Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What grinds your gears?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Feckers that steal other people bikes. The bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

First commute on the bike today, and I have to add "Lads who drive up your arse and beep at you because you won't overtake a tractor on a blind corner" to the list. More evidence that the L tabard if anything actually makes people have less time for you.

EDIT: Just emptied the helmet cam, here's the relevant bits. Beeped first so I'd pass a tractor on a white line, with a blind bend coming, and an approaching car (no thanks, I'd like to go home alive today). Then blasted past after a roundabout. Genius hey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

goodlad wrote: »
    On the way home from the spin on Sunday myself and Zubair moved up the outside of some stationary traffic and some dope shouts at us "****ing bikes...." Traffic moved on and we were right in front of him. The spa took the left land on a roundabout to try take the roundabout faster than us, pass the 2 exits his lane was for and then try cut in front of us on our exit..... Complete dope! That kinda **** does my head in.

Yep I find roundabouts the worst for this. I have two roundabouts on my commute and 80% of the time there is a diesel spill on one or both so I take it nice and handy on them. But this means the car behind becomes very large in the mirrors. Infact the roundabout at enfield today had an amazing amount of sand/grit spilt on it. I was in the car so it wasnt a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

gerrowadat wrote: »
    EDIT: Just emptied the helmet cam, here's the relevant bits.

The Gardai love video clips like this, especially if they can read the license plate. Then they will pay him a little visit. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

People who don't nod back grind my gears. If someone nods at me I'll always nod back. I don't nod at everyone I see - but quite a few - even on the commute. Generally I give them a nod if they look like a proper biker and not 'just some lad who occaisionally rides a motorbike'. I've come to the conclusion that you can judge it on their lid. If they have a really old crappy helmet - they are probably not a real biker** and they are less likely to nod back. They have a nice bike and decent gear they almost always do.

**sorry I hate to use that phrase but its kinda true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...when the handlebar gear cables on my Vespa stretch, that's pretty much a guarantee of my gears grinding............ :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

On the way home from the spin on Sunday myself and Zubair moved up the outside of some stationary traffic and some dope shouts at us "****ing bikes...." Traffic moved on and we were right in front of him. The spa took the left land on a roundabout to try take the roundabout faster than us, pass the 2 exits his lane was for and then try cut in front of us on our exit..... Complete dope! That kinda **** does my head in.

This kinda **** never happens when I am with you!!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Drivers who can't use their dims properly really gets on my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Despite his best efforts he didn't get around us on the roundabout, we made sure of that :D

zubair wrote: »
    Despite his best efforts he didn't get around us on the roundabout, we made sure of that :D

Fair play.....alot of us bikers have a reputation. WE NEED TO MAKE SURE WE ENFORCE IT !!!!!

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Zascar wrote: »
    People who don't nod back grind my gears. If someone nods at me I'll always nod back. I don't nod at everyone I see - but quite a few - even on the commute.

Speaking of nodding.....any of ye use the 'stick out the foot' method instead of nodding?
    I seem to pass a lot of people doing this lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

blade1 wrote: »
    Speaking of nodding.....any of ye use the 'stick out the foot' method instead of nodding?
    I seem to pass a lot of people doing this lately.
    I do it sometimes. In some situations you can't take your hand off the bars, so the foot has to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

gerrowadat wrote: »
    First commute on the bike today, and I have to add "Lads who drive up your arse and beep at you because you won't overtake a tractor on a blind corner" to the list. More evidence that the L tabard if anything actually makes people have less time for you.

EDIT: Just emptied the helmet cam, here's the relevant bits. Beeped first so I'd pass a tractor on a white line, with a blind bend coming, and an approaching car (no thanks, I'd like to go home alive today). Then blasted past after a roundabout. Genius hey.

Are you out by barberstown castle there on the way to clane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Are you out by barberstown castle there on the way to clane?

That's right. Stuck behind that fecking tractor since wolstan's.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh another one...

Cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Just remember everyone....

keep-calm-and-braap--24.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    What grinds my gears is a bad clutch.....

sorry just had too....:o:o

Was your clutch cable on the way out or did you tempt fate with this post Wonda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Oh another one...

Cyclists.

:eek:............oh no he didnt...............

Oh another one...

Cyclists.
    :eek:............oh no he didnt...............

Even when I cycle I think other cyclists are the most annoying road users.

jvan wrote: »
    Was your clutch cable on the way out or did you tempt fate with this post Wonda!

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing mate.......costly in the end!!! Wont make the same mistake again. Wonder if it works booth ways.......coz I would love to win the lotto and get myself a Explorer 1200 and go exploring!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

People who don't nod back grind my gears. If someone nods at me I'll always nod back. I don't nod at everyone I see - but quite a few - even on the commute. Generally I give them a nod if they look like a proper biker and not 'just some lad who occaisionally rides a motorbike'. I've come to the conclusion that you can judge it on their lid. If they have a really old crappy helmet - they are probably not a real biker** and they are less likely to nod back. They have a nice bike and decent gear they almost always do.

**sorry I hate to use that phrase but its kinda true

How can you tell if their helmet is crap or not? I mean when I nod at an oncoming biker I don't have time to see the state of their helmet. I see the bike approaching, I nod or wave and then I'm passed and gone. I barely have time to make out the bike let alone the helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Blondie919 wrote: »
    How can you tell if their helmet is crap or not? I mean when I nod at an oncoming biker I don't have time to see the state of their helmet. I see the bike approaching, I nod or wave and then I'm passed and gone. I barely have time to make out the bike let alone the helmet.

You drive at 150mph+ for at least 10 min.
    You then slow down to match speed limit!
    Then you get a Matrix like feeling as the whole world seems to be moving in slow motion, so you take in way more than you normally would..:pac:

Just wave at everyone, but I'm sure sometimes when I nod back it's not noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Why do so many get wound up about nods & waves?

If some ignorant mofo doesn't bother waving/nodding back, fook it, no need to get the tighty whiteys all bunched up

It's not the end of the world, get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Ok, nobody's mentioned it yet, I'll take one for the team :) Cyclists! specially when they ride in groups, and two abreast, slowing everything down. Its not that I cant overtake the fúckers, its the fact that they cause a tail back of cars and coaches,which can prove difficult to overtake. I'm talking the Sally Gap type of area. Oh and their scowly faces, not one of them looks like they're enjoying themselves.

Ok, nobody's mentioned it yet, I'll take one for the team :) Cyclists! specially when they ride in groups, and two abreast, slowing everything down. Its not that I cant overtake the fúckers, its the fact that they cause a tail back of cars and coaches,which can prove difficult to overtake. I'm talking the Sally Gap type of area. Oh and their scowly faces, not one of them looks like they're enjoying themselves.

No probs with 2 abreast its 3 or 4 that pisses me off.......:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I've recently got a new-found tollerance for cyclists, but as Cienciano says, even when I'm cycling they're annoying!

Last week I was in the car going around twisty bends and come across a single cyclist.. I used my new relaxed overtaking manor of sitting a good bit back and waiting for a good spot to overtake him - the bast@rd stopped peddling and I'm convinced he done it on purpose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,378 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cienciano wrote: »
    Even when I cycle I think other cyclists are the most annoying road users.

They're also the most annoying pavement users...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

and they don't even pay road tax joe

• Advertisement

What I find hilarious is people who dont seem to understand how to actually ride a bike - like the concept of gears and brakes. I often see people riding along a flat road in what seems to be 1st gear, slogging along with their legs going about 200rpm at about 5mph. Or then trying to go up a hill in top gear struggling to get the thing to move at all. A good few also seem to use their feet to brake. The mind boggles.

Advertisement