Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Chrome 64 bit browser out

• 27-08-2014 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

There is a new Google Chrome 64 bit browser out. It makes use of the full memory of a PC - not just the first 4GB or so. More secure.

VP9 video playing - which aims to be faster than HEVC. More secure, includes ASLR that makes bug exploits harder. One suspects that it will be some time before there are a lot of exploits for Chrome 37 as the population of users will be small initially. Not an automatic update - you need to download it, eg from the link below.

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/?platform=win64

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I shall look forward to the Iron version ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Impetus wrote: »
    It makes use of the full memory of a PC - not just the first 4GB or so. More secure.

What does this mean? I installed 37 on 2 terminal servers yesterday, is it going to cripple them memory wise ?

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I shall look forward to the Iron version ;)

Why not a platinum browser? EUR 500 a year to subscribe to it - with lots of add-ons like free next day on site service for your pc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

What does this mean? I installed 37 on 2 terminal servers yesterday, is it going to cripple them memory wise ?

Nate
    It's Version 37 for any Chrome Virgins out there who raised an eyebrow at this.

It won't cripple anything, they want need people online, they need to streamline stuff, possible extra memory use is a security thing...
    The security of the systems have also been improved in the 64-bit version by having access to a larger pool of memory.

Since, Windows has a built-in security feature called ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) which makes bug exploits harder to write by randomizing the location of items such as DLLs in memory. Because the new version have much more memory available, bug exploits are difficult to create, and with more memory to work with, the process becomes even harder.
    Though saying that it's a new release and their's bound to be still bugs so I'd expect it to rape a few machines here and there.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I shall look for ward to the Iron version ;)
    Impetus wrote: »
    Why not a platinum browser? EUR 500 a year to subscribe to it - with lots of add-ons like free next day on site service for your pc etc...
    Bonzo means SRware (I'm guessing) what's this Platinum stuff about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

They are all metals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You guessed right RF :cool:

Advertisement