Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Modules Year 2

• 27-08-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi guys! Just wondering if there are any past history students around, or current students who have done history? Looking for ideas with regard to picking modules for second year? Any tips or ideas of what the modules are like would be greatly appreciated :) thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

What modules are you looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The Revisionist History of WW2 has been recommended on here in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭aoife524

I'm actually really confused on how many I have to pick on looking again.. One module each semester is compulsory, but what is the story with the rest?

I'm just quite confused

If you're doing double honours (I.e. Arts with two subjects) you'll be doing a 7.5 credit core module and then an elective or two. Electives are normally 7.5 credits as well but can also be 5 or 2.5 credits. You need your electives to add up to 7.5 because you will need 15 credits per semester and 30 credits overall for history.

(That is presuming they haven't changed the electives system)

There is a compulsory module (5 credits) and reading module 2a (2.5 credits) for semester one.. However there are no more 2.5 credit modules.. can it balance out that in semester one you do 17.5 credits and semester 2 12.5?

• Advertisement

aoife524 wrote: »
    There is a compulsory module (5 credits) and reading module 2a (2.5 credits) for semester one.. However there are no more 2.5 credit modules.. can it balance out that in semester one you do 17.5 credits and semester 2 12.5?

Is the reading module also compulsory? Most electives would be 7.5 credits so would even out the two semesters but you can mix up elective credits unevenly if you wish.

It looks they have changed the system so somewhat since I was in second year.

All are 5 apart from the reading modules which are 2.5 :) they're not actually compulsory but consist of a 2500 word essay and no lecture hours, so assigned readings. . It might be worth considering :).. In any case my the elective group (semester 1) I have to pick one from is gender and history, Spain and Portugal in 20th century and American history (18th c to civil war)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

All are 5 apart from the reading modules which are 2.5 :) they're not actually compulsory but consist of a 2500 word essay and no lecture hours, so assigned readings. . It might be worth considering :).. In any case my the elective group (semester 1) I have to pick one from is gender and history, Spain and Portugal in 20th century and American history (18th c to civil war)

Gender was ok, tedious at times and consisted of two lectures on a Friday when I did it (two years ago). I found it was marked very easily. One extended essay, a 1000 word review of an article and a presentation on your approach to the essay made up the assessment.The lecturer is very nice too, which is a plus

Gender was ok, tedious at times and consisted of two lectures on a Friday when I did it (two years ago). I found it was marked very easily. One extended essay, a 1000 word review of an article and a presentation on your approach to the essay made up the assessment.The lecturer is very nice too, which is a plus

The assessment part says 100% written exam. I take it that it has changed since then? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

The assessment part says 100% written exam. I take it that it has changed since then? :)

Looks like it! Just disregard what I said so :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input though :P and if the content isn't too difficult I might take that module :P

Advertisement