Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder alaram for an eldery person

Options
  • 27-08-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭

Hi,

An elderly relative has been burgled twice in recent years. Hence she now has nothing of value in the property.

However, she does not feel secure in the property and would like something to make her aware of someone trying to break in. She doesn't want an alaram to irritate the neighbours or text/contact police/call-centre/relations.

I'm kinf of at a loss as to what to setup for her. We've gone around the property and beefed up the locks etc, but was wondering how she could be made aware of someone trying to gain entry.

Any suggestions?

The only other thing we could do to the property is to replace the normal 5 point PVC door lock with a more secure one, but she was told by the installer that the locks did not have the weak point which some had.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Locks are only one thing, what about the glass in the windows and doors?

With respect if she does not want an alarm then she had better invest in some roller shutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

You could get the anti shatter window film. When the glass is cracked it holds together.

get a ge simon panel and some external motion detectors off ebay . When tripped the panel speaks " garden motion beep beep "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How does anti-shatter work in the event of a fire etc and you need quick entry/exit and the door is non operable?

Are motion detectors not prone to false positives due to animals, blowing debris etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

How does anti-shatter work in the event of a fire etc and you need quick entry/exit and the door is non operable?

Are motion detectors not prone to false positives due to animals, blowing debris etc?

Maybe cctv is more suited ..
    the glass will break but its held together with the film.. have a look on youtube

these motion sensors are designed for outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lyncher2014

There's alarm contacts that you can get, they're independent to themselves with a magnet. They have a choice of chime or a buzzar. Not sure if there is shock versions of them available though...

I'd get a decoy or dummy box out the front with a working strobe light on it.

Or have a real alarm installed but only use the internal siren. She shouldn't feel bad though with the neighbors if the alarm does go off. She has much a right to have an alarm for security as does the neighbors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How much would one of these cost to set up - I want to get in a professional to do the install as I don't feel comfortable putting a system together for her. I'd put one in for myself, but I'm not near her to maintain/install etc.

Could I sneak into the spec a panic button for her if she falls ill or requires assistance? Or is this on a much higher budget?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

How much would one of these cost to set up - I want to get in a professional to do the install as I don't feel comfortable putting a system together for her. I'd put one in for myself, but I'm not near her to maintain/install etc.

Could I sneak into the spec a panic button for her if she falls ill or requires assistance? Or is this on a much higher budget?

Thanks.

Price wise for an alarm she would need to contact local installers and get them to price for the system accordingly.
    Here is a link to the PSA website to find local installers.

Advertisement