Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone actually swapped an Ontario driving license for an Irish one?

Options
  • 27-08-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

According to the original announcement on 9 July (dttas.ie) the procedure was supposed to have been implemented "within the next fortnight".

Of course, this being government, I expect things to take longer than estimated. But it's been a month and a half now, and I don't see any movement other than a vague announcement on NDLS, in the "holders of foreign licenses" section.

I've emailed NDLS (no response) so maybe I should ring them. But I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has actually managed to swap their Ontario license for an Irish one.

A disappointment for me is that (according to NDLS) my full Ontario license will only qualify for an automatic-restricted Irish license. Does anyone know what it will take to "upgrade" this to a full license that lets me drive any kind of transmission? I can already drive a manual shift, but in Ontario there is no differentiation on the license itself. There, a "full license" is a full license and you can drive any kind of car.

I understand I'll probably have to take a driving test, but will I have to first sit the written test, take 12 lessons, wait 6 months, have N-plates for two years, etc., like a 17-year-old?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I imagine if you don't have a previous Irish license and try and convert an Ontario one back to Irish, this is what they mean by auto only. It's the same with the UK guys

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

The exchange agreement was signed with Ontario but NDLS are waiting for approval from RSA before accepting them. Croatia who recently joined the EU only had their licences accepted for exchange from this summer. You might be best emailing RSA directly as they are overseeing the new changes- they reply to an email within a day or two: licensingqueries@rsa.ie or ring them on 1890 406040
    gendrol75 wrote: »
    According to the original announcement on 9 July (dttas.ie) the procedure was supposed to have been implemented "within the next fortnight".

Of course, this being government, I expect things to take longer than estimated. But it's been a month and a half now, and I don't see any movement other than a vague announcement on NDLS, in the "holders of foreign licenses" section.

I've emailed NDLS (no response) so maybe I should ring them. But I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has actually managed to swap their Ontario license for an Irish one.

A disappointment for me is that (according to NDLS) my full Ontario license will only qualify for an automatic-restricted Irish license. Does anyone know what it will take to "upgrade" this to a full license that lets me drive any kind of transmission? I can already drive a manual shift, but in Ontario there is no differentiation on the license itself. There, a "full license" is a full license and you can drive any kind of car.

I understand I'll probably have to take a driving test, but will I have to first sit the written test, take 12 lessons, wait 6 months, have N-plates for two years, etc., like a 17-year-old?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gendrol75

To answer my own question, I emailed both RSA and NDLS with my query. RSA got back to me within a day or two; NDLS took a couple of weeks. Their responses were not, er, quite the same. I hope the more detailed RSA response is also the more accurate one. ;)

Here's what RSA had to say:

"All the necessary processes have not been put in place yet, please contact us again in early October hopefully we will have an update then for you and you will be able to exchange your licence.

Once your automatic-restricted Irish Licence has been issued you can apply for a learner permit in the B category. When you feel you are ready you can apply for your driving test in a manual vehicle. When you pass your test you can apply to get the restriction lifted on your full licence.

You will not need to do a theory test or the EDT, and you do not have to wait 6 months before applying for a test once your learner permit is issued."

And here is the very helpful and COMPLETELY OPPOSITE response from NDLS:

"Thank you for your query. You will be treated as a first time applicant if you have an automatic licence only and wish to apply for a manual licence.

If you have any queries in relation to this communication, please contact our Customer Services Team on +353 (0) 761 087 880 and quote your case reference number, or visit the National Driver Licence Service website ..."

Needless to say the RSA response is bang on. Abtran (who will shortly be running the Irish Water helpline) also run the NDLS helpline. The staff are paid minimum wage and as you might expect the service is dire, hence the ridiculous response you received.
    To answer my own question, I emailed both RSA and NDLS with my query. RSA got back to me within a day or two; NDLS took a couple of weeks. Their responses were not, er, quite the same. I hope the more detailed RSA response is also the more accurate one. ;)

Here's what RSA had to say:

"All the necessary processes have not been put in place yet, please contact us again in early October hopefully we will have an update then for you and you will be able to exchange your licence.

Once your automatic-restricted Irish Licence has been issued you can apply for a learner permit in the B category. When you feel you are ready you can apply for your driving test in a manual vehicle. When you pass your test you can apply to get the restriction lifted on your full licence.

You will not need to do a theory test or the EDT, and you do not have to wait 6 months before applying for a test once your learner permit is issued."

And here is the very helpful and COMPLETELY OPPOSITE response from NDLS:

"Thank you for your query. You will be treated as a first time applicant if you have an automatic licence only and wish to apply for a manual licence.

If you have any queries in relation to this communication, please contact our Customer Services Team on +353 (0) 761 087 880 and quote your case reference number, or visit the National Driver Licence Service website ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

I'm also looking into this, it looks like things are shaping up alright. The Canadian driving licence site has some info about the driving licence exchange agreements with various countries and Ireland is listed as one:

http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Out-of-Country-Drivers.aspx

There is another page with the specific documentation required for each country, but it doesn't look like Ireland has been added there yet. However I reckon it'll follow the same pattern as the other EU countries.

http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx

I'll be trying my hand at getting an Ontario licence in the next day or two, only thing is I don't have a permanent address here yet, so might need to wait until I do :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You'll need to wait, your license has your address printed on it

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

COYVB wrote: »
    You'll need to wait, your license has your address printed on it

Okay, but do I get it there and then or does it get sent out? I would mind if my driving licence had a temporary address on it.

Against wrote: »
    Okay, but do I get it there and then or does it get sent out? I would mind if my driving licence had a temporary address on it.
    It's sent out. Takes about ten days

To follow up on my own OP, I am still waiting on "the process" to be put in place for swaps (of an Ontario license for an Irish one).

Here's the latest from RSA, about a week ago:
    Regulations are currently being drafted by the minister, a notice will appear on our NDLS website once complete.

This, in contrast to the minister's original announcement, on July 9:
    The agreement will now be .... given effect via regulations to be brought in within the next fortnight.

Longest "fortnight" of my life ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kellstrom

Hi, I'm living in Edmonton, Alberta and obviously for the winter, I'm gonna need a car! I have a full N. Ireland license but I've only driven for 3 months and that was 7 years ago, as well as being covered under my Dad's policy. Does anyone know if its likely that I'll even get insured? Would be a real kick in the balls after just gatherhering all docs required to exchange my NI license to an Alberta one!

• Advertisement

The NDLS are now accepting Ontario licences in exchange for Irish full licences (with code 78 - automatic only). Drivers can apply for a learner permit to sit test in manual transmission if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 murdock1970

The exchange program is supposed to be in place now. I heard a rumour that the Service Ontario office at 777 Bay in Toronto is now doing the exchange but I cannot find any confirmation on their website. Haven't heard of anyone who has done it yet though. I am waiting for my Letter of Entitlement from the NDLS before I check it out further which wil take a few weeks I guess.
    To follow up on my own OP, I am still waiting on "the process" to be put in place for swaps (of an Ontario license for an Irish one).

Here's the latest from RSA, about a week ago:

This, in contrast to the minister's original announcement, on July 9:

Longest "fortnight" of my life ...

Vologda69 wrote: »
    The NDLS are now accepting Ontario licences in exchange for Irish full licences (with code 78 - automatic only). Drivers can apply for a learner permit to sit test in manual transmission if they so wish.

Thanks!

Do you have a link with more info? I don't see any updates on the NDLS or RSA websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Went to my local driving test centre place today! Need to bring my Passport, history of driving in Ireland from the NDLS and for 80 dollars get my Ontario licence! Oh and I have to hand in my Irish one too of course. The guy was Saying that Irish people have been coming in for months looking to exchange their licences!

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    Went to my local driving test centre place today! Need to bring my Passport, history of driving in Ireland from the NDLS and for 80 dollars get my Ontario licence! Oh and I have to hand in my Irish one too of course. The guy was Saying that Irish people have been coming in for months looking to exchange their licences!

If you do the test you can keep your Irish one, might be handier if you plan on vising home

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

COYVB wrote: »
    If you do the test you can keep your Irish one, might be handier if you plan on vising home

I can drive on the ontario one if I'm visiting home and if I move back I can swap for an irish one again! I don't want to do a driving test lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cailin1234

NDLS are definitely exchanging Ontario licences. You would only get an automatic licence here. Plus the Ontario licences don't have category entitlement start dates on them so you need a Letter of Entitlement from Ontario to show the start date of the entitlement unless you had an Irish licence which hasn't expired more than 10 years. In which case the start date of the old Irish licence can be used. You can apply for a learner permit for a manual but you don't have to wait 6 months or do the 12 lessons or or use N plates.

Cailin1234 wrote: »
    NDLS are definitely exchanging Ontario licences. You would only get an automatic licence here. Plus the Ontario licences don't have category entitlement start dates on them so you need a Letter of Entitlement from Ontario to show the start date of the entitlement unless you had an Irish licence which hasn't expired more than 10 years. In which case the start date of the old Irish licence can be used. You can apply for a learner permit for a manual but you don't have to wait 6 months or do the 12 lessons or or use N plates.

I exchanged my Ontario license last week at NDLS. They say it will take a few weeks to process because they have to send my old license back to Canada.

I didn't need any Letter of Entitlement. My Ontario license had an "issued" date, which indicates the age of this particular license -- NOT the date I first began driving, 20+ years ago. I've never held an Irish (or any other) license before.

Once my new license arrives I'll be applying for a learner's permit so that I can take the test and get an unrestricted license ASAP. In the mean time, I'll have fun driving tractors (??) which are somehow deemed less dangerous than manual transmissions in this country. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 damo01

I exchanged my Ontario license last week at NDLS. They say it will take a few weeks to process because they have to send my old license back to Canada.

I didn't need any Letter of Entitlement. My Ontario license had an "issued" date, which indicates the age of this particular license -- NOT the date I first began driving, 20+ years ago. I've never held an Irish (or any other) license before.

Once my new license arrives I'll be applying for a learner's permit so that I can take the test and get an unrestricted license ASAP. In the mean time, I'll have fun driving tractors (??) which are somehow deemed less dangerous than manual transmissions in this country. :D

I know this thread is a few years old but how did you (or anyone else) get on exchanging your Ontario licence to Irish? My wife is about to do the same and has been told that the process can take up to 12 weeks during which time she will be without a licence. Anyone else have experience of this? Got an Ontario licence myself a few years back and wasn't off the road for any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

How is the process these days for exchanging Irish -> Ontario?

I thought it would be free seems it's an "exchange"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

jme2010 wrote: »
    How is the process these days for exchanging Irish -> Ontario?

I thought it would be free seems it's an "exchange"

It is not free. Costs $90 to change to Ontario license.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

damo01 wrote: »
    I know this thread is a few years old but how did you (or anyone else) get on exchanging your Ontario licence to Irish? My wife is about to do the same and has been told that the process can take up to 12 weeks during which time she will be without a licence. Anyone else have experience of this? Got an Ontario licence myself a few years back and wasn't off the road for any time.
    Would your wife's original Irish license still be in date?

Mine was, so when I went to exchange it, I got my Irish license with the expiry date that of the one I gave to ServiceOntario. It took about a month to receive it back, after I went into the NDLS centre, and had my photo taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 damo01

the_syco wrote: »
    Would your wife's original Irish license still be in date?

Mine was, so when I went to exchange it, I got my Irish license with the expiry date that of the one I gave to ServiceOntario. It took about a month to receive it back, after I went into the NDLS centre, and had my photo taken.

Thanks for the reply. No She is from Ontario, so this will be her first Irish licence. As it stands according to the NDLC call center she will only be able to drive an automatic after the change over(even though she has a full Ontario licence that doesn't distinguish) and will supposedly be without a licence temporary or otherwise for up to 12 weeks.

That said a German friend of ours has said that when she exchanged hers she got a temporary licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I gave my ON license in, I got a piece of paper saying that I had handed my ON license in. It'd really depend on the Garda if they accepted it. But unless it had a driver cert number, it may not be accepted.

Of the 52,000 cars on Donedeal in Ireland, 9,000 are automatics, 2,000 of which are below €4,000 So she could get an auto.

Does her letter say that she has been tested with a gear stick? Seems it's close to impossible to get one (from reading UK forums for ON people trying to get a UK manual license), but if she has it, she may be able to get a manual here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hempel

Anybody know if you do the artic liecene in Canada can it be changed back to a Irish 1

Advertisement