Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

toilet not refilling

• 28-08-2014 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Why would a toilet not refill when flushed.? Tried lifting up the ballcock but no water comes in. Sometimes a dribble will and it may fill over a period of hours. And it does not empty completely about an inch of water remains under ballcock

The water into house is on taps work OK.

In case I need to do so does the water valve under sink stop water going in to toilet as well

Does flushed waste from an upstairs toilet go out the same route as the downstairs one.?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Water should be coming direct from the tank so I would assume there is a blockage in a pipe somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

GoodLord wrote: »
    Why would a toilet not refill when flushed.? Tried lifting up the ballcock but no water comes in. Sometimes a dribble will and it may fill over a period of hours.

The water into house is on taps work OK.

In case I need to do so does the water valve under sink stop water going in to toilet as well

Does flushed waste from an upstairs toilet go out the same route as the downstairs one.?

I had the same problem. The black rubber seal that the ball cock controls to let in water was stuck. I turned off water feed to the cistern and replaced the seal and it sorted it. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Water should be coming direct from the tank so I would assume there is a blockage in a pipe somewhere.
    it comes from tank in attic not in from road?

quinnp wrote: »
    I had the same problem. The black rubber seal that the ball cock controls to let in water was stuck. I turned off water feed to the cistern and replaced the seal and it sorted it. Hope this helps.
    how do you turn off water to cistern and where is that black rubber seal?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

The water filling your cistern comes from the tank in the attic. There should be a valve on the pipe coming from the tank in attic with a round red head on it. turn this to shut off water to the cistern.

Can you confirm what type of ball cock you have? is it the old style ones similar to the one below?

• Advertisement

Ok here is a video. http://videobam.com/vOkAY

The water should come through the clear plastic tube. Where i take off the white connector at 30 seconds there is water in the hole under that.

Where is the black rubber seal quionnp refers to? Is it at very right inside cistern where the pipe feeds the water in?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

Ok here is a video. http://videobam.com/vOkAY

The water should come through the clear plastic tube. Where i take off the white connector at 30 seconds there is water in the hole under that.

Where is the black rubber seal quionnp refers to? Is it at very right inside cistern where the pipe feeds the water in?

Thanks

Yes., between where the ballcock connects to the water feed. It stops the water entering the tank.

Turn of water from attic. If you are unsure about what valves to turn I would just turn off all 'red headed' valves around the copper clyiinder in your hot press. Make a note which ones you've closed so that you can undo when you're finished.

Go to cistern. You need to unscrew the whole white fitting using the screw connector on the right hand end of the white fitting. It could be blocked here. sometimes there are little filters at this point. It cold be just a matter of clearning filter and reconnecting.

If that doesn't work then unscrew the end of that plastic white fitting (the end that has the little nipple which moves when the ballcock pushes against when full).

When that is off, look into the end and you will see a rubber seal in there. The rubber seal seals the pipe when the nipple pushes against it and prevents water from entering the cistern.That could be stuck and just need to be released manually.

Thanks guys. Is this the seal or am i wrong?

Thanks guys. Is this the seal or am i wrong?

No. The seal is inside the part at the left hand end of the whole white fitting. Lift the ball cock manually by hand as if it's being raised by the water level and you will see the end of the ball cock push on the nipple at the end of the white fitting. The seal is inside at the back of the nipple.

unscrew the end of the fitting which contains the nipple.

• Advertisement

No. The seal is inside the part at the left hand end of the whole white fitting. Lift the ball cock manually by hand as if it's being raised by the water level and you will see the end of the ball cock push on the nipple at the end of the white fitting. The seal is inside at the back of the nipple.

unscrew the end of the fitting which contains the nipple.
    OK guys thanks

Turn of water from attic. If you are unsure about what valves to turn I would just turn off all 'red headed' valves around the copper clyiinder in your hot press. Make a note which ones you've closed so that you can undo when you're finished.

Go to cistern. You need to unscrew the whole white fitting using the screw connector on the right hand end of the white fitting. It could be blocked here. sometimes there are little filters at this point. It cold be just a matter of clearning filter and reconnecting.

If that doesn't work then unscrew the end of that plastic white fitting (the end that has the little nipple which moves when the ballcock pushes against when full).

When that is off, look into the end and you will see a rubber seal in there. The rubber seal seals the pipe when the nipple pushes against it and prevents water from entering the cistern.That could be stuck and just need to be released manually.
    Is this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

320265.jpg

dodzy wrote: »
    320265.jpg
    Fair play

And looks like this..... €2 max in any plumbing suppliers. Buy a couple, if you have other similar systems in the house. They tend to go out in sympathy with one another.

320267.jpg

dodzy wrote: »
    And looks like this..... €2 max in any plumbing suppliers. Buy a couple, if you have other similar systems in the house. They tend to go out in sympathy with one another.

320267.jpg
    thanks again . one more thing will i get airlock if i turn off the two red valves in hot press? and as there is hardly any water going in how will i know i have turned off the right ones. There are just two in hot press upstairs and the toilet is downstairs. I do not see any valves downstairs. It must be one of the ones in hot press?

thanks again . one more thing will i get airlock if i turn off the two red valves in hot press? and as there is hardly any water going in how will i know i have turned off the right ones. There are just two in hot press upstairs and the toilet is downstairs. I do not see any valves downstairs. It must be one of the ones in hot press?
    Most likely is in the hot-press. And it will most likely be on a vertical pipe which runs from the attic above. If you have a bathroom upstairs, near the hot-press, just run the hot & cold wash hand basin taps and turn off the valves one at a time. No airlocks to worry about. When the cold tap dies off, you've got it (most likely). You can verify when you pop downstairs, and unscrew the outer part in indicated in the earlier pic. You'll be fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Check that there is no cold water coming out of the cold tap on the sink in the bathroom downstairs where your toilet is.Just on the off chance that the cold water is connected to the mains in that bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Why would a toilet not refill when flushed.? Tried lifting up the ballcock but no water comes in.

Push down the ballcock

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Push down the ballcock
    OP says there's feck all water coming out of it. Only dripping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement