Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I claim tax back if renting house and have apartment rented?

Options
  • 27-08-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

If I have apartment rented out say 100 week and am paying rent for a house say 100 week do I have to pay tax on apartment rent that I get
    Can I off set it against the rent I am paying as a cost ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

bob5666 wrote: »
    If I have apartment rented out say 100 week and am paying rent for a house say 100 week do I have to pay tax on apartment rent that I get

I looked into this before and I'm pretty sure the answer was no, you have to pay the tax on your rental income regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Please engage the services of a professional if you are unsure of your tax obligations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Yes, you have to pay income tax, PRSI and USC on your rental income, at the marginal rate.

No, you cannot claim the rent you pay on another property as an expense, it is irrelevant.

The two are unconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Only expenses against the property you are renting out can be claimed as tax relief, such as maintenance, estate agent fees etc....go on to revenue.ie and you'll get a full list. As already stated, renting another property is deemed irrelevent and not applicable.

Advertisement