Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What grinds your gears?

• 27-08-2014 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

In the motorcycle world, commuting, travelling, touring etc etc.. What do other 2 wheelers do to boil your blood?

I've 2 main ones:

1. Motorcyclists that skip to the top of the queue of cars and then stop over the pedestrian crossing - stop before the crossing or after it FFS!

2. Motorcyclists that don't observe stopping ethic; if someone else is at the lights before you, let them go first - don't pull up to a set of lights and stop in front of me!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Probably indicators and when someone pulls out in front of you, you have to brake, then they crawl along in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 suasdaguna2

new traffic cops on bikes acting the total ass like the one today who looked like he was on a high pulling, riding like he was at the TT, flooring it from light to light, using his twos and blues to go thru the lights at john o gods at stillorgan, having read the riot act to a taxi for what i haven't a clue at the stillorgan park ...then the the best, stopping to blare in the window of a van turning right on the lepordstown road while the tail of his bike was out in the fast lane....FFS. As an experienced biker I was watching his riding like a hawk . If I rode like that I would have had the book thrown at me and deservedly so. Apart from his embarrassing behaviour that is not the norm for the bike lads......his riding was appalling. Did he do one lifesaver zig zaggin in the traffic today? Nope. So if your out there mr newbie, take a leaf out of your colleagues, take a chill pill , grow up and ride like your instructors taught you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Any bike being in front of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

99% of other road users in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

What grinds my gears is a bad clutch.....

sorry just had too....:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Only one really pisses me off, not sure if I can explain it clear.
    Going up between a line of stopped traffic (or to the left or right) up to a red light and you're going behind another biker. But when you get to the top the other biker stops in line with the front cars instead of pulling right out in front of them, leaving me stuck in between cars behind him for when the lights go green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Tailgaters. I've experimented with and without wearing the L tabard, and it appears to be just as bad either way - the standard of being up your hole if you're not doing 20kph above the limit seems to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

jameshayes wrote: »
    In the motorcycle world, commuting, travelling, touring etc etc.. What do other 2 wheelers do to boil your blood?

I've 2 main ones:

1. Motorcyclists that skip to the top of the queue of cars and then stop over the pedestrian crossing - stop before the crossing or after it FFS!

2. Motorcyclists that don't observe stopping ethic; if someone else is at the lights before you, let them go first - don't pull up to a set of lights and stop in front of me!!

I have a few spots on on my commute that is will stop on a pedestrian crossing as there is no room unless I wait behind the cars and also the pedestrians have a red man so should no be crossing the road anyways.

And to be a total ass to you ... I would also go past a bike that is in front of me when we get to the lights of I have been catching up with them before hand. As I am therefore filtering faster and am not going to hold them up. They will hold me up. Likewise if a bike is filtering faster than me k will move over and allow it to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,378 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Used to be a very annoying scooter rider I'd often meet on my commute, had 2 very annoying habits:

- At a red traffic light, go waaay into the junction (literally as far forward as he could go without being hit) then take off really slowly when the light goes green, but he still had just enough head start to get in the way. Pass him, next red light he'd filter up and do the same.

- Also had a very annoying and dangerous habit of passing queues on the right and swinging across the top of the queue into the left gutter like a scene from TRON, he took no account of whether he was swinging across another bike, or whether the light had just gone green and that bike had already started to move!!!

Used to be another guy at the car park in work who'd regularly park his Honda 50 sideways across a space two large bikes could have fitted in :rolleyes: was always in very early, too.

Two more: morons using main beam on bikes, not even dipping when following right behind another bike, making their mirrors useless. Bikes that come up behind, won't pass or stay a safe distance behind but just cruise along in your blind spot.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I had a clown last week on an english reg scooter tell me my lights weren't on, thanks lad. I choose not to have them on in daylight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I had a clown last week on an english reg scooter tell me my lights weren't on, thanks lad. I choose not to have them on in daylight

To be fair. He might of throught they were broken and he was being sound telling you.
    On my SV and Vstrom you cant turn off the dipped beams. They just come on when you turn the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

leppla wrote: »

And to be a total ass to you ... I would also go past a bike that is in front of me when we get to the lights of I have been catching up with them before hand. As I am therefore filtering faster and am not going to hold them up. They will hold me up. Likewise if a bike is filtering faster than me k will move over and allow it to pass.

But that's when the ethic wins out, in that instance, pass by all means - I mean like the scooter story above, randomly overtaking a bike sitting at a junction and then going 30kmh on green!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Cienciano wrote: »
    Only one really pisses me off, not sure if I can explain it clear.
    Going up between a line of stopped traffic (or to the left or right) up to a red light and you're going behind another biker. But when you get to the top the other biker stops in line with the front cars instead of pulling right out in front of them, leaving me stuck in between cars behind him for when the lights go green.

I might be way off field here, but aren't you thought to do that in rospa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

That reminds me,2 weeks ago,a ban Garda at a check point starts giving out to me saying one of my lights isn't working.
    After me asking her was it her first day and pointing out that that's the way they're supposed to be, she starts giggling like a school girl and said "oh! I never knew that!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,378 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

goodlad wrote: »
    To be fair. He might of throught they were broken and he was being sound telling you.

It's dangerous only having a single tail light with no way of knowing if it's blown since you started your journey. All bikes should have LED or twin tail lights.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I see a lot of bikers take off from the lights and leave their foot out for ages, sort of dragging their heel. Dont know why but it really grinds my gears. Put it on the feckin peg as you take off ffs

Zascar wrote: »
    I see a lot of bikers take off from the lights and leave their foot out for ages, sort of dragging their heel. Dont know why but it really grinds my gears. Put it on the feckin peg as you take off ffs

Or worse again two feet . . . Sometimes till they are nearly in 6th gear !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

leppla wrote: »
    Or worse again two feet . . . Sometimes till they are nearly in 6th gear !!!

lol i do that!... on the motorway if ive been on for an hour or two ill stretch me legs and let them slide/bounce of the road... anything to disrupt the boredom of a straight road.. maybe i should learn how to wheelie instead! :D

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    lol i do that!... on the motorway if ive been on for an hour or two ill stretch me legs and let them slide/bounce of the road... anything to disrupt the boredom of a straight road.. maybe i should learn how to wheelie instead! :D

Ah I will also stretch my legs while on a long trip on the motorway etc. the difference here is that ppl do this when taking off from light etc. for what I can only imagine gives them some sense of false security if they loose balance they can put there feet down and keep the bike up! Bit in realty they would just break both there legs and still drop the bike.

You will have much better balance if you have both feet on the pegs so yes, its a false sense of security. I am reading all these and the next boards ride out I am gonna do them all!!!!!!

MWahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    You will have much better balance if you have both feet on the pegs so yes, its a false sense of security. I am reading all these and the next boards ride out I am gonna do them all!!!!!!

MWahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just ride as you normally do so Wonda haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Gardai that haven't a clue about bikes. When I had my CBR250 I had a garda tell me it was a fireblade :rolleyes: When I bought my 690 Duke I had a garda tell me "those scramblers aren't road legal" :rolleyes:

Being stuck behind a biker who won't/doesn't filter but also won't let you pass them. Anyone familiar with the dual carriageway in Ferrybank (or similar roads) can attest to how bloody annoying this can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

those lunatics that go faster then me

and those slow old feckers that hold me up

worst tho are those ***** that just go the same speed as ya

Wossack wrote: »
    those lunatics that go faster then me

and those slow old feckers that hold me up

worst tho are those ***** that just go the same speed as ya

Or the flash fcukers that have better gear or a hot chick on the back :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Or the flash fcukers that have better gear or a hot chick on the back :mad:

dem gits :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

Shoddy road work repairs, resurfacing by slapping down some tar and firing some chippings down hoping they'll stick and gravel slap bang in the middle of a corner on the driving line.
    So generally just all gravel. Maybe I should get some motocross lessons :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Guys that dont wave/nod........you know who u are...:cool:
    Guys that drive too fast in bus lanes or through slow/stationary traffic...
    Guys with bald tyres and/or slack chains..
    Guys that bore the shyte out of ya with their stories....
    Guys that drive tourers/trailies with un-used knee sliders...take them off ffs...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Tailgaters. I've experimented with and without wearing the L tabard, and it appears to be just as bad either way - the standard of being up your hole if you're not doing 20kph above the limit seems to apply.

This is annoying the ****e out of me. I don't have total confidence in my cornering yet but I'm not going that slow. It certainly doesn't help when I have half my attention distracted by the bloody cage looming in the feckin' mirrors two feet behind.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

On the way home from the spin on Sunday myself and Zubair moved up the outside of some stationary traffic and some dope shouts at us "****ing bikes...." Traffic moved on and we were right in front of him. The spa took the left land on a roundabout to try take the roundabout faster than us, pass the 2 exits his lane was for and then try cut in front of us on our exit..... Complete dope! That kinda **** does my head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

goodlad wrote: »
    On the way home from the spin on Sunday myself and Zubair moved up the outside of some stationary traffic and some dope shouts at us "****1ng bikes...." Traffic moved on and we were right in front of him. The spa took the left land on a roundabout to try take the roundabout faster than us, pass the 2 exits his lane was for and then cut in front of us on our exit..... Complete dope! That kinda **** does my head in.

That sort of shít makes me want to follow him home to damage his car/person :mad:

Advertisement