Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Requirement - Please help !

Options
  • 27-08-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Okay so I am in Quinn school of business. They have said that my OS req is Windows 7 or Windows 8. I own a Macbook Pro (Retina Display)
    Any problems ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You might run into software compatibility problems. I know on my course we used some programs that wouldn't run on a Mac, people had to emulate Windows or something like that to get them working. Though obviously I don't know exactly what software you'll be using in your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I was Mac my entire time in UCD in Engineering. Never had an issue. Most of the major packages are on both platform (MS Office, MATLAB, R etc) and you can always use Citrix and UCD Connect. If you are really stuck, you can run VirtualBox and a copy of Windows (Or dual boot which I don't recommend). Both have plenty of tutorials online and is very easy to do.

You don't need a Windows based laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 aviral10000

ironclaw wrote: »
    I was Mac my entire time in UCD in Engineering. Never had an issue. Most of the major packages are on both platform (MS Office, MATLAB, R etc) and you can always use Citrix and UCD Connect. If you are really stuck, you can run VirtualBox and a copy of Windows (Or dual boot which I don't recommend). Both have plenty of tutorials online and is very easy to do.

You don't need a Windows based laptop.

See basically I was going tomorrow to buy a Mac. So you are suggesting that I should go for A windows one ? I hate its interface

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

See basically I was going tomorrow to buy a Mac. So you are suggesting that I should go for A windows one ? I hate its interface

I just finished in Quinn and you'll be fine with a mac. Buy microsoft office for mac and that'll be grand.

I just finished in Quinn and you'll be fine with a mac. Buy microsoft office for mac and that'll be grand.

So you are suggesting that on top of Mac , I should spend like 200 dollars on MS office ? Isn't it better that I go and buy a Dell instead ?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure it was fairly clear from myself and others than you don't need a Windows based machine. A Mac is fine.
    So you are suggesting that on top of Mac , I should spend like 200 dollars on MS office ? Isn't it better that I go and buy a Dell instead ?

You need MS Office anyway as most documents sent and received in the world are doc / docx / ppt, which while the likes of OpenOffice etc can open, its better to use Office in my opinion. Anyway, by buying a Mac you will probably qualify for a discount and I'm pretty sure the student version is less than 50 euro or so. A Mac will also outlast any Dell or similar system for college. They are solid, well built machines and the OS is top notch. Far better money spent.

I'm pretty sure it was fairly clear from myself and others than you don't need a Windows based machine. A Mac is fine.

You need MS Office anyway as most documents sent and received in the world are doc / docx / ppt, which while the likes of OpenOffice etc can open, its better to use Office in my opinion. Anyway, by buying a Mac you will probably qualify for a discount and I'm pretty sure the student version is less than 50 euro or so. A Mac will also outlast any Dell or similar system for college. They are solid, well built machines and the OS is top notch. Far better money spent.

Bro after the student discount it is costing me around 990 euros. The retina display one.

Bro after the student discount it is costing me around 990 euros. The retina display one.

Then buy a Dell or other brand. You don't buy a MacBook and complain about the price :confused:

Then buy a Dell or other brand. You don't buy a MacBook and complain about the price :confused:

Made up my mind. Macbook it is. Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

€140 for Office Home & Student for Mac, or €79 for a 4 year sub to Office 365, which is good for 2 machines, Mac or PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Once you're a registered UCD student you can buy from this crowd:

http://www.software4students.ie/

You'll get a much better price than buying from PC World or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Going back to do a two year part time thing at Smurfit, and was thinking Chromebook..

Have a work laptop with windows and office if really needed, but in terms of notes and day to day stuff it should be fine [assuming it connects to network etc, as I know some folks with "non-windows" laptops had issues connecting in TCD last year

Going back to do a two year part time thing at Smurfit, and was thinking Chromebook..

Have a work laptop with windows and office if really needed, but in terms of notes and day to day stuff it should be fine [assuming it connects to network etc, as I know some folks with "non-windows" laptops had issues connecting in TCD last year

UCD network is fairly standard to connect to but I'd imagine you'd have difficulty getting on the the eduroam network. I wouldn't buy a Chromebook over a MacBook or similar spec Windows machine however for college work as not everywhere has reliable online access.

Advertisement