? again... what????????

did i even say those words and no i wasnt implying anything... i said they get comission... eh and the funny thing is THEY DO!! Simple as....

Not even getting into the Maxi zoo debate... i know of two Naas and Bray and its exactlty as i said above...

again i know your a zooplus hater (or so you come accross).... but id rather buy my goods there...

hmmmm looks like somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed today.... take a chill pilll... and one from Maxi zoo of course and not zooplus heaven forbid!! :pac: :D

cocker5 wrote: »
    what are you talking about a ""dreadful thing to say" they do get comission.... corrupt??? again... what????????

did i even say those words and no i wasnt implying anything... i said they get comission... eh and the funny thing is THEY DO!! Simple as....

Not even getting into the Maxi zoo debate... i know of two Naas and Bray and its exactlty as i said above...

again i know your a zooplus hater (or so you come accross).... but id rather buy my goods there...

hmmmm looks like somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed today.... take a chill pilll... and one from Maxi zoo of course and not zooplus heaven forbid!! :pac: :D

Re-read your post, you said kick back, which does imply corruption. All vendors buy things at one price and sell at a higher, its how businesses survive. The vets will do the same with the drugs they administer, so not sure why other products within their premises should be seen in a different way.

I'd really appreciate if you could find one example of anything I've ever said against zooplus. Weird that I would buy stuff from there if I hated it :confused:

• Advertisement

Re-read your post, you said kick back, which does imply corruption. All vendors buy things at one price and sell at a higher, its how businesses survive. The vets will do the same with the drugs they administer, so not sure why other products within their premises should be seen in a different way.

I'd really appreciate if you could find one example of anything I've ever said against zooplus. Weird that I would buy stuff from there if I hated it :confused:

oh here we go again...

I'm out of this thread now... muddypaws the floor is all yours....enjoy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They sell products, just like other vendors, why not just see it like that?

I think, in fairness, it's not as simple as that.
    People buy certain brands from the vet because it's the vet that's selling it, and because there is a belief that it *must* be the best because the vet is selling it, even when it's really not that wonderful a food.
    No other professional in the animal industry has this level of nuanced and not-so-nuanced influence on what pet owners buy for their pets to eat... it's not a level playing field because they have a captive market.
    And I'm only talking about passive selling... having the food on display for owners to draw conclusions about how good it must be as the vet is selling it. I do not include in this the huge influence of the vet actively pushing the foods they sell to owners, despite that food not actually being the best the owner could buy for the same money.
    This effect, that people are more likely to buy from their vet because he/she's a vet, is utterly capitalised upon by some food companies that market their food as "recommended by vets", "created by vets" etc
    Vets can sell what they like for profit, of course they can, but the cynical side of me does not much like the way they use the influence they know they have, to sell products that owners believe are better than they are... because the vet sold the product to them.

DBB wrote: »
    I think, in fairness, it's not as simple as that.
    People buy certain brands from the vet because it's the vet that's selling it, and because there is a belief that it *must* be the best because the vet is selling it, even when it's really not that wonderful a food.
    No other professional in the animal industry has this level of nuanced and not-so-nuanced influence on what pet owners buy for their pets to eat... it's not a level playing field because they have a captive market.
    And I'm only talking about passive selling... having the food on display for owners to draw conclusions about how good it must be as the vet is selling it. I do not include in this the huge influence of the vet actively pushing the foods they sell to owners, despite that food not actually being the best the owner could buy for the same money.
    This effect, that people are more likely to buy from their vet because he/she's a vet, is utterly capitalised upon by some food companies that market their food as "recommended by vets", "created by vets" etc
    Vets can sell what they like for profit, of course they can, but the cynical side of me does not much like the way they use the influence they know they have, to sell products that owners believe are better than they are... because the vet sold the product to them.

My vet sells collars, leads, toys etc. A lot of the stuff, I wouldn't trust, so won't buy from them. They sell a very wide range of food, Massbrook, Burns, Hills, Propac etc, so its up to the customer to choose which is in their price range and which they want. They also have the option of different wormers, from named brands to generic, again, giving the customer the choice. They also sell electric collars :(

But the thing is, if it says created by vets, then it was, Burns was (is?) a vet, same as the founder of Royal Canin. I just think that there is enough information out there for people to make their own mind up. Same as vaccinations now I think, some vets say annual boosters, other say not, its up to the pet owner to listen and make their own mind up. :)

People can make their own informed decisions, but the trouble is if their vet is encouraging them to feed x food (which he happens to sell), then they *think* they are making an informed decision already. But they're not, because if the vet also sells the food(s) he's recommending, then the information gained towards making the decision is seriously biased.
    I would say that at least half (I think I'm being conservative) of owners I talk to have their dog on the food it's on, because their vet both recommended, and sold it. The fact that the vet sells more than one brand is immaterial, my point is that vets do enjoy significant influence over what food owners select, whether the food is rubbish or not.

People can make their own informed decisions, but the trouble is if their vet is encouraging them to feed x food (which he happens to sell), then they *think* they are making an informed decision already. But they're not, because if the vet also sells the food(s) he's recommending, then the information gained towards making the decision is seriously biased.
    I would say that at least half (I think I'm being conservative) of owners I talk to have their dog on the food it's on, because their vet both recommended, and sold it. The fact that the vet sells more than one brand is immaterial, my point is that vets do enjoy significant influence over what food owners select, whether the food is rubbish or not.

My point exactly... Although put a lot better than my posts :)

• Advertisement

But do you believe that the vet is selling a product dishonestly then, that they don't actually believe that it is a good food?

You should spend time in a pet shop, and watch the interaction between staff and customers. So many people listen to the staff and trust that they know what they are talking about, the same as with a vet.

Here's a question for you, do you buy the toothpaste that your dentist recommends and sells?

But do you believe that the vet is selling a product dishonestly then, that they don't actually believe that it is a good food?

No, I don't believe they're being dishonest. That's making too big a leap from what I've said, which is that vets have far greater influence over the foods and products people buy than any other pet professional, because they're vets.
    I'm quite sure they believe it's a good food, based on what they've been told about that food by the company that sells it. Does that mean it is a good food? Of course not. That doesn't make the vet dishonest. Misled perhaps, but not dishonest.
    You should spend time in a pet shop, and watch the interaction between staff and customers. So many people listen to the staff and trust that they know what they are talking about, the same as with a vet.

I have little doubt that many owners listen to pet shop staff, but I don't believe for a moment that pet shop staff have anywhere near the same degree of influence over what their customers buy than vets do.
    The standard answer I get from at least 50% of owners when asked what they feed their dogs is "it's that good food the vet sells", or they'll be able to call it by brand name, but they always qualify it by saying they bought it from their vet.
    For the record, and remembering that many have actually had a degree of training in nutrition and the interactions between diet and behaviour, dog behaviour associations forbid their members from pushing ANY product on a client.
    Personally, I feel pretty uncomfortable about selling any particular behavioural product, because I don't want to put clients into the position that many vets do.
    Here's a question for you, do you buy the toothpaste that your dentist recommends and sells?

I do buy the product my dentist recommends specifically because it is one of few products that sufficiently treats a problem I have with my teeth.
    But, he does not sell any dental products. He does give me various free samples of mouthwash and the like that some of the reps leave with him though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is it something to even think about to introduce a Puppy to a much older Dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Is it something to even think about to introduce a Puppy to a much older Dog?

As long as the older dog is fit and healthy (i.e physically able for an exuberant and naughty pup) I don't see any reason why not.

We've just introduced a new pup to our 13, 11 and 10 year old dogs without problems.

The only issue is that none of the oldsters really wants to play at puppy levels of intensity any more, we have to find younger "victims" for that elsewhere.
    On the other hand, some of their more sedate and sensible behaviour is indeed rubbing off on the youngfella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

peasant wrote: »
    As long as the older dog is fit and healthy (i.e physically able for an exuberant and naughty pup) I don't see any reason why not.

We've just introduced a new pup to our 13, 11 and 10 year old dogs without problems.

The only issue is that none of the oldsters really wants to play at puppy levels of intensity any more, we have to find younger "victims" for that elsewhere.
    On the other hand, some of their more sedate and sensible behaviour is indeed rubbing off on the youngfella.
    Our guy will be 15 soon. He's the friendliest dog you can meet but healers most of the time and isn't that playful

Advertisement