Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I stuff chelsea buns with summer fruits?

• 28-08-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

I'm mad about chelsea buns at the minute. I love my go to apple and cinnamon ones, I have a recipe for savoury garlic ones and I just had an idea for doing chelsea buns that have fresh summer fruits in them.

Is there any reason why they might not work? I'd like to fill them with berries and maybe some diced peach. Then drizzle with a coulis/icing when they're cool.

I know I could just try and see but berries are expensive :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'd be careful, as fresh fruit always has a lot of liquid that will ooze out during baking, especially summer fruit and berries.

Can't think of a clever way of avoiding soggyness right now, but I'll let you know if something comes to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Do you think it would make a difference if the berries were frozen? I only ask because I found a couple of recipes online today for the same idea but using frozen berries.

I already have frozen berries so I might just give it a whirl with them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Do you think it would make a difference if the berries were frozen? I only ask because I found a couple of recipes online today for the same idea but using frozen berries.

I already have frozen berries so I might just give it a whirl with them :)

I'm not sure, I've never tried it.
    But I've never had any yeasty baked goods of any shape or form with berries in them. And I kind of suspect there might be a reason for that.

I was going to suggest cooking the berries into a thick jam, but I don't think that's quite what you had in mind ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Well it worked perfectly! I used a thin layer of peach conserve and then scattered over frozen raspberries and blackberries, then finished it with a peach drizzle.

Delicious :)

photo2_zpsa14ef48f.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They look gooey and delicious!
    You've invented something new :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement