Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month old puppy pregnant.... no money

• 28-08-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Basically I have a golden Labrador which is 12 months old. I noticed she is bigger around the belly and her nipples are starting to drop. I'm scared the puppys or her might die.. what if she's too young to have pups. My mother always wanted to sell her but I never agreed. She wants nothing to do with the pups so isaid I would pay for them. I am 16 years old and I get 50 euro a month... what will I do? I will have to pay for a check up to make sure she's healthy and to make sure she is pregnant. What will I do when she has the pups? Does any one know any extremely cheap puppy recipes for when they come that I can make from the food in the kitchen? And anyone know any extremely cheap recipes to feed a pregnant mother Labrador?? Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

You don't feed dogs human food.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hihihihi

I read somewhere that you could

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Snake wrote: »

I do.
    So do a huge amount of dog owners, via raw feeding or fresh feeding.

OP, it may not be too late to get her spayed, and I'm sure your vet would arrange a payment plan if he/she feels that your dog can be spayed.
    That said, by the time they're showing it's generally too late, but my goodness, if it's a possibility, it'll be infinitely cheaper than having a litter of pups to feed, worm, vaccinate and wreck your house! Rehoming them will not be easy either.
    Bring her to your vet and get his/her opinion, and do it asap.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Do a search of this forum you can look into raw meat diets ect if that's what your on about or many of the folks on the forum cook chicken ect for their dogs.

I think you need to do a bit of research however as at first pups won't eat solids , you will also need to worm them and all other things associated. I would also look at spaying your dog after she has had them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

OP you are in a very bad situation.

You really only have two options;
    -Convince your parents to give you assistance (maybe you can do extra chores for more money?) As DBB says, if there is any chance she can be spayed, it will be cheaper in the long run.
    -Seek help from a welfare organisation (which may include surrendering your dog into their care)

You have far more considerations then just food.

Your dog shouldn't be having puppies, but if she is 12 months old, and she hasn't been neutered, or kept away from other dogs, then she probably IS pregnant, by the sounds of it, she'll be having them soon.

There are so many risks with pregnancy that could result in a vet bill running into hundreds of euro.

Have you thought about what will happen if she gets into trouble? Like if one of the puppies gets stuck?

A lot of vet practices will not give you credit in an emergency situation like this.

Some practices WILL let you pay in instalments, if you show them some good faith, but I would think you would need to get your parents to put down a significant deposit in credit which you can then pay small amount of your pocket money against over time. It helps of course if you have been a client of the vet and have had your dog seen there in the past??

I would look out for low cost clinics.

Is your dog vaccinated? If she isn't and she has puppies, they will be at an extremely high risk of contracting illnesses that will cause them to suffer and die. Its just a really bad idea to continue with this pregnancy with no money or backup. It might be too late for her to be vaccinated and pass immunity to her puppies, in which case you really need money in case of emergency. She also needs to be wormed, fed good quality food ... and you can multiply all these costs by a factor of 10, as worse case scenario, she could have 8/10 puppies ....

I would not suggest handing the dog over to welfare lightly, but it may be the only reasonable option you have. Perhaps there is a charity that would help you out in return for some volunteer work on weekends?

You also really need to get your dog spayed at the end of all this, and that's is another cost to worry about.

Looking after puppies is hard work and time consuming, if they are not raised in the proper environment, they will be hard to rehome. I guess you are starting back to school soon as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Snake wrote: »

How did dogs survive for centuries, actually thousands of years, before marketing companies convinced the masses that highly processessed dried and canned food was the best thing to feed your dog? As humans we're told to make sure we get enough fresh food for our nutrition and avoid eating processed food too much, yet most have been convinced that it's the best thing to feed our pets day in day out?

OP, you're in a difficult situation, if you give your location somebody might be able to suggest a subsidised vet or clinic that can help. If it's too late to spay before she has the pups there's a chance that a rescue may help with rehoming them, although the costs for worming, vaccinations etc may still fall on yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Rips wrote: »
    OP you are in a very bad situation.

You really only have two options;
    -Convince your parents to give you assistance (maybe you can do extra chores for more money?) As DBB says, if there is any chance she can be spayed, it will be cheaper in the long run.
    -Seek help from a welfare organisation (which may include surrendering your dog into their care)

You have far more considerations then just food.

Your dog shouldn't be having puppies, but if she is 12 months old, and she hasn't been neutered, or kept away from other dogs, then she probably IS pregnant, by the sounds of it, she'll be having them soon.

There are so many risks with pregnancy that could result in a vet bill running into hundreds of euro.

Have you thought about what will happen if she gets into trouble? Like if one of the puppies gets stuck?

A lot of vet practices will not give you credit in an emergency situation like this.

Some practices WILL let you pay in instalments, if you show them some good faith, but I would think you would need to get your parents to put down a significant deposit in credit which you can then pay small amount of your pocket money against over time. It helps of course if you have been a client of the vet and have had your dog seen there in the past??

I would look out for low cost clinics.

Is your dog vaccinated? If she isn't and she has puppies, they will be at an extremely high risk of contracting illnesses that will cause them to suffer and die. Its just a really bad idea to continue with this pregnancy with no money or backup. It might be too late for her to be vaccinated and pass immunity to her puppies, in which case you really need money in case of emergency. She also needs to be wormed, fed good quality food ... and you can multiply all these costs by a factor of 10, as worse case scenario, she could have 8/10 puppies ....

I would not suggest handing the dog over to welfare lightly, but it may be the only reasonable option you have. Perhaps there is a charity that would help you out in return for some volunteer work on weekends?

You also really need to get your dog spayed at the end of all this, and that's is another cost to worry about.

Looking after puppies is hard work and time consuming, if they are not raised in the proper environment, they will be hard to rehome. I guess you are starting back to school soon as well?
    Agree. In all fairness, surrendering the dog to a welfare organisation is probably your best option. You will be dealing with young pups IF pups and mum survive birth, and if your parents are not helping, that is pretty unmanageable.For the safety of the dog and the puppies, please turn to a welfare organisation.PM me if you don't know where to turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I would neuter her, it's not fair on mother dog nor puppies to continue this. Assuming she's not too far along of course. Most vets will neuter an early pregnant dog.
    I would highly suggest it. Considering she hasn't been neutered already if you had the pups there's a high chance you'll find yourself in the same situation next season as she is obviously accessible to male dogs.

Just neuter her now and save the heartache. She should have been neutered months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Amara22

How did dogs survive for centuries, actually thousands of years, before marketing companies convinced the masses that highly processessed dried and canned food was the best thing to feed your dog? As humans we're told to make sure we get enough fresh food for our nutrition and avoid eating processed food too much, yet most have been convinced that it's the best thing to feed our pets day in day out?

Good quality commercial diets actually are the best thing to feed your dog. Dogs are not wolves anymore- they have evolved as we domesticated them and a raw diet would no longer be nutritionally balanced enough for them. You would spend a fortune and half your day trying to get the correct balance of nutrients, amino acids, vitamins etc that are formulated in a commercial diet. A commercial puppy diet is particularly important as too much protein = bone problems and too little = failure to thrive

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This thread is about a pregnant dog.
    It is NOT a thread to discuss whether one diet is better than another.
    If you'd like to discuss the ins and outs of different diets, either find one of the gazillion threads that already discuss it, or start a new thread.
    But do not drag this thread any further off topic.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 NewStart!

OP try and Google some rescues in your area and phone them and explain your situation, they may be able to help with getting her spayed if shes early into her pregnancy. You could be facing a litter of 8-10 pups here, I would recommend that you try and act fast, I know you might feel like you cannot give up your dog, put in the long term this might be the best solution for the welfare of your dog and her impending pups.
    If you can get to a co-op theirs gain puppy and sapling dog food it comes in a 25kg bag, for around 28 euros. This has vitamins and minerals to help lactating females. Hope this is of some help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Firstly I would like to say well done to you OP. You have a kind heart and at 16 to be so concerned about your dogs welfare is lovely to hear.

Your in a tricky situation. Firstly if at all possible get your dog to the vet and confirm if the dog is pregnant or not.
    Most vets are very nice and allow to pay instalments.
    Ask your vet for advice while there.

Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Amara22

Hihihihi wrote: »
    Does any one know any extremely cheap puppy recipes for when they come that I can make from the food in the kitchen? And anyone know any extremely cheap recipes to feed a pregnant mother Labrador?? Help!

Apologies, wasn't trying to start a debate. Op asked about puppy food and was just giving my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Not sure where ur based but there moblie clinics run by the Blue Cross and DSPCA which offer discounts checkups if cant afford pay a vet (maybe do voluteer work after to help them out ).
    1st get dog checked out make sure healthy and if hasnt been vactioned get it done theres risk of few things been passed to pups after born
    Nice to see you wanting do right thing and as other poster said look at getting her sprayed after has them you dont need hassle of trying find good homes over and over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    Not sure where ur based but there moblie clinics run by the Blue Cross and DSPCA which offer discounts checkups if cant afford pay a vet (maybe do voluteer work after to help them out ).
    1st get dog checked out make sure healthy and if hasnt been vactioned get it done theres risk of few things been passed to pups after born
    Nice to see you wanting do right thing and as other poster said look at getting her sprayed after has them you dont need hassle of trying find good homes over and over :)

+1 . Give them a call and explain the situation they may be able to help. you can google their contact details or give the other one that has the yellow logo a call they may also be able to help. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

BLUE CROSS DETAILS
    Monday - Friday (except Bank Holidays)
    7p.m. - 8.00 p.m.

Monday evening:
    Cabra West outside St Finbar's School, in front of the Catholic Church on Fassaugh Road.
    Tallaght Outside cinemas at the third level car park of The Square Shopping Centre, Tallaght.

Tuesday evening:
    Crumlin outside the school on Armagh Road.
    Blanchardstown in the yellow car park of the new Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

Wednesday evening:
    Ballyfermot by the Catholic Church near the big roundabout on Kylemore Road.
    Ballybrack in the car park of the Tesco Shopping Centre.
    Smithfield on the cobblestone area just beside Linders Toyota Garage

Thursday evening:
    Walkinstown outside the Tony Keely's bike shop and other shops by the green.
    Finglas outside the dispensary/near the Credit Union and Superquinn on Ballygall Road West.

Friday evening:
    Donnycarney outside Scoil Chiarain near the church on Collin's Avenue East close to the Malahide Road junction end

Advertisement