Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT regulations/an error in judgement

Options
  • 27-08-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Have DIT recently revamped their exam regulations - I've mates like myself that keep their phones on their person, for no other reason then force of habit I guess. Today I was caught with it in my pocket (something I really regret) but 'a cheat' is a serious accusation in my book, yes I broke a regulation but I never nor even contemplated anything for the sort.

I've been called in front of a exam board over something I didn't even do (cheat) - I've been pulled up below due to poor wording, but all I meant was that yes I broke a regulation but didn't cheat. They are two very different things.

I'm in breach of their 'regulation' as it is stated at the start of each exam (I understand that completely) but I honestly didn't think anything of it nor did I even think of my phone as I was completely focused on the exam itself. I'm afraid my exam will be void due to an honest mistake.

Wishful thinking but I hope my immediate compliance and showing of my phones contents mixed with a little common sense will see me through this nightmare. I'm obviously upset my all this as its not in my nature but hey it is what it is at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

It is made quite clear at the start of every exam that you are not allowed your phone on your person during an exam. You said you have been called in front of an exam board for something you didnt do - but you did, you had your phone on you. It is now upto you to prove that it was a mistake, and that you did not gain any benefit from it. How you do that I do not know - Did the college keep your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Garveinho

It is made quite clear at the start of every exam that you are not allowed your phone on your person during an exam. You said you have been called in front of an exam board for something you didnt do - but you did, you had your phone on you. It is now upto you to prove that it was a mistake, and that you did not gain any benefit from it. How you do that I do not know - Did the college keep your phone?

I understand completely, it was my mistake. They searched every inch of my phone (emails, internet history etc.) but there was absolutely nothing on it to do with any exams (notes, cue cards - I don't know what else). I gave it up immediately when asked about it no questions at all. She did acknowledge that I seemed innocent but being called in front of a board would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

I completely agree with the above poster...what a shocking statement.

Of course DIT is clamping down on cheaters - it has to and I hope it will continue to do so strongly. And yes you broke a regulation. Forgetting it was there it not an excuse. You are constantly reminded not to do it.

There needs to be an investigation and that means being called in front of a board.While you may not be guilty of cheating in this instance you still broke a regulation.

I completely agree with the above poster...what a shocking statement.

Of course DIT is clamping down on cheaters - it has to and I hope it will continue to do so strongly. And yes you broke a regulation. Forgetting it was there it not an excuse. You are constantly reminded not to do it.

There needs to be an investigation and that means being called in front of a board.While you may not be guilty of cheating in this instance you still broke a regulation.

Ok so I have poorly worded my opening remark, its been a rough day so please excuse my poor editing skills, I don't mean to insinuate that cheaters shouldn't be punished. I understand that people caught cheating should be punished, but I've never cheated in my life and I wouldn't even know how to if I'm honest.

I understand I broke a regulation, that is truer to what happened today then insinuating that I've cheated. I'll never have my phone on my person in an exam again, thats for sure.

Its an unfortunate situation I have forced upon myself but I just pray that the truth will prevail and a little common sense will see me through.

It is an unfortunate situation but you dont know the outcome yet. From your original post I think that you actually got to sit the exam.

I have invigilated myself in the past and I personally would have removed you from the exam but sometimes that is not possible.

I would advise you to speak to the DITSU...they can provide excellent advice and support in these situations. I would also advise you to actually read the regulations once you have had some time to think.

Regulations are there for the protection of you, your classmates and staff and not to punish anyone but they are never to be dismissed. Common sense isn't relevant.

• Advertisement

It is an unfortunate situation but you dont know the outcome yet. From your original post I think that you actually got to sit the exam.

I have invigilated myself in the past and I personally would have removed you from the exam but sometimes that is not possible.

I would advise you to speak to the DITSU...they can provide excellent advice and support in these situations. I would also advise you to actually read the regulations once you have had some time to think.

Regulations are there for the protection of you, your classmates and staff and not to punish anyone but they are never to be dismissed. Common sense isn't relevant.

Could you elaborate as to when it 'is not possible' please? I've seen people pulled first hand due to serious offences i.e. notes on the table and all that crap.

Look thats fair enough if you feel you would have pulled me out of the exam but she didn't, as I didn't fight her on it and owned up to it being on me immediately. I was let carry on with my paper as I wasn't cheating but DID break a regulation - two separate things in my book.

I spoke to the SU and basically they are understanding of my situation, they empathise and said that DIT have started cracking down on mobiles more and more recently - so thats why I poorly phrased my opening remark.

Anyway they have offered to come with me to my hearing, and apparently my best outcome is either a suspension or a void exam. Either will push my degree into the pass category.

So its either sit the year out or find a different course/university

Removing a student from an exam is a huge disruption to other students. I have been in exams myself when it has been done.

One example for me is when you are invigilating alone with a lot of students. Too much disruption is unfair to the other students but can also be unfair to the student who is alleged of doing something. There also be relevant Health & Safety reasons to take into consideration. As an invigilator that last thing I want is to catch a cheater. I have also never invigilated in DIT but am a student myself.

I understand your frustration but the SU will help you with this so please bring them to your hearing.

Read the regulations aswell....I have pasted the ones that might be relevant.

The Institute’s regulations define a number of different forms of cheating, although any form of cheating is strictly forbidden. These are:
    • submitting other people's work as your own - either with or without their knowledge. This includes copying in examinations; using notes or unauthorised materials in examinations;

and

Students shall not bring into the Examination Hall, nor have in their possession while in such Hall, any computing equipment, including electronic organisers and programmable calculators, mobile phone, recording equipment, radio, books, dictionaries, notes or paper whatsoever, save such answer books and other materials as shall be authorised and/or provided by the Invigilator. The only equipment allowed is that which has been authorised by both the Examinations Office and the Disability Service.

The writing of any text or drawing on the Admission Card is prohibited.

Retention of any unauthorised material shall be taken as constituting evidence of infringement of the regulations, and shall be reported by the Invigilator to the relevant Examinations Secretary.

Removing a student from an exam is a huge disruption to other students. I have been in exams myself when it has been done.

One example for me is when you are invigilating alone with a lot of students. Too much disruption is unfair to the other students but can also be unfair to the student who is alleged of doing something. There also be relevant Health & Safety reasons to take into consideration. As an invigilator that last thing I want is to catch a cheater. I have also never invigilated in DIT but am a student myself.

I understand your frustration but the SU will help you with this so please bring them to your hearing.

Read the regulations aswell....I have pasted the ones that might be relevant.

The Institute’s regulations define a number of different forms of cheating, although any form of cheating is strictly forbidden. These are:
    • submitting other people's work as your own - either with or without their knowledge. This includes copying in examinations; using notes or unauthorised materials in examinations;

and

Students shall not bring into the Examination Hall, nor have in their possession while in such Hall, any computing equipment, including electronic organisers and programmable calculators, mobile phone, recording equipment, radio, books, dictionaries, notes or paper whatsoever, save such answer books and other materials as shall be authorised and/or provided by the Invigilator. The only equipment allowed is that which has been authorised by both the Examinations Office and the Disability Service.

The writing of any text or drawing on the Admission Card is prohibited.

Retention of any unauthorised material shall be taken as constituting evidence of infringement of the regulations, and shall be reported by the Invigilator to the relevant Examinations Secretary.

Yes I'm still ashamed for myself what happened yesterday as I'm a 4th year student, I have those regulations buried into my subconscious.

It was only another student and myself in the exam, so I'd like to think that if I was in serious trouble they would have pulled me immediately.

It was just an honest mistake but I hope the SU can help me out here. Be a shame to be suspended or have my exam void over a mistake to which I gained nor could even have tried to gain with my phone in my pocket. It was just there, I forgot and in an exam haze, made an error in judgement.

As for the first set of regulations, it was an open book exam so if I did actually need to bring in any notes then I was perfectly within my rights to do so. Its just a nightmare of circumstances that will most likely be my undoing sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Did the invigilator read out the regulations from start to finish before the exam? Sometimes they just breeze through it and pick out a few obvious ones. If they failed to mention mobile phones, it would be understandable that it slipped your mind.

Aard wrote: »
    Did the invigilator read out the regulations from start to finish before the exam? Sometimes they just breeze through it and pick out a few obvious ones. If they failed to mention mobile phones, it would be understandable that it slipped your mind.

I honestly don't remember, I'd have imagined that they read them out in full.They'd have had to surely. My own leg to stand on is that I broke a regulation and not a law, I wasn't cheating. I'm just hopefully its seen for what it actually was - an honest mistake clouded my exam haze and stress. Doesn't matter as either way I am pushed into the pass degree category now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I think if you are being totally honest in your version of events then this is rather harsh and they could have used their discretion.

I think if you are being totally honest in your version of events then this is rather harsh and they could have used their discretion.

I'm not trying to be demeaning to anyone especially the invigilator as they were just doing their job but I believe they could have used their discretion a bit better.

I was up front in my error, honest about my mistake,apologatic and gave my phone up immediately. There was no need to argue or come at me like a thief caught with a prized asset.

I wasn't even thinking about cheating (wouldn't know how to even), just thinking to 'ask to go to the toilet, have a lightning quick pee and straight back' - she could have timed me or asked the hall man to follow me into the toilet.

I just didn't like her tone or demeanour of basically 'I caught you red handed', also given the fact she tried to open my phone without my permission.

I have/had no problem opening up my phone fully when asked but I don't like that type of sneakiness.

No harm no foul but then again its in the regulations so who knows what will happen. All I know is I was in the wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Garveinho wrote: »
    I wasn't even thinking about cheating (wouldn't know how to even), just thinking to 'ask to go to the toilet, have a lightning quick pee and straight back' - she could have timed me or asked the hall man to follow me into the toilet.

Can you clarify what that means?
    Did you ask to go out of the hall and it was then that your phone was discovered?
    I'm not clear on what actually happened.

i agree please clarify

I had thought from your original post that you in an exam and your phone was found on you.

Were in an exam and asked to leave????

What do you mean open your phone without permission and the sneakiness of it. Of course an invigilator will take your phone from you in an exam???

spurious wrote: »
    Can you clarify what that means?
    Did you ask to go out of the hall and it was then that your phone was discovered?
    I'm not clear on what actually happened.

It was noticed in my jean pocket as I stood up to go to the toilet, I didn't touch it, motion to it or even attempt to use it in my way. I never touched it.

It was stationary in my pocket, like I've said all through this thread - I forgot about it in my exam haze, I was anxious to start my paper. My phone is always on my person. If I needed any notes etc. I could have just brought them as it was an open book exam. I brought all I needed in the shape of my dictionary - thats all I needed.

i agree please clarify

I had thought from your original post that you in an exam and your phone was found on you.

Were in an exam and asked to leave????

What do you mean open your phone without permission and the sneakiness of it. Of course an invigilator will take your phone from you in an exam???

I'm not questioning her taking my phone - I offered it up and was completely compliant in the process (when it happened and afterwards in showing my phones contents to the exams office), I'm stating the invigilator should have asked me before she tried to invade my phone (laws work both ways). I'd have had no problem in doing so had she asked but she didn't, her mind was made up to try and sneak into my phone.

I asked to go to the toilet (like people do in exams for three hours), if it was such a problem the male invigilator should have followed me in like they normally do in exam situations then this whole thing could have been avoided. My only crime is not following a regulation of putting my phone on the floor - nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Personally I think it's a lame excuse especially for a 4th year.

You've heard those rules being read at least 10 times a year for the last 4 years. You'd be better of claiming insanity to the exam board than ignorance in my opinion because they won't believe the story I've read regardless of whether you handed the phone up for inspection or not.

Totally agree. Change your attitude before you are called in front of the board please

Personally I think it's a lame excuse especially for a 4th year.

You've heard those rules being read at least 10 times a year for the last 4 years. You'd be better of claiming insanity to the exam board than ignorance in my opinion because they won't believe the story I've read regardless of whether you handed the phone up for inspection or not.

Ok yes thats a fair comment - I'll keep it under advisement. Thanks

Totally agree. Change your attitude before you are called in front of the board please

I will just keep to the facts of what happened - and I will of course leave my attitude at the door as it isn't going to help me. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Any update OP?
    Had the hearing yet?

got a written warning. Fair judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

Catching a 3th year student on his way to the toilet in the middle of an exam with his mobile phone says to me definite cheat. You've been in countless exams in both your time in secondary and your time in college, your habit of having your phone in your pocket doesn't stretch into exams (I don't know anyone who would mistakenly do this). My thought process when initially assessing you would go something like this:

1) 3th year exams, these are extremely important to you.
    2) repeat exams too, you're desperate.
    3) you're going to the toilet in the middle of one of these, are you serious? you know you're losing time/marks to take a piss right now, why?
    4) your phone is on you, that's against regulations and combined with the two above points places you at an extremely high probability to cheat.
    5) we searched this guys phone, no exam related material downloaded, that doesn't mean anything, he still has internet access/could text someone in there.

Only you know the truth, but I think the vast majority of people who've read what you have to say would vote against you. Too suspicious, almost to a point where we can claim certainty. I hope you clean up your act for your final year, both preparation wise and abiding by the rules wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 itunesaaron

did you have to attend a hearing or was it solely an email/letter? ..... similar situation happened but im leaving ireland in the summer so would like to know information regarding how long the process took for approval etc. cheers.

Advertisement