Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wayne Rooney - England captain

• 28-08-2014 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Wayne Rooney has been named England captain by Roy Hodgson.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28963116

Bit disgusted to be honest. Smacks a little of racism. If yaya toure was white, he'd have got it for sure.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Wayne Rooney has been named England captain by Roy Hodgson.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28963116

Bit disgusted to be honest. Smacks a little of racism. If yaya toure was white, he'd have got it for sure.

Que?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

WTF? And honestly a thread for this?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He is England's best player and always gives 100%, it's not much of a surprise, they have no leaders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bigger shock is how Welbeck keeps making the squad.

• dafuq^^^^^

• Advertisement

• Bigger shock is how Welbeck keeps making the squad.

Not sure how this relates to Rooney being named England captain. So it begins...again..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I guess Rooney might be one of the only others who would get the Captaincy. England have had some big players retire recently. I can't think of anyone else really who might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I can't believe Seamus Coleman was overlooked by Hodgson again, not to mention Bale. Roy doesn't have a clue.

• jaykay74 wrote: »
    I can't believe Seamus Coleman was overlooked by Hodgson again, not to mention Bale. Roy doesn't have a clue.

Think this thread needs to go into the recycling bin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Rooney hasn't played consistently well for club or country for 2 years now. On form he's their best player but they have very little 'leaders' in that team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Great choice :D MU captain and England captain all in the one year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He's not a natural leader. He tends to hide and moan when things don't go his way. But they don't have an abundance of leaders so he's probably the only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hendo was the obvious candidate - ex u21 captain and not as combustible as Rooney. But clearly age won out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

jaykay74 wrote: »

Not to mention Shane Long! Hodgson is a clown.

• Hendo was the obvious candidate - ex u21 captain and not as combustible as Rooney. But clearly age won out here.

And experience.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I... I don't even

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    And experience.

And ability.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is that you, Sol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It should of been Cahill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

He is England's best player and always gives 100%, it's not much of a surprise, they have no leaders

In what games has he given 100%?

He's been one of England's worst performers for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I Like Cake !

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's not a natural leader. He tends to hide and moan when things don't go his way. But they don't have an abundance of leaders so he's probably the only option.

You mean like last season when United played bad in pretty much every game and he was top scorer and got plenty of assists? If there's one thing Rooney doesn't do it's hide.

Also should I mention his wages before someone else does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Super-Rush wrote: »
    In what games has he given 100%?

He's been one of England's worst performers for a while now.

He was probably England's best player at the world cup.. One of the few decent ones anyway..

Got the captaincy, deservedly, due to his experience and his Work rate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Well he has got more goals for England than most of the other players have got caps so it's the logical pick but it's also a sign of the times for the England national team, future looking very bleak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As poor an England squad on paper as I've seen in a long time. A few good players alright but an awful lot of fairly average ones.
    Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Everton)

Midfielders: Jack Colback (Newcastle United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

From that squad, Cahill or Jagielka are about the only other possibilities. Rest are too young or not regular enough starters to be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

fcuk Rooney, Chambers should be captain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Such an inspirational figure; I'd be proud to follow him into battle.

wayne.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

fcuk Rooney, Chambers should be captain.

But that would still be racist!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Hendo was the obvious candidate - ex u21 captain and not as combustible as Rooney. But clearly age won out here.

"Obvious"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

bennyl10 wrote: »
    He was probably England's best player at the world cup.. One of the few decent ones anyway..

Got the captaincy, deservedly, due to his experience and his Work rate!

I see his work rate for Utd every week but he does very little for England to deserve the armband.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Wasn't Cahill captain at Bolton for a bit? Would have given it to him or Henderson. Being captain isn't for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Captain by default, only other arguments you could make would be Cahill or Jagielka.

It's going to be grim when they're in need of a result and he's the man they're going to have to look to for inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

titan18 wrote: »
    From that squad, Cahill or Jagielka are about the only other possibilities. Rest are too young or not regular enough starters to be worth it.

Ya, whichever of cahill or jags would be playing should have been the cap, after that hendo maybe. Thinhk rooney doesnt have the capability to inspire through the way he carried himself, doesnt seem to drive teammates on in the way a leader should. Does have the ability and is more likely to lead through actions and dramatic stuff but a poor choice imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

There was literally nobody else even remotely deserving of the captaincy, which says quite a bit about the English side right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I dont like him but hart seems vocal enough and secure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Should have given it to Cahill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Captain by default,

Promotion by Osmosis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Not really a surprise Englands most visible player which is generally how captainship is rewarded with the national team. As mentioned Cahill for me would have been the better choice but it would have put Rooney in a huff same way if United had given it to RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Liam O wrote: »
    You mean like last season when United played bad in pretty much every game and he was top scorer and got plenty of assists? If there's one thing Rooney doesn't do it's hide.

Also should I mention his wages before someone else does?

Well he was the first choice striker ,that helps you to score goals you know.
    Who else would possibly score more ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

England desperately want people to hate them again after a prolonged sympathy period under Roy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Augmerson wrote: »
    Que?
    adox wrote: »
    WTF? And honestly a thread for this?:confused:
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    dafuq^^^^^
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    tossy wrote: »
    Not to mention Shane Long! Hodgson is a clown.
    I... I don't even

Well he was the first choice striker ,that helps you to score goals you know.
    Who else would possibly score more ?

Hard to say but having he had a direct hand in 27 goals for a 7th place team. Hardly shying away or hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Knex. wrote: »
    There was literally nobody else even remotely deserving of the captaincy, which says quite a bit about the English side right now.

Yup...at first I was a tad surprised when I heard, then I looked at the current squad list and there was absolutely noone else who could have realistically been picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yup...at first I was a tad surprised when I heard, then I looked at the current squad list and there was absolutely noone else who could have realistically been picked.
    Joe hart?
    I'd have chosen Cahill myself with rooney as vice captain.
    But there's not much between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Joe hart?

Just the pressure of being the number one keeper at times is too much for Hart, last thing he needs next time he has a run of bad form is to also be the national captain.

Cahill might have been alright, but he doesn't really strike me as being a big "personality". Good senior player, but im not sure about him being a leader (in the public sense, which is a huge part of this role), and national icon, which the England captain always has to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Joe hart?

You started the thread and it took you 3 pages to say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Best player in England, best striker in Europe, showed over the years that he has all the leadership capabilities and integrity to be the captain that will finally deliver the Jules Remit they so dearly crave by putting the rest of the team and country on his back and carry them to the promised land.

The White Pele you say? Bollix, the comparison is insulting to Rooney not to mention racist.

Hang on wait, I don't mean very much of what I just said there, but since it needs its own thread I may as well have the "banter"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

People thought your man was serious about the Yaya Toure comment? :pac:

I presume it was a joke based on Sol Campbell's comments where he said he'd have been captain if he wasn't black.

People thought your man was serious about the Yaya Toure comment? :pac:

I presume it was a joke based on Sol Campbell's comments where he said he'd have been captain if he wasn't black.

Yeah, just a really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really

bad joke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement