Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling with new job

Options
  • 27-08-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job a couple of months ago and I'm really struggling with it. It involves lots of long meetings that I'm struggling to keep concentrating in and as i result I am adding nothing to the discussions, which I'm finding quite embarressing. I also feel quite useless and its affecting my confidence. I just don't feel like I have anything to say.

My last job was a very practical job, where I organised a team and lots of tasks. I enjoyed being on the go and being so busy all day. This job involves me sitting in meetings thinking about processes and analysing them and I'm finding out that Im actually not very good at that. I cant stand bull**** and to me this is what a lot of the meetings are.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I can better adapt? Im in this new job 2 months now but I'm longing for my old job again. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to take this job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Preparation is the key to good meetings...

If you can get hold of the agenda in advance you'll have a fair idea what will be discussed..

You should see where you fit into things and so it gives you a chance to think about things in advance.

If you can't then the next best thing is speak to the chair before hand and let them know that your willing to help out and ask them to toss you some AR's to get you going..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you talked to your manager about it, and what specifically they want you to be contributing.

Yes, there can be some bullsh*t in these situations - but having someone who can say "If you do X, then in real life people will do Y" can be invaluable. If that practical person isn't there, then the idiots reign, and make stupid decisions that cause untold problems for the rest of the company. If you want to progress in your career, then learning to copy with the b/s and achieve things anyway is a necessary skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

How were you able to organise a team and lots of tasks without being able to think about processes? Did you never try and improve how things were done?

I'd be surprised if there weren't any transferable skills or experience you can apply to this - sometimes it just takes a while for something new to "click", and then you realise that stuff you've done in the past does apply.
    I cant stand bull**** and to me this is what a lot of the meetings are.

Don't talk yourself into thinking it's bull**** just because you don't understand it, or you just won't give yourself a chance to try and get to grips with it.

Advertisement