Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sports to gamble on

Options
  • 28-08-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm looking for a bit of advice on what sports are best to gamble on. I usually gamble on soccer as this is the sport I follow most but I know it's probably not the easiest to make money from.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any information on the benefits/drawbacks of betting on one sport over another or what type of bets offer the best value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

tennis no draws always a winner so only 2 results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Whatever sport you have the most knowledge on and think you can beat traders on

There is no point betting on something you are clueless on, there is no way you can win long term

• Registered Users Posts: 16 colin_shocks

I definitely agee that I'd be wasting my time (and money) betting on a sport I dont have a great knowledge of, that's why I do most of my gambling on soccer at the moment. My aim is to try and determine if there is another sport that would be "easier" to make money from so that I could start building up a good knowledge of it.

I like that idea on the tennis, I'd have a decent knowledge of men's tennis so I dont think it would take too much work to get to a good level of knowledge on it.

I've heard that a lot of professional gamblers bet on golf quite a bit, this seems a bit mad to me. I'd know quite a bit about golf but I never have much joy when I'm betting on it. I'd usually pick out 3 or 4 golfers and have a small each way bet on them for whatever tournament is on. Would anyone have any tips on other markets in golf that might be more worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭stingerro

This is one of the best golf tipsters on the net, he just posted his 3 new bets, he usually goes for winners (e/w). You can check his bets here - http://bettingkingdom.co.uk/tipsters/508

Regarding your opening question - sport doesn't matter, only thing that matters is your edge in any sports knowledge over bookie traders. PLus some not really easy for beginners stuff like discipline, money management, etc...

I don;t think there is a sports that I didn't bet on, but I mostly followed other tipsters bet. But it's kind of fun to be on stuff like table tennis or ski jumping and it's even more fun when bets like this win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I don't know anything about Athletics, but it seems lie a gold mine to me. If you can get in sharp right after the heats are run you can get very good prices. It's not like football where the favourite will win reliably, because it comes down to fitness and conditioning, so there are chances that the household name won't be in good shape. And during the heats former athletes can see. Even I can see it a little bit sometimes. I backed someone for a race in the comonwealth, against the favourite, because Michael Johnson said he's probably going to win after the heats, but the bookies still had the old favourite at odds against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Austria! wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Athletics, but it seems lie a gold mine to me. If you can get in sharp right after the heats are run you can get very good prices. It's not like football where the favourite will win reliably, because it comes down to fitness and conditioning, so there are chances that the household name won't be in good shape. And during the heats former athletes can see. Even I can see it a little bit sometimes. I backed someone for a race in the comonwealth, against the favourite, because Michael Johnson said he's probably going to win after the heats, but the bookies still had the old favourite at odds against.

Low turnover means that if you are winning that much won't be too long before you are restricted.

Also wouldn't base your assumptions on this year, Commonwealth's and European would be second tier competitions, this was a bit of a down year with no WC or OG many of the top athletes were not in top shape so results were alot more predictable/ very few athletes competing at peak performance to create competition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

lower league football get information on such teams that the traders may not have. I have seen odds on Irish Junior football that were very surprising at times.. Stay away from the major leagues in my opnion

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭NickMondo

anything that's good to gamble on you cant get much money on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Personally I think trading on sports like tennis, cricket american football and basketball.

Match odds swing like crazy if you have evenly capable opponents against each other.

Andy Murray is a traders dream in tennis, he's a notoriously slow starter so laying his starting odds and backing them when they raise in play is a hady way of making a few bob.

Scalping or 'DOBbing' horses is another method, but go and check out some videos on them and there are plenty of threads all over the internet dedicated to such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ManagerXI

In a nutshell can you compile your own odds mathematically for any sport with any degree of confidence?

Do you know what is good bankroll management?

If you don't know how to do either then as far as being profitable long term you are fighting a losing battle.

If you can do both then you are in the top 1% of gamblers and you have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭NickMondo

It "was" boxing, but considering if I go into powers shops now I can only get max bets on like 300e on 4/11 shots and the rest at 1/4 or some bs, it's not anymore. Lots of really good fights don't even get priced up, and you normally have to wait till 2 days out from the fight for the odds to appear, it's a sport the bookies clearly don't like or have an edge in so won't take any sort of decent money on.

Advertisement