Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an IronMan Event ?

Options
  • 28-08-2014 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Looking to do a full IronMan event at some stage from May to October of next year and work a holiday into the schedule as well. Anyone have any suggestions on which IronMan events might be good to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,611 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lanzarote?

23rd of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I did Austria this year, sensational race. Bout 2 hours drive from the Adriatic Coast if you're looking for a holiday afterwrds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Given that most are probably sold out by now your options are limited unless you decide to go the Nirvana route.

I've done Barcelona & Copenhagen. I'd highly recommend both.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

pgibbo wrote: »
    Given that most are probably sold out by now your options are limited unless you decide to go the Nirvana route.

I've done Barcelona & Copenhagen. I'd highly recommend both.

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Whats the Nirvana route and is a year now long enough to book one of these events no :( ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

saw an update that sweden for next year is almost sold out already, the 2014 race was only on 2 weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Whats the Nirvana route and is a year now long enough to book one of these events no :( ?
    Ironman Austria goes on sale a year in advance and sells out in 24hours. Others aren't quite as popular but you'd want to be booking now anyway.

When the event "sells out", there is a company called Nirvana that offers entries at a premium. Costs a few hundred more, include things like shuttle busses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Some IM brands sell out slower - Switzerland, France, South Africa, Wales:eek:, UK...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bolton was selling fast last time I checked (That's IMUK). I've only done Austria, it is a great race. Every race has plusses and minuses. A lot of the midsummer european ones could end up very hot, and non wetsuit. The UK ones have the opposite problem, the weather could be awful.

I've considered Majorca which is September time, and Bolton because it is close. My jury is still out on Wales, ask me again in three weeks. I would only do another central european race if the logistics of getting there were good. That can be a pain in the ass.

Unless you are a powerful cyclist, I would avoid Lanza :)

Nirvana buy a certain number of slots from IM, these are sold at a premium, and you pay an accommodation deposit to Nirvana as well. If you don't book accomodation with them you lose that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Dublin 2016 :D

(sorry couldn't resist)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

stevire wrote: »

(sorry couldn't resist)

Advance registration and deposits being taken here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Doing IMUK as opposed to a big European race is chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Out of curiosity. What course is considered the fastest ironman course.
    Austria, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Roth?

PWEI wrote: »

AFAIK, both Iron Distance World records (Male (A Raelert) and Female Wellington) were set @ Roth, albeit in 2011 - maybe a particularly fast version of the course;)

The official IM-brand record (Male) is from Austria, 2011 - vanhugeknackers...

Izoard wrote: »
    Allegedly also a fast version of the course.

AFAIK, both Iron Distance World records (Male (A Raelert) and Female Wellington) were set @ Roth, albeit in 2011 - maybe a particularly fast version of the course;)

I didn't know that, that's interesting.
    I did Roth this year & there was no shortage of hills but I suppose all the downhill's made up for the uphill's.
    Swim was also 350 meters long which was a bit annoying.

Oryx wrote: »
    Allegedly also a fast version of the course.

You mean, my PB from Roth 2011, is worthless???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

stevire wrote: »

(sorry couldn't resist)

Best to get in quickly as its a once off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I've done Austria, Frankfurt and Roth.
    Which was the fastest course? The one that I had done the most training for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Consider racing in the US? I did IM Wisconsin in 2011 great race. Only 2.5hrs from Chicago

Have done Copenhagen, Germany, Austria & Wisconsin. All unique & had different experiences. Wouldn't recommend one over the other all great experiences. Your first is always the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

LCD wrote: »
    Consider racing in the US? I did IM Wisconsin in 2011 great race. Only 2.5hrs from Chicago

Have done Copenhagen, Germany, Austria & Wisconsin. All unique & had different experiences. Wouldn't recommend one over the other all great experiences. Your first is always the best.

The BIG question is, will you do another????? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

pgibbo wrote: »
    The BIG question is, will you do another????? :pac:

No, he is a full time Donkey Farmer now!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

I didn't know that, that's interesting.
    I did Roth this year & there was no shortage of hills but I suppose all the downhill's made up for the uphill's.
    Swim was also 350 meters long which was a bit annoying.

Roth swim was not long. You might just not have swam in a straight line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Wales:eek:

totally agree. Did it in 2011. never never again. That was my fault and got my nutrition totally wrong on the run. The second half of the run was a total write off. Did finish but no where near the time I was targeting.

Do want to do another. Maybe next year.

micar wrote: »
    totally agree. Did it in 2011. never never again. That was my fault and got my nutrition totally wrong on the run. The second half of the run was a total write off. Did finish but no where near the time I was targeting.

Do want to do another. Maybe next year.

I need to stop reading these threads..... :)

bopperr wrote: »
    Roth swim was not long. You might just not have swam in a straight line!

Well everybody I spoke to after who measured their swims said it was at least 300 meters long so I doubt they all didn't swim straight considering it's a canal swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Well everybody I spoke to after who measured their swims said it was at least 300 meters long so I doubt they all didn't swim straight considering it's a canal swim.

swim was not long . but what did happen was they had to open one of the locks during the night so there was so turbulences in the water.
    gamins and open water = is not accurate.
    we had one guy runing with 2 garmins last week to meassure a lap one said 450 the other 475 m .....

anyway its a race and everybody did the same race ....

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bopperr

I measured Roth less than 100m long and came out just on my expected time. Germans don't make mistakes like this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

oh they do they are as bad as the rest in europe when it come to meassure tri distances and 2 out of 3 distance in roth are not 100% correct but the swim is.
    bopperr wrote: »
    I measured Roth less than 100m long and came out just on my expected time. Germans don't make mistakes like this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

peter kern wrote: »
    oh they do they are as bad as the rest in europe when it come to meassure tri distances and 2 out of 3 distance in roth are not 100% correct but the swim is.

Most people from our club measured it long , ranging from 4km to 4.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭loudeac

IM Lanzarote easy access ok flight is 4 plus hour's
    10 min to your hotel/apt from airport
    100m from your hotel to start and finish if you source a good hotel/apt in advance
    Satisfaction of doing one of the most rewarding IM in the world regarded as one of toughest around
    LIMIT'S DO NOT APPLY

Advertisement