Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion buying house Cherry Garth Swords

Options
  • 27-08-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

Hoping I could get some advice on this area. We are an Irish family currently renting in Raheny absolutely love Raheny but cant afford to buy here.
    We have been house hunting north county Dublin Meath and even Drogheda but now a small house in Cherry Garth Swords has come up for sale. Im not familiar with this area although I've heard not so good opinions of neighbouring river valley? We have 1 child and hoping to raise her in a family friendly safe community. The maturity of this estate really appeals to us. id rather not have hoards of kids plying on the street/greens.

Any opinion on the Holy family national school also?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 omad65

Don’t know Cherry Garth all that well, but River valley in general is a nice area. You would not have issues bringing up a child in the area. I live next to Rivervalley in Ridgewood.
    Also, Holy family is a very good primary school with an excellent reputation locally, the difficulty you may have is actually getting a place!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

starsolas wrote: »
    Hi

Hoping I could get some advice on this area. We are an Irish family currently renting in Raheny absolutely love Raheny but cant afford to buy here.
    We have been house hunting north county Dublin Meath and even Drogheda but now a small house in Cherry Garth Swords has come up for sale. Im not familiar with this area although I've heard not so good opinions of neighbouring river valley? We have 1 child and hoping to raise her in a family friendly safe community. The maturity of this estate really appeals to us. id rather not have hoards of kids plying on the street/greens.

Any opinion on the Holy family national school also?

Thanks guys

Cherry Garth is part of Rivervalley not just a neighbour. Lots of different areas in Rivervalley but all part of the parish/estate.

Live in Rivervalley 25 years, love it. No problems at all. Cherry Garth is right beside the school which is an excellent school. My four kids went there with no problems. Lovely grounds, staff, lots of after school activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭sidcon

I live on Cherry Garth, moved in just over 2 years ago with my wife and kids, while the estate itself is mature, the residents would not be so much, it's more of a mix, there is plenty of kids on the road and all of them get on grand with each other, the school is very good and has plenty of after school classes to keep little ones busy. The only downside would be secondary schools, there is a lack of decent ones in swords and we currently looking at sending our 10 year old to baldoyle for secondary school.
    The local shops while look run down are a good service (planning permission has been granted for an Aldi on the centra site) and of course the village itself is only 10-15 mins away.
    If you have any questions fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

sidcon wrote: »
    . The only downside would be secondary schools, there is a lack of decent ones in swords and we currently looking at sending our 10 year old to baldoyle for secondary school.

Loreto college & Coláiste Choilm are two excellent secondary schools with very good reputations. A few years ago, parents were camping all weekend to get their children in to Loreto.

PWEI wrote: »
    Loreto college & Coláiste Choilm are two excellent secondary schools with very good reputations. A few years ago, parents were camping all weekend to get their children in to Loreto.

Trouble is getting someone in, our 10 year old is number 51 on a waiting list which shows a lack of facilities in swords in general.
    Priority is given to past pupils siblings or children rather than people that actually live in the area. I'm aware of someone who is sending her child to Loreto but lives in Blancharstown, which is not right.

• Advertisement

Trouble is getting someone in, our 10 year old is number 51 on a waiting list which shows a lack of facilities in swords in general.
    Priority is given to past pupils siblings or children rather than people that actually live in the area. I'm aware of someone who is sending her child to Loreto but lives in Blancharstown, which is not right.

But if a child goes to one of the Catholic primary schools in Swords, she has a very high chance of getting in to Loreto. It's a lottery system now & yes past pupils siblings get the highest allocation. But children going to the Catholic primary schools get the 2nd highest allocation.
    I was lucky enough to get my daughter in & she started this week but she went to Swords Educate Together & they only got 4 places this year.

But if a child goes to one of the Catholic primary schools in Swords, she has a very high chance of getting in to Loreto. It's a lottery system now & yes past pupils siblings get the highest allocation. But children going to the Catholic primary schools get the 2nd highest allocation.
    I was lucky enough to get my daughter in & she started this week but she went to Swords Educate Together & they only got 4 places this year.

Our 10 year old has attended Holy Family all her schooling life so far. Still doesn't seem fair.

Our 10 year old has attended Holy Family all her schooling life so far. Still doesn't seem fair.

I agree it's not fair but children attending Holy Family have a much better chance of getting in than any of the other non Catholic primary schools in Swords.

The 3 Catholic schools get 77 places.

There are 9 other schools including the national schools in Oldtown
    & Ballyboughal competing for the last 13 places. Now that's not fair either.

I agree it's not fair but children attending Holy Family have a much better chance of getting in than any of the other non Catholic primary schools in Swords.

The 3 Catholic schools get 77 places.

There are 9 other schools including the national schools in Oldtown
    & Ballyboughal competing for the last 13 places. Now that's not fair either.

I know and as you can see from my original post I did not mention any school in particular I simply said that there is a lack of decent schools in the swords area

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've lived happily in Rivervalley for more than 30 years. My daughters went to the Holy Family and Loreto and I and have no complaints about either school, they're marvellous.
    There's a great sense of community here and plenty of activities for kids, between the community centre and sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Great place to rear a family.

Advertisement