Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League Cup Thread 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Well at least we now know, Townsend is muck , paulhino is a waste of money, soldado can score, lamela and Kane are showing signs of becoming footballers,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Any idea for Saturday?

Bet with your head, not your heart;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Bet with your head, not your heart;)

Lump on the goons so? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Well at least we now know, Townsend is muck , paulhino is a waste of money, soldado can score, lamela and Kane are showing signs of becoming footballers,

Paulinho is taking the pish. Pochettino should look at the youth system.

yiddo59 wrote: »

Ah, that cracked me up!

• Advertisement

yiddo59 wrote: »

Their defence ain't too solid but our midfield looks lacklustre and Soldado cant play up front on his own.

Pick a winner and both teams to score.

At home to Brighton in the next round, nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Paper and cracks comes to mind but there were some positives ... eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Great draw COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

We should go balls out to win this thing

Beat Brighton at home and we are in QF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Forest fan here.

While there are some positives to take from tonight's game from a Spurs point of view, there are probably more negatives. Surprised that Soldado & Paulinho stayed on the pitch as long as they did because both played well below par. There wasn't enough cutting edge from Spurs attack in general - Townsend is too fond of shooting on sight, instead of looking to link up with any of his team mates. Thought the defending for Forest goal was poor, I'm not sure what player in white failed to cut out the cross when it came into the box, but it was soft in any case. Forest defence were comfortable up to the first goal, and it took a special strike to beat De Vries in goal. Mason was lively throughout his time on the pitch and could have got another. Kane also took his goal well, for a guy who's received a lot of criticism it was a good finish - even if our centre half Lascelles made a blunder by not pushing out with the rest of the defensive line. Still has a lot to learn and I can see why he's not a current starter in Pearce's first XI.

While Spurs certainly deserved to win, and had a decent last 20 minutes, I can't say I was particularly impressed in general. This was very much a second string Forest XI, minus our two top scorers Assombalonga and Antonio, as well as other regular first choice players like Reid, Darlow, Lansbury, Hunt, Burke our first choice centre half pairing of Mancienne & Hobbs, amongst others. Weldweijk, McLoughlin & Grant all made their first starts of the season tonight. Our midfield in particular was quite inexperienced. Although I thought Ben Osborn was excellent and continues to show promise despite Pearce giving him only limited playing time.

Spurs needed the win tonight, and ye got it. Will need to do much better on Saturday though, albeit with a much changed side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

grenache wrote: »
    Forest fan here.

While there are some positives to take from tonight's game from a Spurs point of view, there are probably more negatives. Surprised that Soldado & Paulinho stayed on the pitch as long as they did because both played well below par. There wasn't enough cutting edge from Spurs attack in general - Townsend is too fond of shooting on sight, instead of looking to link up with any of his team mates. Thought the defending for Forest goal was poor, I'm not sure what player in white failed to cut out the cross when it came into the box, but it was soft in any case. Forest defence were comfortable up to the first goal, and it took a special strike beat De Vries in goal. Mason was lively throughout his time on the pitch and could have got another. Kane also took his goal well, even if our centre half Lascelles made a blunder by not pushing out with the rest of the defensive line. Still has a lot to learn and I can see why he's not a current starter in Pearce's first XI.

While Spurs certainly deserved to win, and had a decent last 20 minutes, I can't say I was particularly impressed in general. This was very much a second string Forest XI, minus our two top scorers Assombalonga and Antonio, as well as other regular first choice players like Reid, Lansbury, Hunt, Burke our first choice centre half pairing of Mancienne & Hobbs, amongst others. Weldweijk, McLoughlin & Grant all made their first starts of the season tonight. Our midfield in particular was quite inexperienced. Although I thought Ben Osborn was excellent and continues to show promise despite Pearce giving him only limited playing time.

Spurs needed the win tonight, and ye got it. Will need to do much better on Saturday though, albeit with a much changed side.

Thanks for the post, I think you've summed up exactly what we all feel! I don' think anybody would have begrudged Forest a win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

SuprSi wrote: »
    Thanks for the post, I think you've summed up exactly what we all feel! I don' think anybody would have begrudged Forest a win tonight.

Forest weren't good enough to see it through. A lot of our fans were surprised that Pearce chose to put out such a weakened side, after saying the opposite all week. Not putting our top players even on the bench. But the youngsters did ok tonight and it's another 45 and 90 minutes respectively for David Vaughan and Kelvin Wilson in their return from injury. As well as a first but brief appearance by Dexter Blackstock after a 12 month layoff.

Spurs biggest problem is the lack of a cutting edge. I expected a much greater threat from the more established players, but guys like Paulinho, Lennon and Soldado were so static. Lennon in particular looked a shadow of his former self. Neither Bentaleb or Stambouli gave Pochettino any food for thought. The first half in particular, just looked like the players were going through the motions, with nothing more than long range shots to trouble De Vries. There needs to be some serious investment in January if Tottenham are to have any chance of sneaking into the final CL spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

grenache wrote: »
    Forest weren't good enough to see it through. A lot of our fans were surprised that Pearce chose to put out such a weakened side, after saying the opposite all week. Not putting our top players even on the bench. But the youngsters did ok tonight and it's another 45 and 90 minutes respectively for David Vaughan and Kelvin Wilson in their return from injury. As well as a first but brief appearance by Dexter Blackstock after a 12 month layoff.

Spurs biggest problem is the lack of a cutting edge. I expected a much greater threat from the more established players, but guys like Paulinho, Lennon and Soldado were so static. Lennon in particular looked a shadow of his former self. Neither Bentaleb or Stambouli gave Pochettino any food for thought. The first half in particular, just looked like the players were going through the motions, with nothing more than long range shots to trouble De Vries. There needs to be some serious investment in January if Tottenham are to have any chance of sneaking into the final CL spot.
    Our players always look like they're going through the motions, that's the problem. No will to win. I also agree about having no cutting edge. We lack creativity too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I think Poch, like AVB, is a bit too stubborn when it comes to tactics.

With Soldado gagging for a goal and playing against a team weaker than us, Lennon and Townsend should have been playing as out and out wingers. Stretching their full backs and pinging crosses across the 6-yard box for Soldado.

A slower and more reserved approach would be ideal for a match against Chelsea, City or Arsenal maybe.

Also, Poch (like AVB again) needs to swallow his pride and accept that sometimes the other team is better than us. So we need to adapt our defensive tactics too and sit back and give the other team the lions share of possession. You won't see Mourinho bringing Chelsea away to another 'top 4' team and trying to dominate. He'll sit back, soak it up and be happy with a draw if he can't sneak a goal on the break - ref: Liverpool in Anfield last season or any time they play City in the Etihad.

Don't agree at all.

Against lower league opposition Poch sent out a team of players who needed various things i.e. form, match sharpness, experience at a new club.

Pretty sure he wasn't expecting Paulinho to play so poorly @ No.10 and might have expected him to offer some support to Soldado, didn't transpire.

Second half started, we looked quite comfortable, pressing further up the pitch but found it difficult to work the ball in the final third. We get caught on the break and we're one nil down.

Poch straight away makes two subs and BOOM, two goals. He then makes one more sub and BOOM, another goal. We ride out comfortable winners in the end.

One of the main criticisms of him at Southampton was his inability to make effective changes during a game, especially if they went behind.

Last night he proved them wrong. COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

irishmover wrote: »
    Like how everyone ignored the Arsenal fan on here and the twat just disappeared.

Funny that he as a new member with 9 posts managed to find our semi hidden forum:P the troll must be strong in that one;)

Don't agree at all.

Against lower league opposition Poch sent out a team of players who needed various things i.e. form, match sharpness, experience at a new club.

Pretty sure he wasn't expecting Paulinho to play so poorly @ No.10 and might have expected him to offer some support to Soldado, didn't transpire.

Second half started, we looked quite comfortable, pressing further up the pitch but found it difficult to work the ball in the final third. We get caught on the break and we're one nil down.

Poch straight away makes two subs and BOOM, two goals. He then makes one more sub and BOOM, another goal. We ride out comfortable winners in the end.

One of the main criticisms of him at Southampton was his inability to make effective changes during a game, especially if they went behind.

Last night he proved them wrong. COYS

I agree that he played players lacking sharpness etc., but I think he played them incorrectly (as in not to to their strengths) and thus squeezed square pegs in to round holes in a very stubborn manner. As you said, he played Paulinho as a No. 10...... why? That's not his position. There's players in the squad who do play that position and do need sharpness.

Though I can't agree with you saying we were comfortable. We were anything but, until the 85th minute!
    We passed the ball back and forth without taking a shot in anger, yet looked shaky at the back as they hammered the ball against our bar. If anything, Forrest were the comfortable ones - until they scored.

My point is that we didn't get the Forrest defence turned or have them running back towards their goal, because that's when opponents get uncomfortable. I've said it before, how many times this season has our midfield slid a ball down the channel for our striker to run on to? It just doesn't happen. Yet, the purpose of inverted wingers and playing a 4-5-1 is to play fast-paced short passes centrally, with a third man running (typically the striker) in behind the defence.... but it just doesn't happen. The tactics need to change.

I won't slate Poch, but the tactics need to be more dynamic. I want them to change/develop from one week to the next.

I agree that he played players lacking sharpness etc., but I think he played them incorrectly (as in not to to their strengths) and thus squeezed square pegs in to round holes in a very stubborn manner. As you said, he played Paulinho as a No. 10...... why? That's not his position. There's players in the squad who do play that position and do need sharpness.

Though I can't agree with you saying we were comfortable. We were anything but, until the 85th minute!
    We passed the ball back and forth without taking a shot in anger, yet looked shaky at the back as they hammered the ball against our bar. If anything, Forrest were the comfortable ones - until they scored.

My point is that we didn't get the Forrest defence turned or have them running back towards their goal, because that's when opponents get uncomfortable. I've said it before, how many times this season has our midfield slid a ball down the channel for our striker to run on to? It just doesn't happen. Yet, the purpose of inverted wingers and playing a 4-5-1 is to play fast-paced short passes centrally, with a third man running (typically the striker) in behind the defence.... but it just doesn't happen. The tactics need to change.

I won't slate Poch, but the tactics need to be more dynamic. I want them to change/develop from one week to the next.

What can we say about Paulinho, my guess is Poch doesn't rate his ability to be a holding midfielder and is trying to see if he can make it as one of the three behind the striker. It worked at home to Limassol so he can be forgiven for thinking it might work again.

We started the second half quite brightly. Agreed we looked vacant of ideas in the first half but the second we looked comfortable and they scored on the break. The subs provided a huge lift and once we equalised there was only going to be one winner.

I didn't think the tactics were poor as Poch clearly looked frustrated by the players lack of understanding and effort. I really think last night was just an opportunity taken by Poch to figure out who was grasping it and who was not, help players to find form and bed in etc.

For me, we should be playing with 2 up top against opposition that are blatantly inferior, such as forest and west brom. We need to adapt to each game accordingly, I like the 4231 formation but we have a decent striker in soldado, so give him a partner when we have the opportunity and see how does

• Advertisement

A trophy to be won, COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

A win tonight and were in the quarter finals, is that correct?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

#THFC team: Vorm, Naughton, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies; Dembele, Stambouli; Lennon (c), Kane, Townsend; Soldado.

#THFC subs: Friedel, Dier, Chiriches, Chadli, Lamela, Mason, Paulinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Lets hope for a morale boosting victory! And as Newcastle ruined my sunday i hope City destroy them!

Lennon captain?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Thanks for the link!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Unlike Townsend to have a shot :rolleyes: He does my head in that lad.

Advertisement