Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing perfume from outside EU

Options
  • 28-08-2014 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Guys

I would like some advice, I'm thinking of opening a online perfume business,

Is there any law/rules or anything I would need to have approved before I go ahead and order the perfume.. Would anyone know the rate of importing duty / vat paid on import /

Do I also need special Certs to be allowed to sell..

I have contacted a few places to get help on this matter with no joy.. So any help from you guys and I will be very thankful.

Thank you all..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

You cannot import brands from outside the EU. Search this forum for grey imports, for the detail as to why, it is very well covered.You would not have much chance of selling noname products online.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I predict hassle, the current restrictions on sending liquids is a big one. Then there is excise duty on perfume, even if you order perfume from northern ireland excise duty is due on it. Then there is trouble with counterfeiting, be it you unknowingly getting counterfeit stuff, or people worried you might be selling counterfeit (being a presumably small operator) and the possibility of people claiming its fake or returning fake ones.

You probably do need special certs, I know a friend of a friend who sells imported beer and he had to set up some sort of bonded warehouse, due to excise duty.

I will move this to the entrepreneur forum with a link still to this forum.

Non-excisable cosmetics would be less hassle, and perhaps give you a feel if the business will take off.

Advertisement