Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doesn't mind being asleep, but hates going to sleep!

Options
  • 28-08-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

We've been trying the baby whisperer idea of pick up/put down and sush-pat for about 5 weeks now to try help our 4 and a half month old sleep. We were persevering in the hope that it would work, but at the moment there has been no improvement whatsoever. She'll fall asleep no problem in the car sear or one of the carriers, but trying to put her down and go to sleep herself involves anything from 10-50mins of screaming the house down. She'll nod off eventually, but has to be almost conked in our arms before we could put her down. She has slept in her own bed from day 1 so don't think that's the problem.

I'm not sure if we're expecting too much or being too hard on ourselves, but are worried about ever leaving her with someone else and them having to deal with it.

Anyone been through something similar and have some practical advice?

Also, during the day we'd be delighted if she slept for an hour at a time, but night time is generally 4-5 hour blocks which isn't too bad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Honestly I think that 4 months is too young for any kind of sleep training. She sleeps for 4-5 hours at a time at night which is really good. Maybe someone else has some tips but I would go with whatever gets her to sleep for now.

My daughter was the same and only now at 2.5 years old is starting to go to sleep without any crying and avoidance techniques. And that is only because she has stopped napping so is exhausted at the end of the day! I tried the baby whisperer and no cry sleep solution techniques and the only thing that worked was cuddling her to sleep. She is very headstrong! In the end I just gave in and kept doing it. The few times that someone else was minding her she was fine. I would usually get her to sleep before leaving but if I didn't she goes to sleep for anyone when she is tired enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Thanks for the reply. We're leaning towards giving up alright and just cuddling and rocking her to sleep, that's what she seems to like so we'll probably just go with that. A couple of people have said it gets easier to get them to sleep once solids are introduced too, so maybe she'll just change naturally over the next few months.

Anyway sleep is over rated, she's way more fun when she's awake!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

is she hungry?
    where does she sleep?
    DO you gave separate areas for day and night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Why not just put the car seat or bouncer beside her cot, let her fall asleep there, then transfer her into the cot when she's asleep? It won't do her any harm, in fact I know people who've had paediatricians recommend them to leave the baby in the car seat or bouncer all night to help reflux. (By the way I wouldn't recommend doing this without medical advice, but there definitely wouldn't be any harm in letting her fall asleep there and then moving her.)

Also, what's her routine (if she has one?) Could it be that she's overtired going to bed?

I've never read the baby whisperer book, but I know that picking up and putting down definitely wouldn't work with our baby (of course, every baby is different) ... if he's having trouble settling, I usually just sit beside him with the lights off and hold his hand or stroke his face, he just needs to know that someone is there ... I know that if I were to pick him up for a cuddle, it would have him wide awake again and he wouldn't want to be put back down! Having said that, I probably would pick him up if he was actually upset, but he's very rarely been like that.

Could she be too hot/too cold? What covers do you use (blankets, sleeping bag etc)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I used the baby whisperer ss well, and we took from it to use a routine that worked for our baby.

What worked for our first baby was put her into her babygro and sleeping bag, sit in the chair beside the cot, story, feed her (warm bottle). Give her the dummy and her favourite rag/blanket and put her down. At the start we would hold her hand while she fell asleep. honestly a warm bottle usually had her asleep in about 2-3 mins.

Second baby isn't fond of the warm bottle. Her routine is similar though. Feed about an hour before bed. Change of clothes and some snuggles. I wait for the eye rubbing and yawn to start, and then it's off to the chair for story. Then cot with dummy and the thing to hold onto (for her it's the label on a tiny newborn vest). She is 5 months at the moment, and is pretty settled into this routine.

I never really pick them up from the cot to settle... Resettle with dummy and handholding is what I've done... Mainly because my back isn't up to all the picking up and down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement