Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any1 getting out weekend and targeting wot???

Options
  • 27-08-2014 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Weres every1 going to be fishing weekend and for what species... Is it still to early for pike on lakes??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I avoid weekends as they are too busy at any venues around here. Being retired I can fish any day I feel like it and I never plan ahead. It could be the river for trout today, the sea shore for anything on Thursday. I decide when I get up in the morning depending on water levels tides conditions etc.

It's not an ideal time for pike but they are being caught at the moment. Great river fishing at the moment on the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭KAI.Fundraiser

I avoid weekends as they are too busy at any venues around here. Being retired I can fish any day I feel like it and I never plan ahead. It could be the river for trout today, the sea shore for anything on Thursday. I decide when I get up in the morning depending on water levels tides conditions etc.

It's not an ideal time for pike but they are being caught at the moment. Great river fishing at the moment on the fly.

Now your just trying to make us all jealous dude lol...

As for myself, Iv a full action packed weekend. Im heading to the All Irelnad junour championships with 10 youths from our club on saturday morning..

Then Sunday im packing the course and sea gear into the car for a few hours on Oaklands fisherys in Newross and then a quick spin over to Waterford for a bit of night sea fishing.. Im gona be in some pain on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Down to the Liffey tonight then fishing the DTAA Ryder Cup on Sunday at Bohernabreena, first time fishing a comp in about ten years!

On that note, anyone any idea what flies might serve best for midday on Bohernabreena? ðŸ˜

For the psst two weeks I have only caught brown trout on nymph on any waters. PTN and a green nymph I can't recall the name of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Off to the Liffey the minute work is over which is in 10 mins. Hopefully something moving on the surface. :)

For the psst two weeks I have only caught brown trout on nymph on any waters. PTN and a green nymph I can't recall the name of!

Cheers, I'm one of those mildly stuck in his ways dry fly anglers but this time of year I tend to come around a bit..... Or just wait for the sedge ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Anybody try for stone bass yet ?

Snowc wrote: »
    Anybody try for stone bass yet ?

They are a very deep water fish and rare enough in Irish waters - although one was caught while shark fishing off Clare this week. They are not really a fish you would target but more come across from time to time while deep water fishing for other species.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Andypdublin24

As for myself, Iv a full action packed weekend. Im heading to the All Irelnad junour championships with 10 youths from our club on saturday morning..

Then Sunday im packing the course and sea gear into the car for a few hours on Oaklands fisherys in Newross and then a quick spin over to Waterford for a bit of night sea fishing.. Im gona be in some pain on monday.

What u fishing for on oaklands.. Weres the junior championships on pal

• Advertisement

I've no rivers with pike close.. Weres u pb for a pike

Oaklands is a carp fisher, but has all kinds of fish. And the All Ireland is in ballinamore leitrim, 2 hours drive...

niallon wrote: »
    Down to the Liffey tonight then fishing the DTAA Ryder Cup on Sunday at Bohernabreena, first time fishing a comp in about ten years!

On that note, anyone any idea what flies might serve best for midday on Bohernabreena? ðŸ˜
    Anything on the liffey

Oaklands is a carp fisher, but has all kinds of fish. And the All Ireland is in ballinamore leitrim, 2 hours drive...

Good weekend for u.. Are ya into the carp ye I've never tried herd very hard to catch

Bromium wrote: »
    Off to the Liffey the minute work is over which is in 10 mins. Hopefully something moving on the surface. :)

Anyjoy

Anything on the liffey

Two takes once I switched to the Devaux, no rise until about half eight and only then for half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Bromium

Anyjoy

Downstream wind at Caragh was horrendous from 5 so only hung on until 7. 4 trout best to about half a pound all taken on nymphs was the best I could muster.

Bromium wrote: »
    Downstream wind at Caragh was horrendous from 5 so only hung on until 7. 4 trout best to about half a pound all taken on nymphs was the best I could muster.

+1 on that, every remotely successful cast was some victory last night, wind was right in my face too of course

Was going to start a new thread for this but said I wouldn't bother. As I mentioned above, I fished Bohernabreena Reservoir for the first time in my life Sunday just gone. Why in God's name do Dodder and Dublin Trout still bother to cover these lakes in their territory? Hearing it's managed by Irish Water was more than I needed to hear but these lakes are damn near unfishable. The lower lake is only fishable from the dam, and the upper lake has about three spots to fish from. Easily fishable if you had a spinning rod, but seeing as it's fly only, a few cleared areas for fly fishing from wouldn't hurt. I'm probably angrier than I should be because I lost about 40ft of nylon, 5 flies and snapped my fly rod in the course of seven hours fishing there, all due to the absolute just jungle wilderness that constitutes the shore there.

Couple that with the constant talk of anti social behaviour issues and I really don't see the point in these lakes as fisheries. Though I would like to point out I'm aware that none of this is the fault or controllable by either angling associations and a good day fishing was had all the same, I just think surely there's something better the money could go to rather than rights to fish a practically unfishable water.

Advertisement