Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 520 repair

• 28-08-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭

Looking for advice on simple repair needed to my 520. The on\off button isn't working. The phone comes back on when I call it and its powered on.

I have seen repair shops with 65 euro charge but the phone isn't really worth that, and I'm not suspecting a major repair job.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Ranjo wrote: »
    Looking for advice on simple repair needed to my 520. The on\off button isn't working. The phone comes back on when I call it and its powered on.

I have seen repair shops with 65 euro charge but the phone isn't really worth that, and I'm not suspecting a major repair job.

Surely it's still covered by warranty ?
    Contact fonfix and they may check this for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Well past warranty.
    Fonfix are one who quote 65 for any repair. No way to phone them just seems to be post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

Not worth paying 65 quid, when a new Lumia 630 is 80 quid with the 20 off with O2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Why dont you just go to a Nokia Repair Center?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Find one with a broken screen might be cheaper.
    Or sell yours and use the money towards a 630?
    Or ask Nokia nicely.

You can enable the double tap to wake the phone. So you don't need the power button. But its not that reliable on my 520.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I've never used a 520 but, on the 630, the mechanical parts of the buttons seem to be incorporated in the removable back cover. Covers can be bought cheaply enough. I saw genuine 630 covers lately on amazon.de for E10-15 plus postage. Is there any chance that the contacts just need cleaning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well past warranty.
    Fonfix are one who quote 65 for any repair. No way to phone them just seems to be post.

The 520 has 24 months warranty, and its not out that long yet so should be in warranty.

Once its not damage you caused it should be repaired foc.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/mobile/support/warranty-check/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

This will definitely be covered under warranty by a Nokia Care Point. Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

I couldn't find my receipt and I actually think I've had it either very close to, or more than 2 years.

In the end, I found a guy who fixed it for 40 euro so just went ahead and got it done. It was in Stillorgan shopping centre, the Fixit guy in that little shop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I couldn't find my receipt and I actually think I've had it either very close to, or more than 2 years.

In the end, I found a guy who fixed it for 40 euro so just went ahead and got it done. It was in Stillorgan shopping centre, the Fixit guy in that little shop.

It was first released in April 2013, so you'd be fine, I've never needed a receipt for warranty repairs, I think they have a database of sales. Even if they don't, they can hardly argue that you've had it longer than its been out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭The Mulk

The same thing happened with mine so I went into settings and changed the screen lock/unlock to double tap.Doesn't always work
    Phone is less than 12 months old.
    Try get it sorted tomorrow through work.

This really is the worst phone I've ever owned :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Same thing happened to me when I had one ( have since moved on to the 625) I found a great fix on this video and still works to this day. My wife uses it for emailing with the wifi without a sim.

EDIT: Video is on post 13 of the linked thread

Advertisement