Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What grinds your gears?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

I hate cars, taxis, cops, half cooked rashers , soft boiled eggs, priests, Dunlop tires, and my panhead chop cos it refused to start.
    Most of the above distaste came from being a courier in Dublin in the early 90's for a year, except for my chopper cos that's a love hate thing and yes the bastard thing does grind it's gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I hate cars, taxis, cops, half cooked rashers , soft boiled eggs, priests, Dunlop tires, and my panhead chop cos it refused to start.
    Most of the above distaste came from being a courier in Dublin in the early 90's for a year, except for my chopper cos that's a love hate thing and yes the bastard thing does grind it's gear.

You may have taken a wrong road in life, and its never to late to change but soft boiled eggs squashed between two slices of buttered fresh Brennans bread set you up for the day.
    And sweet sugary tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

I feel your pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I'm wondering how being a courier made his dislike priests.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 choppermann

goodlad wrote: »
    I'm wondering how being a courier made his dislike priests.

something to do with being in an orphanage in dublin for 10 yrs before I legged it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

something to do with being in an orphanage in dublin for 10 yrs before I legged it.

Might you consider a soft boiled egg sambo? Life is never too bad when you make them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

#1 for me it is definitely people stopping in front of me at traffic lights then snailing it. Others see that I'm female and I swear they turn it into a race. God forbid I might be quicker than them on the way home from work! Never had another girl put it up to me 😊

#2 People revving when stopped at traffic. Attention seekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Drivers/riders/peds who just don't look - nothing p1sses me off more than some idiot pulling straight out.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,379 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

#2 People revving when stopped at traffic. Attention seekers.

Supposedly that all started back in the 50s with BSA Gold Stars, no idle jet in the carbs so you had to keep blipping it when stopped. It would have been a very desirable bike at the time so the habit caught on among wannabes...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

One to add from today - people who somehow drop your bike and then pick it up again while it's safely parked in a private car park space, then walk away and say nothing. I bet if they'd reversed into my car they'd have found me or left a note.

No real damage (airblade visor is fooked, left mirror needed re-tightening and indicator bent out of shape) but my own gears very thoroughly ground today...let's see if security have some CCTV in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,379 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sure it's only a bike :mad:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Idiot riders who take offence to being passed by a 30 year old bike and feel the need to blast by me.............:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Sure it's only a bike :mad:

Like a red rag to a bull that is !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Idiot riders who take offence to being passed by a 30 year old bike and feel the need to blast by me.............:rolleyes:

I spent X amount of money on it so I'm fast me :rolleyes:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Look at the assumptions that the year of the bike is an issue.
    Maybe its more personal and they just don't like the look of the rider :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Zascar wrote: »
    What I find hilarious is people who dont seem to understand how to actually ride a bike - like the concept of gears and brakes. I often see people riding along a flat road in what seems to be 1st gear, slogging along with their legs going about 200rpm at about 5mph. Or then trying to go up a hill in top gear struggling to get the thing to move at all. A good few also seem to use their feet to brake. The mind boggles.

Wrong forum, dude!

goodlad wrote: »
    Look at the assumptions that the year of the bike is an issue.
    Maybe its more personal and they just don't like the look of the rider :P

Nah..its deffo a pride thing, BMW riders i suppose.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I've a fresh one! Lads/Ladies that ride around in full gear with a pillion on the back in a pair of leggings and runners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Bike shops in Ireland.

Service is generally good but the price of stuff is mental compared to what you can get it for online.

And not being able to officially use the bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Fog lights... and the rediculas drivers leaving them on for no reason... i mean serious if you can see the car in front... you probably dont need them.

and lazy designers of rip off action cams just blantantly copying gopro.. i would be more inclined to buy them if they had come up with their own design.
    (im not a gopro fanboy but lazyness just annoys me sometimes... when i could bothered... :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    Fog lights... and the rediculas drivers leaving them on for no reason... i mean serious if you can see the car in front... you probably dont need them.

Gardaí missing a golden opportunity to cash in on this one. UK cops are **** hot on the misuse of fog lights, instant points and fine for improper use. An acquaintance of mine in the UK traffic loves the day after a foggy one because he indulges in his hatred of stupid car drivers that don't know how to use their lights properly and makes a point of stopping anyone that has left them on.
    Same applies to front fogs "driving lights" as we call them here which can be just as dangerous, especially to us visored ones as they cause dazzle and are also covered by the improper use law.

Rule 114: You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
    use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
    Law RVLR reg 27

Rule 226: You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Rule 236: You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
    Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Kerching.........€€€€€€€€€€€€€.

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    Fog lights... and the rediculas drivers )

:eek:.....seriorious missspellin of the werd ther pal........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

:eek:.....seriorious missspellin of the werd ther pal........:P

You got me there! :D

third-party-facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'll chip in with mine....

I'm fairly easy going in general but one thing that really grinds my clutch plates is people messing with my bike. Today for example I turned by back for literally 10 seconds only to turn around and see another biker who had parked up beside me outside a big shop on his knees pulling at my chain !!! :O He was very very lucky I had other things on my mind or he'd be in hospital and I made sure he knew it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What grinds my gears lol
    He was very very lucky I had other things on my mind or he'd be in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Dodgy fúckers on Done Deal grind my gears.

Advertisement