Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing Rental Agreement

Options
  • 27-08-2014 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Should probably know all this but brain is fried right now. Can someone tell me, is there a necessity for 2 Rental Agreements with original handwritten signatures on both Landlord's and Tenant's version of it, or, is 1 Original kept by the Landlord and same photocopied with copied signatures kept by the Tenant the norm or what's the difference?! I can't think straight at the minute.

Also what is the difference between a Rental Agreement and a Lease or are they the same thing just 2 names for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It's best practice in any contract situation to have an original document for each party -this original should have an original of all signatures, so if there is a landlord & one tenant, each party should execute two complete documents.

There is no difference between a lease and a rental agreement - it's just a naming convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make sure all copies are actually the same.

The problem with only one copy is that the agent / landlord is invariably returning a photocopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Victor wrote: »
    Make sure all copies are actually the same.

The problem with only one copy is that the agent / landlord is invariably returning a photocopy.

To avoid any possibility of "cuteness" from the agencies I've rented from in the past I initial each page & tell the agent I won't sign until they do the same.

I also demand that the 2 leases - my copy & their copy - are put on the table in front of me. I've actually found differences with one agency I used (innocent mistake, 2 revisions of the same doc printed, each printed by a different person).

We also got into the habit of taking photos of the houses we view, making sure to get the agent in the shot at the start & end of the sequence of photos. Hard to argue that these photos don't represent the state of the house when the agent is in them. I email them to the agent then as a second proof of when they are taken.

Advertisement