Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will evision affect my broadband speed

Options
  • 28-08-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I am an existing eircom efibre customer (very happy) and I was thinking of taking on evision and letting a basic upc service go.I was wondering if evision would drag down my existing broadband speed. Also upc only do the very basic service to my address
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,756 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, your speed will fall.

If you can mount dishes/aerials you may be better served going for a Freesat+Saorview setup as evision's channel listing is extremely limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

They reduce the speed your line sync at by about 15% for stability (i.e. if your line can attain 100Mb, they reduce to 85Mb sync, 70Mb to 50Mb sync etc.) So your overall max speed drops. What speed do you currently get?

Watching TV will also use up about 4Mb per channel watched/recorded for SD or 9Mb (I think) for HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pinger26

I've just done a speed check and I'm getting 62mbps, in the evening it could drop into the forties.with heavy usage like xbox live laptops, tablets and chromecast,I was just wondering if there would be a noticable drop in speed. also I'm not that concerned with the limited channel selection because in my view the quality channels are covered

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Cable

• Registered Users Posts: 68,756 ✭✭✭✭L1011

pinger26 wrote: »
    I've just done a speed check and I'm getting 62mbps, in the evening it could drop into the forties.with heavy usage like xbox live laptops, tablets and chromecast,I was just wondering if there would be a noticable drop in speed. also I'm not that concerned with the limited channel selection because in my view the quality channels are covered

You'll probably be re-profiled to 50mbps so only get that max, and lose a few mbps per channel being watched/recorded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement