Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League Cup Thread 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    You'd think they'd wanna kill the game off, game has consisted of sideways & backward passing. Taking a one goal advantage isn't awe inspiring.

In fairness Sheffield United have gotten where they are by playing like this, very well organised and solid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Heap of **** really, can see us going out next week have a bad feeling. Decision to play Ade may come back to haunt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

1-0 win, poor game to watch, though a clean sheet could be vital in the tie overall.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Would rather have a 2 goal lead going up there but at least they have to come at us now.

tippspur wrote: »
    Would rather have a 2 goal lead going up there but at least they have to come at us now.

True enough, hope the lineup is different and does not include Ade or Townsend. If they get an early goal up there and get the crowd behind them we will be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

We seem to have great difficulty breaking down teams that defend deep against us.

Maybe that's why we have more luck away from the lane.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Near 6k away fans to have a party in Sheffield next week COYS

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Near 6k away fans to have a party in Sheffield next week COYS

Hope you are right buddy COYS

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Hope you are right buddy COYS

If we can't beat this lot over 2 legs we may give up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We seem to have great difficulty breaking down teams that defend deep against us.

Maybe that's why we have more luck away from the lane.
    And the fact that WHL is a narrow pitch only helps teams that come and play that type of game,I believe Brammel Lane is a much wider pitch than ours and will hopefully suit our game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I like how much more alive the team looked once ade went off (or soldado came on, depending on how you look at it). Tough game, glad we came away with a win but they sure did put up one hell of a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

If we can't beat this lot over 2 legs we may give up

I think most of their Cup success has been away from home, so things are looking good for us next week at Bramall Lane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Poor enough last night lads but that goal could get us through

What on earth was poch doing starting adebayour, not to mind making him captain. Absolutely crazy decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

They have to try and score next week which should leave them vulnerable. An early goal for us and it'll all be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Townsend seems to be playing a lot lately and Adebayor was brought back in very quickly.. I think its a shop window for both, also gives the impression that they are vital members of the team and helps keep there value up. Id now be relived to see both go. USe the money to invest in another striker and a winger who can preform at a high level and provide a constent threat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Ade was shocking, he'll be here until his contract runs down. Players taking too many touches, no decisive quick forward passing, giving the opposition plenty of time to regroup.

We must be one of the worst teams at set pieces, even a cleverly worked free kick once in a while. Just seems to hit the first man no matter who steps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Tippspur mentioned it already. WHL is a very narrow pitch, and when I switched the game on all I could see was 11 Sheffield players within 40 yards of the goal. That's very congested.

It's a common complaint Spurs have had throughout the years at home and it will be interesting to see if it changes when the move to the new stadium is complete as I'd imagine it will have a wider pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I can't see Townsend going unless an unholy amount is offered. He's a decent squad player and he loves the club. Nobody will make a ridiculous offer and Townsend won't push to leave.

Seeing Ade and Townsend coming back into the fold in recent weeks has nothing to do with shop windows, imo. Poch plays a high-intensity game and puts on tough training sessions, so the squad needs to be rotated every so often. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing Lennon being given some more starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Yes, SOME of the set pieces were poor , but dont you remember Dier having two clear headers ?

Townsend has beniffted and improved under Poch . Ok last night he did not get outside his man, but in the last few games he has been getting crosses in with right foot and has reduced his shooting to a minimum. He probably could have tried a few last night. Ade also there to stay, so like him or not , Poch has to get the most out of him and he is attempting to do that . If Kane gets injured its Ade and Soldado as back up ...Simple as ! So he has no choice , we aint offloading either of them anytime soon as far as I can see. I accept players have to earn support from fans , but we as fans can help players or at least try to help in Soldado case ! . For his first game in a long time Ade was OK , rusty ,but his work rate was ok as far as I saw( because I made a point of watching his movement). The chance he had was tough because the ball was coming over his head and he actually got too much control on it as it ended up slightly behind him when he shot . The booking was nothing and the guy made a complete meal of a hand that was just keeping him a bay .

Last night some key players for whatever reason were off key . Eriksen had his oorest game for a long time, and could barely find a Spurs player. Davies was poor several times. Walker never gave Townsend support . Harry was tied up and could not influence the game . We definitely missed Chadli who gives us lots of options and a different outlet on the left.

It will be nervy next week but lets believe ...COYS ...We have come quite a distance since October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Not a Townsend fan at all but actually thought lasts night performance wasn't the worst. Woeful shooting from distance, but he does have pace and creates a bit of energy, and a very well taken penalty.

• Advertisement

Wembley baby :D

Wembley baby :D

You going Hatch?

You going Hatch?

All depends on the ticket allocation to ST's and members pal...wouldn't pay a tout for one

All depends on the ticket allocation to ST's and members pal...wouldn't pay a tout for one

Same as that will not pay crazy money, but will apply and see but am probably a little bit shy of the target.

Same as that will not pay crazy money, but will apply and see but am probably a little bit shy of the target.

Ye never know mate, will enjoy a few beers and say a few Hail Mary's one way or the other..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

We all know what we're like after a Thursday Europe League match.

So the question is, would everyone be happy if Poch put out a complete 2nd string team in the Fiorentina away match?

I personally would prefer the real chance of silverware!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Do chelsea have a champs league match that week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 EoinMoran

PVincent wrote: »
    following week unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭abff

PVincent wrote: »

No. They play PSG away on 17 February, Burnley at home on 21 February and then have 8 days to prepare for the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Ye never know mate, will enjoy a few beers and say a few Hail Mary's one way or the other..

Loadsa :D

Advertisement