Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student grant questions help !

Options
  • 28-08-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I have been in contact with susi and they have told me they will accept a late application for the grant, however I am unsure what to include in my earnings for last year as I was in Australia working. I feel that they shouldn't take the gross figure at face value as i was paying lots of tax and not to mention the cost of living such as a car costing 2 or 3 times as much as it would here and rent being ridiculously high, another thing is I haven't been dependent on my mother for over 5 years so i don't see why i should put her earnings in when I didn't live with her for the year in question but I am back living with her now.
    can anyone tell me what i should do, should I enter all the figures, will they even be able to access any earnings I had in Australia but I don't want to lie either, I just feel there should be a different threshold in my case.
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 flashback humour

They may ask for proof of all overseas earnings. When I applied I had to send them a Statement of Earnings for all work in Australia in 2013 for both myself and my partner.

You will be assessed depending on where you were living in October 2013 so if you were living at home during that time then you will be assessed at a dependent student and both yours and your mothers income will be taken in to account. Its an unfair system but that's the way they work. If you apply as an independent student then they will look for proof of independent living in October e.g a utility bill in your name or a lease agreement.

They do have a clause for change of circumstances, where if your circumstances have changed quite significantly between 2013 and 2014 then they will take this in to account. I'm not too familiar with it to be honest but you may be able to argue that your wages have dropped since returning to Ireland (assuming that they have) and they may well make allowances for that. Moving out of home between October and the college year won't count as a change of circumstances AFAIK, they are strict on this rule.

Advertisement